PDA

View Full Version : Foam or felt base for contact proofing

Harlan Chapman
23-Nov-2011, 08:07
Suggestions for vendors and specific materials to put under a sheet of glass to use for contact proofing would be welcome.

BrianShaw
23-Nov-2011, 08:28
Visit your local craft shop. Ask about "Foamie" sheet material. Most often what is stocked is the 2mm thick material. Comes in both plain and self-adhesive backing.

If you want to go the felt route, they'll have exactly what you need also.

Joanne or Michael's are two craft stores that seem to be everywhere in the US.

Daniel Stone
23-Nov-2011, 08:56
When I made my contact frames, I purchased(at Joann's) the felt-backed foam, about 1/4" thick stuff. Luckily the material they had was a dark maroon, so it doesn't kick back any/much light if any passes through the neg + paper. I then used gorilla glue put down in a random pattern on the folding back, and adhered the material(foam side to the wood, so felt-->paper) down to it. 3yrs later and its still working like a charm!

If you sign up for Joann's newsletters(or get them by mail anyhow), they have "50% off one cut" coupons occasionally, and I stock up on materials for photo projects then. If you print out the coupon multiple times, and thusly make separate transactions, you can stock up quite quickly :).

-Dan

BrianShaw
23-Nov-2011, 09:07
You used Gorilla Glue... yikes! That stuff swells upon setting and sticks like gorilla snot. I used regular white Elmers (tm) glue once and contact adhesive another time. Both stick good and minimize the chance of ripples/bumps. But my experience may be more sensitive to ripples/bumps because I've always used thinner material than 1/4 inch.

Daniel Stone
23-Nov-2011, 09:16
ya, the extra "cushion" helped that out...

Thankfully no ripples I can see in my prints, well, except for the occasional newton rings(but that's a whole other matter ;))

-Dan

Harlan Chapman
26-Nov-2011, 07:25
Thank you all very much for your helpful replies.
-Harlan

banjo
26-Nov-2011, 15:23
in the High dry Desert like I live in the foam Don't last but about 5 years
I use my drymount press & tissue with Black Velvet