PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tripod etc for 4x5 and 8x10 in the future

Tom J McDonald
29-Nov-2011, 21:28
I've been offered this combo.

Tripod - Gitzo 2531
Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1
Plate - Wimberley

Anyone here have any input about the above? I am using a Cambo monorail at the moment and don't venture too far away from the home or car.

Thanks,
Tom.

Tom J McDonald
30-Nov-2011, 14:09
No one?

John Koehrer
30-Nov-2011, 15:05
FWIW It's what they used to call a Series 2 or reporter.
Good for 35, MF & light 4x5. I'd think in terms more of a Series 3(Studex) or whatever the current nomenclature is, 35XX? if you're going larger.

I'd equate the 25XX with a Tiltall or Manfrotto 3021 for practical use.

Tom J McDonald
30-Nov-2011, 15:11
Thanks John, just what I was looking for.
Tom.

jeroldharter
30-Nov-2011, 15:15
You did not mention the cost.

I have an Arca Z1 head. Great tripod head for 4x5, but inadequate for 8x10.

Tom J McDonald
30-Nov-2011, 16:28
Jerold, he wants 900 for the lot and reckons he's used it twice since buying it new.

I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks all.

John Kasaian
30-Nov-2011, 17:08
Ries ;)

DrTang
30-Nov-2011, 18:22
I got my Majestic for like 75 bucks

heavy as all get-out..but sturdy and I'm using it on my C1

900 bones seems a lot to me

r.e.
30-Nov-2011, 18:48
I've been offered this combo.

Tripod - Gitzo 2531
Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1
Plate - Wimberley

Anyone here have any input about the above? I am using a Cambo monorail at the moment and don't venture too far away from the home or car.

Thanks,
Tom.

In the Gitzo line, I'd suggest a Series 3 tripod without a centre column.

I have an Arca-Swiss B2 myself, but for large format, I much prefer a pan and tilt head. If you want a geared head, Manfrotto makes the 410 and 405 supporting 11 and 16 lbs respectively. I think that the 405 is pushing it for 8x10, which is why I am now trying something else. Just started a thread on the subject, with some photos:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83828

Tom J McDonald
30-Nov-2011, 19:13
Thanks r.e.

Does anyone have experience with the G1515 or the G1500?
Both seem heavy enough but the 1515 only extends to 1.2m.

r.e.
30-Nov-2011, 19:31
Thanks r.e.

You will be fine with 3 leg extensions, no need to go to 2, but I'd suggest staying away from 4.

For your purposes, you are on the right track looking at the Systematic tripods.

Look at collapsed length too if you might travel with it.

I am very impressed with the Ries tripod and head that I just purchased, although as a person whose experience is with carbon fiber tripods, the weight of the Ries tripod is noticeable. For short distances, it is fine, and the infinite leg positioning is interesting. I don't know whether it is much heavier than the Gitzo aluminum that you are looking at. As for the head, I think that it is brilliant, and the price very attractive.

Tom J McDonald
30-Nov-2011, 20:25
r.e, I looked at the Reis and am impressed with the prices and they have a good rep.
Shipping to Australia would add more money though. I can get the Gitzo locally.

I will consider a Reis head; thanks for the suggestion.

joselsgil
1-Dec-2011, 00:05
If you are searching for a tripod for an 8X10. Check out the Miller tripods. I believe they are/were made in Oz, at least that is what my Miller's tag reads. It is not a light weight tripod. Made of wood and with metal hardware. Primarily made for motion picture work, but adaptable to still photography.
I purchased mine without a head for $50 USD and have seen them for $100 with a Miller fluid head. I installed a Manfrotto ball head adaptor and plan on using the Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 head.

Good hunting,

Jose

Tom J McDonald
1-Dec-2011, 03:41
Thanks Jose, I will keep an eye out.

Anyone know about this tripod?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Linhof-Pro-Heavy-Duty-tripod-/320801196240?pt=AU_TripodsMonopods&hash=item4ab13dc8d0#ht_541wt_1185

John Koehrer
1-Dec-2011, 10:44
Linhof has a very good reputation. The description doesn't show a height and the head has only tilt.
Having one axis tilt is not really a problem, look at the Reis that people like so much. The Linhof looks at first glance like a cine head but doesn't have a handle or anything that looks like damping mechanisms. They do tend to be overbuilt.

tgtaylor
1-Dec-2011, 11:30
Thanks r.e.

I use the G1500 with G1570M head with my Toyo 810G and have found it to be a rock solid support (I use 2 tripod blocks with the camera which the plate of the G1570has sufficient room for). But while suitable for a heavy camera like the 810G, the G1500 would be way overkill for a 4x5.

A far better 4x5 (and MF) choice would be the G1348 which weighs in at a tad under 5lbs without the center column which you don't need, and the Arca Swis Z1. I use that combination with my Toyo 45AX and P67II and found it to be rock solid. for example I am able to shoot the P67II at a slow shutter speed with a Pentax 400mm 67 lens (7 lbs) mounted off-axis with zero migration or visible vibration.

But for light weight and compact backpacking with a Toyo 45CF (~ 4lbs with normal lens attached) I use a Gitzo GT0540 with G1177M head. I wouldn't recommend using a ball head with a monorail camera especially an 8x10 monorail.

Thomas

Frank Petronio
1-Dec-2011, 12:52
You pretty quickly realize that you need multiple tripods for different cameras....

A #3 Gitzo is nice and solid for a 4x5 field camera and all-around. Of course smaller and lighter is always nicer for travel and backpacking. But you could also watch for a good deal on the big #5 and have that "overkill" which is always nice if you don't have to carry the tripod far.

Really anything the size of a Tiltall or larger would be a good match with a 4x5 Cambo, unless you have the fancy all-geared studio model that weighs a lot more than the basic friction-lock versions.

That old Linhof is a beast, they still make the legset but it costs $$$$. The head was meant to be used with a monorail that allowed Yaw movements at the rail clamp.

Oren Grad
1-Dec-2011, 17:10
FWIW, I use a Gitzo 340/1370M combination for loads up to about 12 pounds and a Gitzo 1505/1570M combination for heavier stuff. Both of the leg sets are 3-section, no center column.

Tom J McDonald
1-Dec-2011, 20:42
Thanks guys.

That Linhof is over 7 kilos so it may not be the right one for me, but it is cheaper by far than most others I've seen.

So far a Gitzo is looking the goods and the 1500 (being quite a bit cheaper than some others) is in 1st place.

Peter De Smidt
1-Dec-2011, 22:25
My main tripod is a Series 5 Gitzo, I forget the exact model. I have both flat plates and a slide column for it. The column can be handy in some situations. It's pretty substantial. I use the tripod for everything from 35mm to 8x10, although it's main use is with a Dslr or a 4x5 Toyo AX. If I'm in muck, I prefer a wooden tripod with huge spiked feet.

Robert Jonathan
2-Dec-2011, 21:22
Hi Tom,
I have Gitzo G1500 legs, no center column.

For me, it's the only tripod I will ever need and probably overkill, but overkill is good to me.

I have a 35mm DSLR that is used with an RRS ballhead, and a Horseman 4x5 and 8x10 that is used on the base of the tripod, though I'm contemplating getting an RRS leveling base to make things a bit easier.

The 8x10 is all metal and exceptionally heavy, and the tripod is just amazing. More like a "camera stand" than a tripod.

Oh, and it comes with a wrench for tightening/removing/adjusting the base plate and other stuff. :)

Tom J McDonald
4-Dec-2011, 15:16
Hi Tom,
I have Gitzo G1500 legs, no center column.

For me, it's the only tripod I will ever need and probably overkill, but overkill is good to me.

I have a 35mm DSLR that is used with an RRS ballhead, and a Horseman 4x5 and 8x10 that is used on the base of the tripod, though I'm contemplating getting an RRS leveling base to make things a bit easier.

The 8x10 is all metal and exceptionally heavy, and the tripod is just amazing. More like a "camera stand" than a tripod.

Oh, and it comes with a wrench for tightening/removing/adjusting the base plate and other stuff. :)

Robert, thanks for that information, it's very encouraging.

So why don't you use a head with your larger cameras?

Leigh
4-Dec-2011, 16:04
Another vote for Majestic, although they may not be common DU.

They come in a single-leg and double-leg (per side) style. I have one of each.

I use the double-leg version for my 8x10 Tachihara. It just yawns, and doesn't even know there's a camera mounted.

When I'm not shooting I use them to jack up the car for an oil change. :D

=====

Re the head... I would never use a ball head for a view camera. It's difficult enough setting one axis level at a time.
With a pan/tilt head you set the column vertical and the horizontal axis level, then you can adjust elevation as needed without gyrations.

- Leigh

John Koehrer
4-Dec-2011, 16:27
The Majestics are good but would be approaching the weight of the earlier mentioned Linhof and shipping would likely be a tad bit high.

The Series 5 Gitzo's will hold just about anything and what they won't hold you wouldn't want to lug about.
Series 3's should be good up to 5X7, no sweat.

Frank Petronio
4-Dec-2011, 16:42
Once you resign yourself to the weight and bulk, all of the bigger tripods from Gitzo, Linhof, Majestic, Ries are really nice quality.

r.e.
4-Dec-2011, 16:50
Series 3's should be good up to 5X7, no sweat.

Here's my 8x10 on a Gitzo Series 3. If I thought that I needed a Series 5, I'd get one, but I don't. This is completely stable. It should be. The camera is about 9lb plus lens and the tripod is rated for about 25lb.

I also have a Ries at this point, but that has to do with my interest in the head and the greater flexibility of the tripod legs in some situations, not because I think that a Gitzo Series 3 can't handle an 8x10 camera.

Tom J McDonald
4-Dec-2011, 16:51
I don't mind the weight of the bigger ones as I'm not walking around the bush. It will be at home or close to the car.

G1500 is it I think.

Majestics just don't come up here and shipping would be a bitch.

It would be the same with Ries, shipping would be the killer.

Ari
4-Dec-2011, 20:11
I've been using this for over a year, with a Manfrotto 3039 head, and I love it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html

Great price, too.

Tom J McDonald
4-Dec-2011, 20:37
Ari, now that's interesting to me.
Have you used an 8x10 monorail with it?

Ari
4-Dec-2011, 20:49
Tom, I used to own a Toyo 810G, and that tripod/head combination was great for 8x10.
It handled the 810G like it was nothing.
It's rated for 40lbs or something crazy.
The poor-ish man's Gitzo.
I've given up 8x10, at least for now, but it holds all my other cameras and lenses.
If you need to save on weight, I think there's a CF version, albeit more expensive.

Robert Jonathan
4-Dec-2011, 21:16
So why don't you use a head with your larger cameras?

I'm not sure Tom... I've been considering a 3 way head and/or a leveling base, but I don't feel too comfortable with the thought of using those. I'm sure they'd be fine though.

The legs on the Gitzo let me angle the camera if I need to, but I'm usually only shooting leveled portraits, so no need for a head so far.

The Horseman 8x10 weighs approximately 20 pounds, tripod not included. It ain't no Arca Swiss. :)

Tom J McDonald
4-Dec-2011, 22:06
Robert,
Thanks for that. I'll be using the tripod in much the same way, so we'll see how we go.
Thanks everyone very much for your responses.

Ari,
My local tripod place (400km away) has them in stock and I'll check them out!
Tom.