PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 Scan

crowgraphy
30-Nov-2011, 10:36
Hi,

I shot my first 4X5 Film (Kodak Portra 400 ). When I scanned it, it came out bluish tint and no other color. The negative looked ok to me and I tried different setting on my Epson V700 scanner (Professional mode).

Anyone has any idea about this issue. Is it the issue with scanner setting (Scanner is brand new) or film processing?

Thanks in advance
Girish Sharma

Ari
30-Nov-2011, 10:40
Search the forum, there's been a lot written about this recently.
C-41 makes for a very frustrating scan, even if you have different shots of the same scene in the same light, etc
You need to correct pre-scan, using levels adjustment in Epson software, to begin with.

SMBooth
30-Nov-2011, 16:02
Set your colour channels separately in your scanning software

crowgraphy
30-Nov-2011, 16:30
Set your colour channels separately in your scanning software

Can you please elaborate a little? I am new to this and using Epson V700. I tried using adjusting tone, palette, level but of no use.

nonuniform
2-Dec-2011, 15:20
I have no problems scanning the Portra 400 4x5 with the Epson v-750 scanner. I do have to make some pre-scan adjustments for color balance, nothing major.

The Epson software has a toolbar that will allow you to edit levels and curves. The software is very very basic, so, not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking what a curve is?

Gene McCluney
2-Dec-2011, 15:22
There is a learning curve to get good scans, just as there is a learning curve to get good negatives.

crowgraphy
2-Dec-2011, 20:57
I have no problems scanning the Portra 400 4x5 with the Epson v-750 scanner. I do have to make some pre-scan adjustments for color balance, nothing major.

The Epson software has a toolbar that will allow you to edit levels and curves. The software is very very basic, so, not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking what a curve is?

No I know what curve is and other adjustment that are there in software. I had been editing pictures in photoshop for few years.
The issue that I am facing is, the scan is coming out with only blue color and no other color its not like a little blue cast on color photo.

SMBooth
2-Dec-2011, 22:37
Can you please elaborate a little? I am new to this and using Epson V700. I tried using adjusting tone, palette, level but of no use.

Sorry I was running out the door and forgot to come back.
I found this site was good explanation, different scanner but same software.
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2008/10/epson-3200-more-optimal-scans.html and http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/10/quick-negative-scan-tutorial.html