PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Super-Angulon XL 90mm filter question

rulonpete
28-Nov-2011, 10:12
I just bought a Schnieder Super-Angulon XL 90mm lens and am wondering if this lens requires special wide angle filters. For example, can I use a normal 95mm polorizer filter or do I need to get the 'extra wide' version, which costs roughly $100 more. The product summery on the 'extra wide' version states, "B&W Extra-Wide's are special filters for wide-angle lenses. In order to prevent vignetting, the accessory thread on the front is larger". Is this really an issue for these new lenses? I pasted URLs for both filters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/95094-REG/B_W_65017604_95mm_Kaeseman_Linear_Polarizer.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10930-REG/B_W_65075250_95mm_Kaeseman_Linear_Polarizer.html

Also, do I need any special filters designed for wide ange lenses, say for light drop off? I have heard of center filters...Thanks!

Eric Woodbury
28-Nov-2011, 13:03
Once you get the rings out of the way, the filter thickness can induce some distortion as the angle of the light through the lens becomes extremely off-axis. You can use gels for colored filters for this or get thin glass. Gels are cheaper. Of course, polarizers are not available as a gel, but you can get plastic versions that aren't very thick. Depending on what you are photographing, a polarizer can be more problems than they are worth. Outside for landscape work, a wide angle view reveals that the sky has a large polarization component that gives an odd look.

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2011, 13:54
What Eric is trying to say is that some areas of the sky are naturally polarized while other areas are not. When using a polarizer and photographing large areas of sky, as you will with a W/A lens, you will include both polarized and non-polarized sky areas. The areas that are polarized will appear as darker blue then the unpolarized areas when shooting them with a polarizing filter. Thus you will have blue bands of sky area.

Glass slim polarizers are available in very thin versions today. If possible, never use a plastic polarizer, unless you want to sacrifice resolution and probably introduce color artifacts.

As for EW type filters, All they really are is a filter in a step-up ring. But they are much thicker then a slim polarizer and a quality brass step-up ring. For this reason Heliopan stopped making EW filters (except for the center filters) and instead use the slim polarizer and, when necessary, a step-up ring. Normally you would use a filter two sizes larger then the filter that would screw directly in and the step-up ring to that size.

Yes, you may need a center filter depending on what and how you shoot. If you do you would need a polarizer, or other filters large enough to screw into the front of the center filter.

rulonpete
28-Nov-2011, 14:00
Thanks for the info. I am planning on buying thin glass filters. They're just a little hard to find in both yellow and red.

So do you suggest that if I plan to do landscape work, I skip over a polarizer for the wide angle lens?

One other question...I have three lenses that have 95mm, 77mm and 58mm diameters. Is there any reason why I cannot use two step down rings in order to use one set of 95mm filters to get first to 77mm and then 58mm?

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2011, 14:08
Thanks for the info. I am planning on buying thin glass filters. They're just a little hard to find in both yellow and red.

So do you suggest that if I plan to do landscape work, I skip over a polarizer for the wide angle lens?

One other question...I have three lenses that have 95mm, 77mm and 58mm diameters. Is there any reason why I cannot use two step down rings in order to use one set of 95mm filters to get first to 77mm and then 58mm?

Heliopan only makes thin filters in non-rotating mounts. That means that all Heliopan black and white, color warming and cooling filters are thin types with front filter threads. But as that type of filter is now a very slow seller they are mostly special order items.

rulonpete
28-Nov-2011, 14:19
I meant step up rings, not step down. I'm trying to from from 95mm to 77mm and then 58mm, thus covering the Schneider SA 90 XL, Schneider 210, and Schneider 150, all with the filters for the 90 XL lens.

Thanks for the info about the polarizer and blue sky. That is new to me and good to know.

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2011, 14:49
I meant step up rings, not step down. I'm trying to from from 95mm to 77mm and then 58mm, thus covering the Schneider SA 90 XL, Schneider 210, and Schneider 150, all with the filters for the 90 XL lens.

Thanks for the info about the polarizer and blue sky. That is new to me and good to know.

I would use seperate rings, each directly to the largest size, that minimizes both the weight and the thickness.

rulonpete
28-Nov-2011, 14:59
I can't seem to find a 58mm to 95mm. Can the thickness create optical issues? I can deal with the weight I guess.

Thanks for the help. You have both taught me a lot about filters I did not know before this post.

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2011, 16:11
I can't seem to find a 58mm to 95mm. Can the thickness create optical issues? I can deal with the weight I guess.

Thanks for the help. You have both taught me a lot about filters I did not know before this post.

Just checked, at least from Heliopan it would have to be two rings. Sorry.

rulonpete
29-Nov-2011, 12:33
Bob, thanks for checking. I think I'm pretty set now.