PDA

View Full Version : Updated web site, new product

John Brady
30-Nov-2011, 05:43
I have updated my web site with a new product from live books. They call this package scaler, it allows me to load fairly large images that resize based on the viewers monitor.

I think for us LF'ers it allows us to better show the detail we capture. The downside is it will load slower on a slow Internet connection and there is no flash, so if your system doesn't support flash you will be redirected to a HTML mirror site. There is a special site for iPhone/iPad users.

This is a work in process, I just launched it yesterday so I know I have some bugs to work out. The text over the image doesn't show up real well but I will fix that today.
There is no video content yet and once in a portfolio you have to click home at the top to get back.

I thought the product may be of interest to some of you so I am sharing. Let me know if you have any major issues.

www.timeandlight.com

Ari
30-Nov-2011, 11:56
John,

I like to see all the thumbnails as I'm flipping through the gallery.
Are there 15 photos? 60 photos? I like to know what I'm in for, or maybe I just want to jump around.

And I like having links on each page that can take you to other pages, so I don't have to go back to the home page each time I'd like to see a different gallery.

You're right about it being a little slow, but the size and clarity of the photos makes it well worth a little waiting time.

ps: nice work; not my kind of stuff, but very well executed and beautiful to look at.

John Brady
30-Nov-2011, 12:13
Thanks for the feedback Ari! It isn't very obvious but once you are in a portfolio you can select thumbs from the bottom menu. From there you can select any image you choose.

I'm with you on finding a better way to move through the site. As mentioned it still needs some work.

sully75
30-Nov-2011, 12:36
John, the two pictures I saw were really beautiful but it takes way too long to load to look at many.

Also I think you should meld the "in color" and "black and white" of each project. I hate to say this but I don't think those distinctions are particularly important.

sully75
30-Nov-2011, 12:36
woah some of this stuff is really beautful though. What are you scanning these on? Just lovely.

John Brady
30-Nov-2011, 12:54
Thanks Paul! I know it can load really slow if you don't have a high speed connection. This may end up being a serious problem. The quality of seeing larger images may make it worth while.

The size of each Portfolio is limited to 33 images, therefore I have to split things up. When I display my work I like to keep it seperate so I follow that on my web site too.

As for the scanning, for the most part it is 8x10 velvia 50 and t-max 100. My scanner is a Creo IQ2.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

www.timeandlight.com

sully75
30-Nov-2011, 13:33
I just checked my own website and it's loading very slowly too, so I guess it's my connection.

Nice stuff. Woah.

sully75
30-Nov-2011, 13:34
btw I think the service I use, viewbook, has 80% of the functionality of livebooks for a fraction of the price. Just sayin'! I'm not sure what they are charging now but they used to be ridiculous.

Ed Kelsey
30-Nov-2011, 16:46
I like how the images scale up with window size. Not so fond of the dashed line border though or even the overall site style and menu text. Great images though.

John Brady
1-Dec-2011, 13:36
I like how the images scale up with window size. Not so fond of the dashed line border though or even the overall site style and menu text. Great images though.

No argument on the dashed line, or some text issue. One of the problems with using a product like livebooks is you have to use what they have on the shelf or pay them dearly to customize. They don't have many options for their scaler product.

I weighed the pro's and cons and for me the benefits made it worth it.

www.timeandlight.com