PDA

View Full Version : What's this old lens?

Keytarjunkie
24-Nov-2011, 12:59
Hi! I'm a relative newbie, I shoot a bit of 4x5 but I use mostly modern equipment and have never dealt with wet plates etc. before although I would like to one day.

My dad got this lens from my uncle who purchased it at some estate sale years ago (or something like that...), it is labelled "A.J. Thompson & Co. Importers, Boston." Or maybe it's A.T.? Can't tell. It has a focus knob which works well, and the lens board is roughly 5.5" square. No aperture or shutter (I assume this is how old lenses work, you uncover them when you want to make the picture?). It has lots of dust inside but overall it's in good shape. The lens hood's rings appear to be 58mm as the hood fits on my mamiya 7 80mm lens. What is this lens? Is it worth hanging onto?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6396076815_dc66c067da_z.jpg

Steven Tribe
24-Nov-2011, 14:37
A.T. Thompson.
There is an earlier thread with questions answered on an almost identical magic lantern projection lens. Search using Thompson.

Jim Noel
25-Nov-2011, 09:32
It is a projection lens. It may produce very interesting images. Slow film and/or neutral density filters will enable you to use your hat, or lens cap, or dark slide as a shutter. With a little practice you can use a Galli shutter. Search for Jim GAlli here or on the web.

Keytarjunkie
26-Nov-2011, 19:14
Thanks guys! I found the old thread. Your help is much appreciated. I think I will see if I can trade it for something more useful on our FS forums; I just don't see myself having the time or money to shoot wet plates while I'm still in school.

Keytarjunkie
26-Nov-2011, 19:47
By the way, does anyone have any idea what something like this would be worth? The other thread pinpoints it all the way down to between $100 and $600 ;)

jackpie
26-Nov-2011, 20:35
Thanks guys! I found the old thread. Your help is much appreciated. I think I will see if I can trade it for something more useful on our FS forums; I just don't see myself having the time or money to shoot wet plates while I'm still in school.

You can use it with film too. Give it a go before you decide to sell. It may give you a look you like.

Keytarjunkie
26-Nov-2011, 22:02
You can use it with film too. Give it a go before you decide to sell. It may give you a look you like.

I would but the only large format camera I own is a 4x5 rangefinder I built, it does not take interchangeable lenses, much less a 5" plate ;) I would like to use it, but I don't know anyone who owns an 8x10.

Two23
26-Nov-2011, 22:35
My guess on worth is about <$300.

Kent in SD

Steven Tribe
27-Nov-2011, 03:03
Agree with the last posting. It needs to be bigger and/or faster to go above this maximum.
Looks to be in excellent condition.
The most succesful sales are those that can include examples of images made with the actual lens, rather than waffle about Petzval's design and out-of- focus effects!

leighmarrin
27-Nov-2011, 05:09
I would but the only large format camera I own is a 4x5 rangefinder I built, it does not take interchangeable lenses, much less a 5" plate ;) I would like to use it, but I don't know anyone who owns an 8x10.

Well... since you're already set up to do 4x5 anyway with your fixed-lens camera, you might want to consider a Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter. If you look around you can probably find a Pacemaker or an Anniversary Speed Graphic with a working FP shutter for $200 or thereabouts. You're lucky you already have the mounting flange, and you can easily find an affordable lensboard on eBay. (Or perhaps make one yourself.)

I'd suggest pointing the lens out the window and guestimating its focal length on a sheet of paper indoors. If a tree across the steet is in focus on a sheet of paper, and the distance between the paper and center of the lens is in the range of 4 to 7 inches, your lens might have some interesting effects on 4x5.

For some very varied examples of petzval lenses, many done with Speed Graphics, check out:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/868027@N25/