PDA

View Full Version : Light Box Recommendations?

PAllen
23-Nov-2011, 08:26
We have begun to experiment with Epsons DisplayTrans Backlight Media. The first roll we received had lots of pinholes in the coating when held up to a light source. After speaking with Epson they sent us a replacement roll and this one does not seem to have that problem, and actually the first couple test prints held up to a window look pretty decent. We would like to purchase a wall mounted lightbox to have a complete sample on hand. Does anybody know of a particularly well made lightbox they could recommend?

Best,
Patrick Allen
www.kenallenstudios.com
www.PatrickAllenPhotography.com

Bob Salomon
23-Nov-2011, 08:55
For how large a print?

Display light boxes as used at trade shows, airports, rail stations, etc. are very expensive. Photographic light boxes are much less expensive but the density of your print will have to be different then the one you make for a display box. Many photographic light boxes are wall mountable with holding clips for the film/paper.
Xray boxes might be also useable but they do not have as accurate a color output as the other boxes and their brightness is again different.

PAllen
23-Nov-2011, 09:09
Thanks for the reply Bob.

I suppose we are really looking for 2 solutions. One being the best of the best for a more fine art usage. Most even lighting, best color, modern classic profile.

The other being a more commercial type application, where absolute even lighting, color, etc doesn't have to be "perfect" but still decent.

Minimum/Average size is probably around 20x24" and largest would be up to around 40x60" or so. I would be curious about even larger then this though.

Best,
Patrick Allen
www.kenallenstudios.com

Bob Salomon
23-Nov-2011, 09:14
Thanks for the reply Bob.

I suppose we are really looking for 2 solutions. One being the best of the best for a more fine art usage. Most even lighting, best color, modern classic profile.

The other being a more commercial type application, where absolute even lighting, color, etc doesn't have to be "perfect" but still decent.

Minimum/Average size is probably around 20x24" and largest would be up to around 40x60" or so. I would be curious about even larger then this though.

Best,
Patrick Allen
www.kenallenstudios.com

Go to a good graphics house and they can show you what is available.

Starting at 20 x 24 you will eliminate almost all photo and Xray boxes.
You can also see boxes and get prices from any company that designs and sells trade show booths.