PDA

View Full Version : how do i start in LF?

Pablo_Rossi
28-Nov-2011, 19:31
hello. Would you give me some advice in order to start in LF.
thanks
Pablo

r.e.
28-Nov-2011, 19:48
Pablo, it would help a great deal if you gave a general idea of what you want to do with large format and how much money you want to spend.

If your question is rather terse for language reasons, just ask in Spanish. The lingua Franca of this forum may be English, but probably the world is not going to end if some of the answers to your question are in another of the world's great languages :)

chassis
28-Nov-2011, 19:59
Hi Pablo,

I just started in LF a few months ago. I did alot of reading on this site to help guide my equipment decisions. I shoot mostly portraits and nature/landscapes, and the camera I decided on was a Toyo 45AII metal field camera. It has served me well so far. I suggest a "standard" lens to start with. A 150mm lens is a popular one for 4x5, and a 210mm lens is also common. You will also need a tripod, several film holders, and a cable release.

You will get many different recommendations on equipment, so it comes down to what type of photography you like, and your budget for equipment. This site, and craigslist, are good sources for reasonably priced LF gear.

Good luck and have fun.

r.e.
28-Nov-2011, 20:08
This site, and craigslist, are good sources for reasonably priced LF gear.

Are you saying that Craigslist is a good source of reasonably priced large format gear in Buenos Aires?

Alan Gales
28-Nov-2011, 21:47
Hello Pablo,

I would start off with a cheap used 4x5. I'd recommend a monorail because they are the easiest to learn movements with. Others on here would recommend a Crown Graphic.

After you use the camera for a while you will learn what you like and don't like and will probably want something else. Then you can always sell your camera for close to what you paid for it and buy what you want then.

As for a first lens I'd buy a normal focal length, anywhere from 135mm to 210mm. These lenses are cheaper and also easier to learn on. I'd look for a used lens in an accurate modern Copal shutter.

Large Format Photography is an excellent place to buy gear. If what you want does not show up for sale then list what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. KEH has a very good reputation and of course there is always Ebay.

If you haven't all ready, read the Home Page. There is a wealth of information there!

Alan

Alan Gales
28-Nov-2011, 21:52
That's Large Format Photography Forum is an excellent place to buy gear. Sorry!

GeorgesGiralt
29-Nov-2011, 08:49
Hello Pablo,
In France where I live, there is a saying that the first camera you get won't suit you for long. So at one point, when you've practiced enough, you'll want to change the camera !
If you respect this saying, you'll understand that the camera isn't the part to spend much money on. IMHO, buy a decent looking monorail camera (because it is the most versatile and easiest to learn with) but most importantly, buy the best lens you can afford. Why ? because you'll switch camera but not the lens....
At first, I'll go for something like a Sinar Norma or Sinar F (or equivalent) because they are plenty on the used market and because you'll find missing parts easily. Then buy a very good 150 mm lens form the Gang of Four ( Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji or Nikon) a couple of DDS, and film.
Set your biggest tripod in your kitchen, put the camera on it, compose a still life on the kitchen table and practice, practice, practice.
Buy a couple of good books on the subject and try and practice what you learn in your kitchen.
It is not that easy to get a technically perfect 4x5 negative starting from scratch.
Then, when you're confident enough, start the same setup in your garden (to cope with wind, moisture, etc...) and when confident enough, try the same setup in a place in your city where you'll be amazed by the amount of questions you get. Getting a technically perfect image in these conditions could be a challenge..

After all of this, you'll know exactly what to get from a view camera, and what kind of images you'll want to make. Then, you may find that the monorail camera is not your choice or that the particular monorail camera you've got is not that good... But the next buy will be a more educated buy ! (and you'll sell the first one for the same price you bought it in the first place....)
Now, for what is the best 150 mm focal lens ask here ;-) but remember to spare money for the film.. and practice !

Just my two cents, because, I've been there and done that....

BrianShaw
29-Nov-2011, 09:01
My suggestion would be to slow down just a bit, and read about LF photography and understand what you want to be able to do. Then worry about buying gear. LF photography is NOT just about gear!

Greg Miller
29-Nov-2011, 09:08
A good place to start would be the article under "How to get started in large format photography" here on this site: http://www.largeformatphotography.info

Edward (Halifax,NS)
29-Nov-2011, 09:20
LF photography is not about gear? I thought we were all tech junkies. ;-)

The two most important things are "what do you want to photograph?" and "where do you want to photograph?". They will determine what camera and lens(es) you will need to buy.

For most uses a 150mm or 210mm lens from one of the main four manufacturers is an excellent choice as a first lens. They can be bought used in excellent condition for between $200-400 each.

Edward

Eric Rose
29-Nov-2011, 09:29
The first thing I would do is head down to one of the older camera stores in your area and chat up the more seasoned employees. Ask then who is shooting LF, are there any LF groups active, camera clubs that might have LF shooters. Hopefully you will be able to meet up with some like minded individuals who can take you under their wing.

Beyond the technical aspects LF photography to me at least is a lot like fly fishing. You take your time, "feel" your environment and are more hands on with the tools.

I will assume you already are a photographer and don't need basic photography advise whoever I have always wanted to see your lovely city. If you want to fly me down and put me up for a week I will show you all you need to know to get stunning photographs from a LF camera.

Stephane
29-Nov-2011, 10:21
Learn from -as opposed to be discouraged by- your mistakes.
Not just about the act of making pictures, but also getting some gear that is not suited to your needs (but convinced yourself otherwise).

Pablo_Rossi
29-Nov-2011, 20:43
Hi everyone.
First of all, I want to thank you for your advice.

r.e.: I want to photograph landscape and nature and I have usd 3.000 as an initial budget.

Chassis: I am also learning from this site, it’s amazing. For the moment the only LF camera I find in my country is a TOYO 45A
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-134197571-camara-toyo-field-45a-accesorios-funcionando-100-_JM

Alan: What do you think about the Toyo that I posted above.?

Georges: For the moment I am reading Ansel Adams, what other books would you recommend? I hope I can buy the film for a view camera here!

Bryan: I am trying to slow down…..but I can’t…. :-)

Greg: Thanks for the link!

Eric: I am studying photography with a canon ae-1, fd 50 mm 1.4 , and old flash vivitar 285 , and a heavy japanese tripod. I want to be a professional photographer. I hope that in the near future I will invite you to visit Buenos Aires.

Stephane: Understood!

Take Care
Pablo

false_Aesthetic
29-Nov-2011, 21:02
pablo. PM coming your way.

Pawlowski6132
29-Nov-2011, 21:41
Are you saying that Craigslist is a good source of reasonably priced large format gear in Buenos Aires?

Yes. Why not?

Edward (Halifax,NS)
30-Nov-2011, 07:48
Pablo,

The problem with that deal is that there are too many lenses included between 135mm and 180mm. If I were to buy it I would look to sell the two 150mm lenses. I don't know what the used market is in your part of the world but you could probably get $400 for the two of them. If the 90mm Angulon did not meet my needs I would eventually upgrade to one of the more modern 90mm lenses. To bad the kit didn't come with film holders and a loupe. Then you would be set.

That said, I would love to upgrade to a Toyo 45A for landscape photography.

Edward

jm51
30-Nov-2011, 12:12
I'm in a similar position to the OP except that I haven't done anything with film for over 20 years and have also done very little with digital.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a reasonable quality 6 x 9 folder to make lots of mistakes with first before jumping into lf. Sound like a plan?

chassis
30-Nov-2011, 14:36
Hi Pablo, I am very satisfied with the Toyo 45AII (very similar to the 45A). The price seems high. I paid about USD$1200 for a near mint condition 45AII with two lensboards, and near mint condition Nikkor 150mm lens in a Copal 0 shutter.

Alan Gales
30-Nov-2011, 14:58
Pablo,

The Toyo 45A and 45A ll are excellent field cameras. They are made of metal and are very durable. There is not much difference between the two. The 45A ll is of course newer and has a rotating back and the knobs have a rubberized grip on them. The rotating back is nice but not necessary and does add a little weight.

A very good friend of mine owns a very clean Toyo 45A and loves it. I offered to trade my wooden Tachihara for it but he just laughed! :D

I would pass on the camera that you are looking at. If you buy it you may later find that the lenses that come with it don't suit you. If you want a 45A I would look for one with one normal lens or without a lens. Keep it cheap and put your money in film. After you shoot your camera for a while you will have a better idea what additional lenses you want.

Alan

Robert Oliver
30-Nov-2011, 15:15
How do you start in LF?

buy a cheap speed graphic or studio view camera and start ruining film....

Edward (Halifax,NS)
30-Nov-2011, 15:35
I would pass on the camera that you are looking at. If you buy it you may later find that the lenses that come with it don't suit you. If you want a 45A I would look for one with one normal lens or without a lens. Keep it cheap and put your money in film. After you shoot your camera for a while you will have a better idea what additional lenses you want.

Alan

Alan, the problem with this idea is that I expect there are a lot less choices on the used market than there are in the US.

Pablo, if you were to buy a camera from the US what would be the shipping and import charges? How expensive would chassis $1200 camera and one lens be by the time it got to you in Argentina?

Edward

GabrielSeri
30-Nov-2011, 16:28
Hi everyone.
First of all, I want to thank you for your advice.

r.e.: I want to photograph landscape and nature and I have usd 3.000 as an initial budget.

Chassis: I am also learning from this site, it’s amazing. For the moment the only LF camera I find in my country is a TOYO 45A
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-134197571-camara-toyo-field-45a-accesorios-funcionando-100-_JM

Alan: What do you think about the Toyo that I posted above.?

Georges: For the moment I am reading Ansel Adams, what other books would you recommend? I hope I can buy the film for a view camera here!

Bryan: I am trying to slow down…..but I can’t…. :-)

Greg: Thanks for the link!

Eric: I am studying photography with a canon ae-1, fd 50 mm 1.4 , and old flash vivitar 285 , and a heavy japanese tripod. I want to be a professional photographer. I hope that in the near future I will invite you to visit Buenos Aires.

Stephane: Understood!

Take Care
Pablo

Hola Pablo,

Yo tengo un Toyo 45A y te lo recomiendo. Es metal y dura mucho tiempo, no es tan flexible como una camara hecha de madera. Toyo es una buena marca con muchos accesorios para la camara. Que lentes estas pensando comprar? Un 210mm o 180mm es un lente normal. Hay un fotografo argentino que vive en Buenos Aires que conoci por su blog. http://unafotopordia.blogspot.com/ Se llama Alejandro Gulminelli, por ahi te puede dar una mano. Tambien hay un fotografo argentino en este foro que vive en la patagonia me parece. Se llama Nicholas http://blog.patagonialandscapes.com/

Cualquier cosa que ellos no te atienden mandame un email gabrielseri@hotmail.com si tenes mas preguntas.

P.D. mis padres son de Buenos Aires pero yo naci en los estados unidos. Saludos y suerte.

GabrielSeri
30-Nov-2011, 16:30
Shipping and import charges are a killing in Argentina, he is better off buying in Argentina.

Alan Gales
30-Nov-2011, 16:35
Alan, the problem with this idea is that I expect there are a lot less choices on the used market than there are in the US.

Pablo, if you were to buy a camera from the US what would be the shipping and import charges? How expensive would chassis $1200 camera and one lens be by the time it got to you in Argentina?

Edward

Edward, You make a very good point. Shipping and import charges can really put a damper on things!

Alan

GabrielSeri
30-Nov-2011, 16:36
Trust me, unfortunately the shipping guys in Argentina are kind of corrupt, so not only will it be expensive but you will end up paying a little something something on the side to the officer.

Pablo_Rossi
1-Dec-2011, 18:53
Hi Edward.
If i want to buy something abroad, i have to pay 50% tax (custom duties) plus shipping. And be lucky enough that the custom officer doesnt keep the staff for his own business.....

Edward

Pablo_Rossi
1-Dec-2011, 18:58
Gracias por la referencias!. Todavia no sabria decirte que lentes comprar, me interesa usar lentes que sean utiles para paisajes y naturaleza.
Abrazo

Hola Pablo,

Yo tengo un Toyo 45A y te lo recomiendo. Es metal y dura mucho tiempo, no es tan flexible como una camara hecha de madera. Toyo es una buena marca con muchos accesorios para la camara. Que lentes estas pensando comprar? Un 210mm o 180mm es un lente normal. Hay un fotografo argentino que vive en Buenos Aires que conoci por su blog. http://unafotopordia.blogspot.com/ Se llama Alejandro Gulminelli, por ahi te puede dar una mano. Tambien hay un fotografo argentino en este foro que vive en la patagonia me parece. Se llama Nicholas http://blog.patagonialandscapes.com/

Cualquier cosa que ellos no te atienden mandame un email gabrielseri@hotmail.com si tenes mas preguntas.

P.D. mis padres son de Buenos Aires pero yo naci en los estados unidos. Saludos y suerte.

GabrielSeri
2-Dec-2011, 15:04
Un lente de 90mm es un buen lente de angulo ampliar. Y 210mm o 180mm seria un buen estandard. No creo que te podes quejar con esos 2 para empezar.