PDA

View Full Version : Anyone repair SEI light meters???

Jim Andrada
26-Nov-2011, 17:04
I have an SEI Extinction Photometer that I bought new sometime back in the 70's. It didn't seem to survive my last move for some reason, although there's no apparent damage. In spite of it being heavier than a lot of cameras and somewhat finicky to use, I really liked it because you could use a little intelligence to meter things smaller than the 1/2 degree spot - I remember once being able to get a good reading on an overhead electrical line.

Probably overkill, but...

Anyhow, I've heard that there are still a few folks around who can repair and re-calibrate these antiques, so if someone here knows anyone I'd appreciate a lead.

Thanks

David Lindquist
26-Nov-2011, 18:18
I have an SEI Extinction Photometer that I bought new sometime back in the 70's. It didn't seem to survive my last move for some reason, although there's no apparent damage. In spite of it being heavier than a lot of cameras and somewhat finicky to use, I really liked it because you could use a little intelligence to meter things smaller than the 1/2 degree spot - I remember once being able to get a good reading on an overhead electrical line.

Probably overkill, but...

Anyhow, I've heard that there are still a few folks around who can repair and re-calibrate these antiques, so if someone here knows anyone I'd appreciate a lead.

Thanks

It may be of some use to know that Quality Light Metric does not work on these. I asked last week when I called to see if they could replace the window in my Weston Master V. I'd be grateful if someone could remind me of the name of Quality Light Metric's owner. He always seems like a real nice guy when I talk to him and of course he has a great reputation. Basically he said that parts are not available and in particular the selenium cell is not available. I have an SEI that does not function. They are wonderful instruments, even just to handle and admire the mechanical quality.
David

Jim Andrada
26-Nov-2011, 20:32
Maybe we should start an SEI sub forum - there might be a half dozen of us still kicking.

I've always wondered why we couldn't come up with a different sensor made with modern technology as the sliding prism mechanism should, in principle, work with any sensor technology. Maybe even use one of the little cameras on a chip that are in cell phones. I bet it would fit.

David Lindquist
26-Nov-2011, 21:45
Haven't read this in detail, but here's something that google turned up:
http://www.huwswebthing.talktalk.net/sei.htm
David

Jim Andrada
26-Nov-2011, 23:29
http://www.robertsuomala.com/5.html

Here's another link - I recall seeing this a couple of years back and I think the author actually lives within a 45 minute drive from Tucson.

I'll try to get in touch with him.

Bill Burk
27-Nov-2011, 08:59
I repaired mine, but was in "the zone" at the time and lately can't get myself back into that state of mind.

There is something so cool about the D cell, light bulb, selenium cell and ammeter low-tech construction that I would feel wrong putting a voltage-controlled LED inside. If the meter unit was the non-functional part, I'd create an external "calibrated" spot and adjust the internal bulb to that.

I found a suitable clear bulb and frosted it with sandpaper.

My needle moves but doesn't reach the official mark, so I used a piece of screen protector to temporarily apply my own new mark.

Great if Robert Suomala is able to help you.

William Whitaker
27-Nov-2011, 10:14
...I'd be grateful if someone could remind me of the name of Quality Light Metric's owner. He always seems like a real nice guy when I talk to him and of course he has a great reputation...

George Milton is the contact name I have.

Interesting thread as I've managed to accrue two of these things myself.