PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite mid December?

Tim k
20-Nov-2011, 15:56
I was at Yosemite about 40 years ago before my brain cells understood what to pay attention to. So I actually don't remember a thing.

What should I expect as to road conditions from the west? Is it going to be a safe bet getting in or is it subject to closure during any little snow storm?

Also, is it going to be packed like in the summer? Or just a handful of old guys with really big cameras?

Thanks guys

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 16:17
Tim, plan on changing weather. You should get storms rolling in. Carry chains as you may need them. The valley is at 4,400 feet and if you get snow it may last for a while or not. The valley is ever changing. December is a great month to go. I may be there again in December.A lot less crowded and one of my favorite months to go. Everyone is thinking about the holidays and hence that park is less crowded. Unless that is people are spending Christmas in the park. Bottom line come prepared for any type of weather.

Tim k
20-Nov-2011, 16:21
Thanks Jim,
Not sure of my dates but perhaps we'll see you there. I wouldn't think you would be hard to spot, with all that shiny walnut hardware.

John Kasaian
20-Nov-2011, 16:33
They'll ask at the gate if you have chains and will turn you back if you don't. 41 from Fresno can get very slick (and oh don't I know! I once got cited for off roading in a National park after flipping @ss over teakettle 70' down an embankment in a K5 GMC!)
Make your room/cabin reservations early, keep your eyes on the weather forecasts, carry chains and be safe. Tent camping in the Valley in Winter can get miserable. It seems like all the cold sinks from the higher elevations and fills 'er up. The weather may also be warm and snowless down in the Valley. You never know.

Tim k
20-Nov-2011, 17:12
Thanks John,
I cant believe they gave you a ticket for that. If you were upside down, I'd think that would be sledding , rather than off roading.
I'm sorry to say that I have purchased a set of chains for the second leg of the trip, but I sure dont have any desire to take them out of the box.
Any words of wisdom as to where to stay in the park? Going to have the wife along, and she's not too fond of lil creepy crawlers.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 17:35
Tim, Yosemite Lodge is your best bet. It is not cheap and may be hard to get a room now. Try the heated tent cabins at curry Village. Camping but not too bad in the winter... with enough alcohol that is. Come in on 140 out of Merced and if it is clear you will have no problem. Just be ready for any conditions. There are a couple of motels just out side the park in El Portal and I forget the names but they are not very cheap either. Me... I stay in Camp 4 in the winter time. No one there and you stay in the Yosemite Lodge until time to go to bed!

Jeffrey Sipress
20-Nov-2011, 17:41
If you are able too, watch the weather and get there during a storm. As the storm clears, the photo ops are everywhere. And they can last for days. Bring chains. Bring very warm clothing, you're from AZ! There's always plenty of people, but not like in summer. Find your own places. You will be in heaven.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 17:46
Jeffery is right. Hope you get a storm. I was up there Veterans day weekend and WOW! Fog in the valley, clearing clouds, etc. etc. etc. Some of my best negatives to date.

ROL
20-Nov-2011, 18:03
What should I expect as to road conditions from the west? Is it going to be a safe bet getting in or is it subject to closure during any little snow storm?

Rarely is the Valley closed by snow, but downed trees and landslides can be another matter, particularly after wet, heavy snows. 140 is the surest bet, with 41 almost equally as passable. It can snow in the Valley (4000') with the general snow level as high as 5000', due to trapped pooling cold air.

Also, is it going to be packed like in the summer?

Not a chance, blessedly quiet in the mornings, and after snows can actually feel deserted. My favorite time (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/Yosemite-Winter/).

Or just a handful of old guys with really big cameras?

Precisely. And if they are standing with tripod in the middle of the narrow, snow burmed roads, you get to legally run them over for being so f-----g dumb and inconsiderate. :eek: (caveat – I only play a lawyer on TV)

It is actually required that vehicles (even 4WD) carry tire chains on California mountain roads in the winter. It is not required that drivers have the good sense to use them or the skills to drive icy roads. If you slide into a burm and block the road or hit me going the opposite direction, you deserve the biggest fine assessable.

Tim k
20-Nov-2011, 18:07
Tim, Yosemite Lodge is your best bet. It is not cheap and may be hard to get a room now. Try the heated tent cabins at curry Village. Camping but not too bad in the winter... with enough alcohol that is. Come in on 140 out of Merced and if it is clear you will have no problem. Just be ready for any conditions. There are a couple of motels just out side the park in El Portal and I forget the names but they are not very cheap either. Me... I stay in Camp 4 in the winter time. No one there and you stay in the Yosemite Lodge until time to go to bed!

I dont think there is enough alcohol in California to get my wife to agree to a tent. We do prefer to stay in the park, so will check out the lodge.

Tim k
20-Nov-2011, 18:14
Not a chance, blessedly quiet in the mornings, and after snows can actually feel deserted. My favorite time (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/Yosemite-Winter/).

Absolutely beautiful.

dsphotog
20-Nov-2011, 19:40
...Or you can splurge on lodging at the Ahwahnee Hotel!

Jim Graves
20-Nov-2011, 21:34
The lodging outside of the Park doesn't work well in winter. It's quite a drive in ... if you have a storm you may not get in.

If your wife isn't a camper, the only real option is the Yosemite Lodge ... the Ahwahnee is exorbitantly expensive and the Wawona ... while beautiful ... is way outside of the valley where all the iconic sights are ... many within walking distance from the Lodge. The Lodge has dining across the street and the village ... via a free shuttle bus (which covers most of the valley) ... is only about 3/4 of a mile away ... very convenient.

Chris Wong
20-Nov-2011, 21:49
I dont think there is enough alcohol in California to get my wife to agree to a tent.

There are wood cabins in Curry Village, some with their own showers that are not as bad as staying in a canvas tent.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 21:55
Chris, good point. I forgot about that. There is also the Stoneman House in Curry. I stayed there in march after the big storm that knocked out power and dumped 6 feet of snow in the valley. Now that was a fun trip. Yes i did need chains that time!

Robert Oliver
20-Nov-2011, 22:15
The tent cabins are pretty comfortable in the winter, if you get the heated ones. I just felt guilty about all of the energy it takes to keep those things as warm as my wife kept it....

Kerik Kouklis
20-Nov-2011, 22:20
The Stoneman House and the Curry cabins are probably the best compromise between comfort and price in the winter time. Definitely the best time to be in the Valley IMO. Don't forget to visit the Ansel Adams Gallery. :-)

John Kasaian
20-Nov-2011, 22:26
I'd look into a room at the Yosemite Lodge or Curry (preferrably the cabins in Curry, but the heated tents I've heard work OK. Of course if you have plenty of moo-lah, the Ahwannee could be a real treat, but aye carumba!.

Alan Curtis
21-Nov-2011, 06:20
Jeffery is right. Hope you get a storm. I was up there Veterans day weekend and WOW! Fog in the valley, clearing clouds, etc. etc. etc. Some of my best negatives to date.

I just missed it Jim, I was in the valley for the five days before that weekend. Most of the time not a cloud in the sky, some snow but, still very nice and not too crowded.

Tim k
21-Nov-2011, 06:52
The lodging outside of the Park doesn't work well in winter. It's quite a drive in ... if you have a storm you may not get in.

If your wife isn't a camper, the only real option is the Yosemite Lodge ... the Ahwahnee is exorbitantly expensive and the Wawona ... while beautiful ... is way outside of the valley where all the iconic sights are ... many within walking distance from the Lodge. The Lodge has dining across the street and the village ... via a free shuttle bus (which covers most of the valley) ... is only about 3/4 of a mile away ... very convenient.

From what everybody is saying it sounds like the lodge is going to be our best bet.

Tim k
21-Nov-2011, 06:52
The Stoneman House and the Curry cabins are probably the best compromise between comfort and price in the winter time. Definitely the best time to be in the Valley IMO. Don't forget to visit the Ansel Adams Gallery. :-)

I had forgotten about gallery, thanks.

Tim k
21-Nov-2011, 06:53
...Or you can splurge on lodging at the Ahwahnee Hotel!

I think were splurging at the lodge :D

John Kasaian
21-Nov-2011, 08:56
If you want to shoot into the valley from above, you can xc ski to Glacier Point from Badger Pass and overnight at the gift shop/snack bar(which is converted into dorms in the winter)

Tim k
21-Nov-2011, 09:18
If you want to shoot into the valley from above, you can xc ski to Glacier Point from Badger Pass and overnight at the gift shop/snack bar(which is converted into dorms in the winter)

John,
I subscribe to the quote about nothing photogenic more than "X" yards from the car. "X" is a variable getting shorter, directly related to the year on the calendar.
So, dont think there is a xc ski trip in my future. But thanks for the tip. Now I'll know what made those tracks. :D