PDA

View Full Version : What have you "donated" to TSA?

Tom Westbrook
10-Oct-2003, 07:51
On a recent trip TSA confiscated my little Gitzo double box-end wrench (for changing between column and flat platforms) and they were quite reluctant to let me keep my Rodenstock spanner wrench (flat metal square with small bits projecting out about 1/4"), but did let me keep it. Tools are prohibited on TSA's list (http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_7_24_2003.pdf), but I guess it didn't penetrate my brain that these two items would be questioned (also I'd forgotten I was carrying them around with me in my LF bag). They are inexpensive items, so the loss of the wrench isn't a big deal. Others might want to go through their bags for the odd item that TSA disallows.

Anyone else have something questioned or confiscated by airport security that surprised them at the time?

Alan Davenport
10-Oct-2003, 12:07
I haven't had the experience; haven't flown since 9/11. Looking at the TSA's List of Permitted and Prohibited Items, (http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_7_24_2003.pdf) though, I'm slightly heartened to see where it says, "The checked baggage screening equipment will damage undeveloped film in camera equipment. We recommend that you either put undeveloped film and cameras containing undeveloped film in your carry-on baggage or take undeveloped film with you to the checkpoint and ask the screener to conduct a hand-inspection." Sounds like they do understand, at least the folks in the office. It might not be a bad idea to print a copy of the list and have it ready if there's a question as to hand inspection vs. X-rays -- I'd rate the probability of a screener even knowing what large format film is, at "low."

John Cook
10-Oct-2003, 12:19
I know they’re trying to protect me. But enough is enough. Flying naked without luggage, packed like sardines in those tiny seats is just more than I can bear.

So I have definitely given up on air travel for the duration. In lieu of a Florida vacation this winter I shall put another log on the fire, make a fresh mug of cocoa, slide down in the la-z-boy with a good book and scratch the dog like God intended.

Next summer, what I can’t reach in a brand-new rented Lincoln Town Car isn’t worth seeing (nor photographing).

Happy Holidays, y’all!

Sam Osborne
10-Oct-2003, 12:45
In retrospect it shouldn't have surprised me, but last week the folks at Cleveland Hopkins confiscated a $3.99 can of compressed air that I had in my bag. (Apparently it had not been considered so grave a threat by the screeners in Seattle on the flight out.) At least I can now add "dirty lens" to my list excuses for boring photographs.

Neal Shields
10-Oct-2003, 13:27
I had a Snap On 1/8th inch open and boxed end wrench on my key chain as a charm, to remind me of when making a living required getting dirty too. Yep they got it. It reminded me of the scene in Mean Streets where the police search the gangsters and find a 1" long pen knife.

Neal

Scott Bacon
13-Oct-2003, 07:41
I too, understand the underlying reasons for the new rules. But the implementation can often make you smile and shake your head.

I "donated" the 2.5" allen wrench, fitting my Kirk quick release plate, to TSA at Denver Int'l Airport. No big deal. The True Value Hardware in Ft. Myers, FL, my destination, was happy to replace it for 59 cents.