PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding some details on the C1

gth
24-Nov-2011, 22:21
I have some detailed questions about the Calumet C1 (Magnesium) AKA the green monster:

1. There is a piece of stainless steel sheet metal "washer" on the outside of the front rack (both sides) it has three holes in it. I thought it might be for reversing and permanently joining the front and rear rack, but the hole distances would not work for that..... What is this detail for?

2. The steel retaining pin that goes into the front standard (secured by stop screws) that lock the rear rack when folded up..... are the pins threaded into the magnesium chassie?

3. On top of and on both sides of the rear standard on the sides (vertically) there is a cast protrusion with a threaded hole in it. What is the purpose of this?

4. Anyone has a full C1 service manual and parts list, exploded view drawing etc?

Thanks!

/gth

gth
25-Nov-2011, 12:14
I am going to bump it to see if there is an ol' C1 user that might have an answer

el french
25-Nov-2011, 12:30
Can you post a picture of it?

Paul Fitzgerald
25-Nov-2011, 13:43
1) the tabs hold the rear extension up when folded.
2) I think they are pressed in.
3) that is where the GG frame screws into.
4) http://www.cameraeccentric.com/, just hunt around for Calumet 1965.

alex from holland
25-Nov-2011, 14:20
If you need some detailed pictures, just ask
I have a green monster myself

gth
25-Nov-2011, 15:01
Paul,

1. Ok, got it! One washer is broken one is bent a bit. But it fits. The folded position is a bit rickety right now since the stop screws for the steel pins are gone ( 1 MISSING 1 broken)

2. Yeah, look like it... *could* be threaded maybe

3. No, not the GG frame screws. These are vertical holes on the stationary standard, on the outside edge. I was thinking for some kind of wire frame to hold up the dark cloth maybe??

4. Ok.

Jon Shiu
25-Nov-2011, 15:13
go to cameraeccentric.com, information, 1965 Calumet catalog to see some details on the C1:

http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/calumet_1.html

Jon

gth
27-Nov-2011, 11:34
Ok, thanks everyone!

Continuing the interrogation:

1. Short of strip and repaint what's the best method of cleaning it up?
The magnesium surfaces are a bit "corroded" - or just have this whitish covering of the bare grey metal. Not really pitted - corrosion is maybe too strong a word.

Basically is seems to me friction surfaces needs polish and lubrication. Especially the focus rail. Advice?

2. Same for painted surfaces, at this point it's probably best to give a gentle cleaning with a general purpose spray cleaner and soft cloth?

3. The bellows have been black-gunk-painted in few places but is generally in good shape. Probably have some pinholes, haven't checked yet. Any advice?

The ol' lady is good to go, but I want to give her the respect she well deserves!

gth
27-Nov-2011, 21:02
Another newbie questions:

The tab in the bellows to hold up the bellows - straighten the "sag" :

Is it designed to hook onto the front standard, either directly or with a variable length chain?

That seems to work best.

With the tab hooked directly to the front standard you can extend the bellows at least to the maximum with the rail in the non-extended position. Quite a lot of force on the tab though.

How do YOU use it?

/gth

dsphotog
27-Nov-2011, 21:28
You are right about the holes on the top of the rear standard, they are for mounting a wire support for the darkcloth.

Curt
29-Nov-2011, 23:25
Ok, thanks everyone!

Continuing the interrogation:

1. Short of strip and repaint what's the best method of cleaning it up?
The magnesium surfaces are a bit "corroded" - or just have this whitish covering of the bare grey metal. Not really pitted - corrosion is maybe too strong a word.

Basically is seems to me friction surfaces needs polish and lubrication. Especially the focus rail. Advice?

2. Same for painted surfaces, at this point it's probably best to give a gentle cleaning with a general purpose spray cleaner and soft cloth?

3. The bellows have been black-gunk-painted in few places but is generally in good shape. Probably have some pinholes, haven't checked yet. Any advice?

The ol' lady is good to go, but I want to give her the respect she well deserves!

strip and repaint

I have one and it was a dirty green color, one way was to color match the paint in automotive paint and spray it on after it was cleaned up.

What I did was dissemble the camera completely and go through every part with a clean scrape buff polish and adjustment. I have a buffing wheel so I took every part and got right down to the metal. Then I primed and painted it BLACK instead of the green color. Why? I prefer black to the green on them.

The stainless steel was easy to get the sparkle back, the aluminum cleaned up very nicely too. It's an new old camera. The bellows was like it never saw the daylight, I mean really new. The tap on the bellows fits on the the pin in the front standard when the bellows is not fully extended. That prevents bellows sag. There are two holes for a wire frame that supports the dark cloth. The two stainless steel clips that have the holes are to keep the rear rail up when the camera is folded up.

Robert Opheim
30-Dec-2011, 22:48
A few years ago - when I purchased my Black Monster - I contacted Calumet parts and was able to purchase a couple of the missing screws etc for my camera.