PDA

View Full Version : Material for large bellows

martin.magid
21-Nov-2011, 11:04
I have a very old Anthony Climax studio view camera, and the original bellows is worn out and cannot be repaired. I want to replace it with a bellows for display only, and I thought I would use stiff black paper, or light cardboard that can be folded. The bellows is about 12 in. fully drawn out, and 10 in. square, so that requires a sheet of paper or cardboard about 50 in long X about 20 in. I haven't been able to find a source, and any suggestions would be welcome.

IanG
21-Nov-2011, 14:39
You need to do it properly, it's just as easy, you need fabric inner and outer with card stiffening ribs in between. It's a historic camera - don't fudge it.

Ian

Jim Galli
21-Nov-2011, 15:49
I concur. It's enough trouble to cut all those stiffeners that you may as well do it right. A black canvas duck makes a nice looking outer with something light proof in the inner side.

martin.magid
21-Nov-2011, 18:23
Although others may want to do it differently, and in other circumstances I might do it differently, all I want for now is a source for the stiff black material. This camera was given to me as a pile of c**p, couldn't even recognize it as a camera. I repaired and restored the wood and brass, which look beautiful, and it has the original GG, but I don't have the time (nor maybe the talent) to fully restore or replace the bellows to its original condition. If someone wants to take it off my hands and finish the job "properly," they would get a great deal from me. I don't even have the space to display it properly.

Paul Fitzgerald
21-Nov-2011, 19:37
"all I want for now is a source for the stiff black material."

the Dollar Tree and others carry poster board in black, should work well for this

"If someone wants to take it off my hands and finish the job "properly," they would get a great deal from me."

What size film holders does it take or is it wet plate?

martin.magid
21-Nov-2011, 20:40
I believe it took a Benster holder, which may have been wet plate. I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving and may not be able to respond for a few days.