PDA

View Full Version : Static static static...and scanning

Daniel Stone
29-Nov-2011, 23:42
Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you use any sort of device/whizbang contraption for de-staticifying film prior to scanning. Here in LA, the dry heat causes buildup of static when I scan, and its a real PITA to get clean film prior to scanning.

Now that I'm going to use my drum scanner(so to be up and running, I'm planning by christmas), I want an effective, inexpensive solution that works really well. Preferably something that doesn't touch the film, such as anti-static cloths, etc... I want a pressurized system. I've looked at the Simco gun, but that takes a compressor. I need a silent option(compressor that is) if I go that route. I was looking at these:

http://www.pgcscientifics.com/Bunn-BA-400A-Silent-Air-Compressor-JOHN-BUNN-p/l-618392.htm

Not sure if it'd work, but I've found one USED locally for really cheap, like under $100 in fully working condition. Not sure if its standard size fittings for an air hose, or if it'd work with the Simco gun...

any ideas?

-Dan

jp
30-Nov-2011, 07:00
You can get portable air tanks for refilling tires on the road, which you have to pre-fill before hand. That would dust quite a few negatives I think. It would require a compressor, but infrequently and not when/where you're dusting.

http://www.amazon.com/9-Gallon-Compressed-Air-Tank/dp/B002GQ8T5E

There may be suitable regulators for scuba and paintball tanks too, but that system is quite a bit more expensive.

I have a detached garage with an air compressor, and I just hooked up a line from it to my house via black p.e.t pipe; put a quick connect in my darkroom and house garage.

Daniel Stone
30-Nov-2011, 09:43
good idea on the scuba tank, there's a place in my town that does fill-ups of nitrogen and oxygen tanks for industrial clients, I'll see if they can offer services to a "small fish" customer like myself who only needs the occasional fill-up ;)

However, is there a moisture filter I'd need to install in-line to make sure the air is completely dry before hitting the ionizer gun?

thanks!

-Dan

vinny
30-Nov-2011, 10:05
What I found (when I had my drum scanner set up in L.A.) was that film needs to be scanned right out of the box. As soon as you take the film out to show your friends, the dust jumps on it. So much less dusting in photoshop if you scan right out of the box.

Preston
30-Nov-2011, 10:20
Daniel,

If you use a compressed gas, be sure to use either nitrogen or carbon dioxide; nitrogen is best. Pure oxygen will cause spontaneous combustion of any grease or oils that it comes into contact with.

--P

Peter York
30-Nov-2011, 11:12
Aztek sells antistatic film cleaner. I'm not sure how effective it is versus other methods.

I'm in Denver which is perpetually dry and dusty. I think getting a handle on dust in your scanner room is more important than film static, unless you are concerned about sparks with mounting fluid. A humidifier and HEPA filter will go a long way.

jp
30-Nov-2011, 11:36
compressed air is naturally dryer than normal air. It makes scuba divers mouths dry. It fills air compressor tanks with water which has to be drained. As air is compressed, the moisture doesn't compress, and the water precipitates.

If you use a scuba tank, you're supposed to have available your scuba certification when it's filled, or let them know it's not for scuba use (such as for paintball)

Daniel Stone
30-Nov-2011, 12:00
nitrogen it is then. That's #2 on the "to do list" today to find out about tanks and pricing. I think one of those 1/2 size tanks will last a while :).

paintball, thank God I didn't get into that, bought a tippman marker my freshman year of h.s. with a summer's worth of savings, only to look up the cost of paint long-term :). Needless to say it was gone in a week, thankfully for a profit(since I bought it used :D)

-Dan