PDA

View Full Version : Bellows come off

James_Spain
20-Nov-2011, 06:14
I bought an olden wood style camera on this forum and it was fixed for me.

The bellows has crack and it was fixed too but 1 year more the crack has come back.

After the crack is fixed, what glue is needed to seal the bellows onto camera rear?

deadpan
20-Nov-2011, 06:47
I've used 'contact cement' to successfully attach bellows to a (metal) bellows frame. not sure wood would need any different...

James_Spain
20-Nov-2011, 22:49
Thanks Pan. Is superglue bad?

I will tty and find cement glue then.

Leigh
21-Nov-2011, 00:51
Superglue won't work on porous surfaces (wood).
It's designed to attach smooth non-porous surfaces (like glass or plastic) that have a very small gap between them.

- Leigh

Steve Smith
21-Nov-2011, 01:01

Yes it will. Many guitar repairers use superglue for non-structural repairs of instruments.

Steve.

Leigh
21-Nov-2011, 01:07
Steve,

There are hundreds of different "superglues", many designed for specific applications.

My comment was addressed to a person who was not a professional restorer and likely did not have access to the wide variety actually being manufactured, but limited to those available at the local DIY or office supply store.

Answers need to be tailored to the audience.

- Leigh

Steve Smith
21-Nov-2011, 03:12
There are hundreds of different "superglues", many designed for specific applications.

This is true.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Stewart-MacDonald_Super_Glues/Super_Glue.html

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/promo/ts0030_superglue

Steve.

Leigh
21-Nov-2011, 03:15
This is true.
So is this:

- Leigh

Ari
21-Nov-2011, 07:48
If you can find Pliobond, it will do an amazing job.
Put some of it on both surfaces, wait for it to get tacky, and then apply some pressure.
It will never come apart after that.

James_Spain
21-Nov-2011, 07:57
Steve,

My comment was addressed to a person who was not a professional restorer and likely did not have access to the wide variety actually being manufactured, but limited to those available at the local DIY or office supply store.

- Leigh

Thanks Leigh. I ask the shop and they say the same. There are over 10 glue bottles to choose!

I bought one with aradlyte. The hardware shop also says superglue will be porous.

Fingers crossed that I don't get stuck!

tim o'brien
21-Nov-2011, 10:35
Steve,

- Leigh

Answers need to be not vague representations of misinformation. Super glue is a generic name and just as many work on porous materials as don't. Frankly, your answer lacks validity. No matter who the audience. Who, you will note, was not identified until you got defensive.

Cryocyanate glues are used in all parts of my woodworking shop. They are super glues and found in any hardware store.

tim in san jose

Leigh
21-Nov-2011, 11:34
If you can find Pliobond, it will do an amazing job.
Put some of it on both surfaces, wait for it to get tacky, and then apply some pressure.
It will never come apart after that.
Pliobond is the standard adhesive used in the camera repair industry for attaching leatherette to camera bodies.

It's used for that purpose specifically because it can be separated if the camera needs to be repaired later.

- Leigh

Roger Thoms
21-Nov-2011, 12:13
It's designed to attach smooth non-porous surfaces (like glass or plastic) that have a very small gap between them.

- Leigh

I would not try and use super glue to install bellows, but I do use it for wood. The key for wood is to choose the right product. Super glues are available in different viscosities depending on the porosity of the material and the gap filling ability needed. As a trim carpenter my bottle of super glue is one of the more important tools in my tool set. I used some earlier today for a small piece of molding that would of been difficult to nail.

Isn't Pliobond Recommended for installing bellow?

Roger

Leigh
21-Nov-2011, 13:03
Isn't Pliobond Recommended for installing bellow?
I would certainly recommend it for that purpose, provided the joint is not subject to pull stress.

If the joint must be strong enough to resist separation under pull stress, I would recommend contact cement.

- Leigh