PDA

View Full Version : Sheet film processing time?

stradibarrius
28-Nov-2011, 17:23
When I process 120 roll film in a small tank using HC110 dil "H", 8min works for me.
Processing sheet film in a tray, using the same developer would the time change?

Gem Singer
28-Nov-2011, 17:39
As long as the sheet film and roll film are the same type of emulsion, the temperature of the developer, and frequency of the agitation method is similar, the total development time should remain the same.

Suggestion: Develop one sheet in a tray for 8 min.. See if it matches the contrast of your 120 roll film. Adjust the developing up or down, if necessary.

stradibarrius
28-Nov-2011, 18:17
Thannks

Bill Burk
28-Nov-2011, 21:27
I recently developed rolls of TMY-2 in D-76 1:1 at 68 degrees F for 9:45 small tank, 3 inversions each 30 seconds.

Results:
CI 0.47 35mm
CI 0.52 120

I regularly develop TMY-2 4x5 same chem/temp in 5x7 tray, stacked 6 sheets shuffling continuously.

Results:
CI 0.48 4x5 tray 10 min

So the time/temp agitation all seems to pretty much align as Gem Singer says.

But, I most frequently develop my 4x5 to CI 0.62, which takes longer (13:30).

So there might be a reason to develop longer, but it would be to get a longer scale negative which might be more appropriate for LF than it would be for miniature formats.

Eric Woodbury
28-Nov-2011, 23:28
I wondering if there is a rule of thumb for conversion from continuous agitation, as with sheet film in a tube, every 30 second inversions, as with roll film in a tank? I've been trying to align the same film, HP5+, in the same developer with such conditions and find, of course, that the occasional agitation of the tank takes longer than my continuous rolling/floating agitation of a tube in a tub of water. Any thoughts? More testing?

Thanks

Bruce Osgood
29-Nov-2011, 07:47
I wondering if there is a rule of thumb for conversion from continuous agitation, as with sheet film in a tube, every 30 second inversions, as with roll film in a tank? I've been trying to align the same film, HP5+, in the same developer with such conditions and find, of course, that the occasional agitation of the tank takes longer than my continuous rolling/floating agitation of a tube in a tub of water. Any thoughts? More testing?

Thanks

I have just found that there need not be a difference in TIME when rolling a drum/tube (JOBO) and inversion (TANK). I do all negative development with a JOBO and learned to reduce time by 15% from published inversion times. This is not true! You MAY choose to reduce time or even extend it but it is not a development style matter, but one of more or less volume, oxidation or perhaps even swelling of grain in continuous submersion.

I would suggest when rolling to start with the published times for inversion and see what develops. I was very surprised, you may be too.

E. von Hoegh
29-Nov-2011, 08:04
When I process 120 roll film in a small tank using HC110 dil "H", 8min works for me.
Processing sheet film in a tray, using the same developer would the time change?

That's exactly what I use for sheet film (8x10 TXP) in a tray. Agitation will affect the contrast, I use gentle rocking at 30 second intervals.