PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone processing Astia 100F & Velvia 100F with Tetenal E-6 and Jobo CPP-2?

Jerry Greer
12-Oct-2003, 19:08
Is anyone processing Astia 100F & Velvia 100F with Tetenal E-6 and Jobo CPP-2? Now that digital has taken over the market Jobo techs do not have time to test the new Fuji films for 1st development times so I'm hoping that someone out there is using Tetenal E-6 chemicals and a Jobo rotary processor to process the new Fuji films. The advice that the Jobo techs gave me in the past was to run Velvia 50 at 7 minutes 30 seconds, Provia at 7 minutes and all Kodak E films at the recommended 6 minutes 30 seconds for 1st development times. Now that I am testing the new Velvia 100F and Astia 100F for their color and grain structure I would like to get the 1st development times correct. Hope that someone out there can offer their help and speed-up my processing by alleviating allot of testing.

Jerry

www.jerrygreerphotography.com

mark blackman
12-Oct-2003, 23:44
Jerry, Ive been processing Velvia and Provia in Jobo 2509 and Expert tanks on a Jobo CPA2 processor for a while, I use the Tetenal 3 step chemistry. I've always used 7:30 time for the 1st development step, timed from when the tank is full to when the first wash fills the tank. Never had a problem with this combination.

Jerry Greer
13-Oct-2003, 07:02
Mark,

Maybe you didn't read the question that I asked clearly, the new Velvia 100F & Astia 100F are a completely different film from their older counterparts. As you will notice, I have the times for the old Velvia 50 and Provia 100 listed and, yes, they are listed at 7 minutes 30 seconds. The old Astia was to be processed at an 8% addition of time above posted 6 minutes 30 seconds, which would be approx. 7 minutes. I use the Tetenal E-6 6 bath 5-liter kit and in the past with Velvia 50 and Kodak E100VS the processing times listed have been spot on. I’m hoping that someone is processing the NEW Velvia and Astia 100F films in their Jobo processor and can offer their findings on first development times. Though, I do appreciate your attempt at answering my question in such a timely manner.

Regards,

Jerry

Paul Schilliger
13-Oct-2003, 15:08
Sorry, I don't have your answer either, Jerry. But reading your post just got some wheels turning. The lab where I used to drop and pick up my chromes just stopped doing that as a consequence of the digital revolution. I will have to mail my films from now on. But I still have a Jobo processor and all the spools and tanks that I used for B&W and Ilfochrome. Could you comment a little bit on how easy and affordable it is to run the E6 process, how much film you must process at a time to make it worth it and if the baths have a certain life span or are lost after one use? I'd appreciate! Thanks! Paul

Jerry Greer
13-Oct-2003, 17:08
Paul,

Which Jobo processor do you have? Will you be processing 4x5 transparencies? If so, do you have the drum and inserts to process 4x5 transparencies/negs? I have the CPP-2 w/ lift and use the Expert drum 3010 that processes 10 each 4x5 sheets with 330 ml of chemical. So, I can process around 150 sheets out of the 5 liter E-6 kit that costs $70.00. If you figure it all up that’s just under $.50 per sheet. The downside to it is the time, about 35 – 40 minutes per 10 sheets. I love to process my own film! I guess I’m a control freak and I have yet to screw something up. The key is controlling the time and temperature and that is what makes the Jobo so great. I also have a CPE-2 Plus with lift set up for E-6 6 bath processing and the drum to hold 12 transparencies with the film loader for the drum. If you need any of the extra film drums and such let me know. I’m going to part with the extra setup in the near future.

Jerry

Paul Schilliger
14-Oct-2003, 01:52
Hi Jerry,

Same gear as far as I remember (its all burried in a wooden container), the processor is the one with a cold water inlet for temperature control (CPP2, I think) and the drums have the inserts for both sheets and 120/220 films. But I have yet to find a new darkroom, for the one I used is no longer available and the bathroom-laundry might not be the best place to prevent dust from sticking to the wet sheets! Is it possible to fraction the chemicals and use them over a certain period of time? Thanks!

Paul

kthompson
14-Oct-2003, 15:32
let me preface this by saying that, yes I read the original question several days ago--and no, I don't use a jobo or tetenal. But I *do* run 6 step E6 in another brand of automatic rotary processor --so, here goes....

Basically I was going to suggest possibly using a standard First Developer time and biasing your film speeds around this. Otherwise, to use 3 sets of times, is similar to doing pushes & pulls. If 6:30 is your time for one film, and you go to 7 and then 7:30, this is about a quarter to third stop push. BTW--6 is about what the aim would be for normal, with 7 on the high end, and 5 on the low--if you were running control strips. The time I use is 6 min for *all* E6. I used to run some Astia, but haven't touched the new stuff yet. My worry wouldn't be so much with speed, but with color--the only real processing difference I found with regards to old Provia and the newer emulsions, was in the color balance--and the way Fuji likes to have longer final washes than some other types of chrome film, plus pH drift in the color developer.

I guess my answer then is to leave the first developer time alone, try to get a standard process for *all* types of chrome film, and adjust the speeds you expose the film--your EI--back to the process. Or another way to do it is to use control strips to get to this point, then run film. Hope this helps.