PDA

View Full Version : The New Pictorialism

papah
20-Nov-2011, 05:31
I've started a new blog about old lenses and new pixels:

The New Pictorialism (http://thenewpictorialism.blogspot.com/)

I hope you'll give it a read!

Thanks.

CCHarrison
20-Nov-2011, 05:59
Very nice start, Bruce ! Killer image on the top of the home page.. !

I will highlight your site on my blog in the coming days.

Best,
Dan

papah
20-Nov-2011, 06:14

Best,
Dan

Thank you, Dan. I'll try not to steal too much from your wonderful site!:rolleyes:

Emil Schildt
20-Nov-2011, 06:20
aah - I just finished a short course with mostly digital photographers.... I explained the possibillities of combining the use of old lenses with digital cameras, but this page would have been so more illustrative (pun intented)..

I'll make sure to use it next time. Good work Bruce (even though I'll never use that combo my self..)

I love the idea of having a wedding between the old and the new worlds - not the usual war ...

William Whitaker
20-Nov-2011, 07:20
Interesting, Bruce. I look forward to reading more.
So does this make you a Digitorialist or a Pixtorialist?

jayabbas
20-Nov-2011, 08:02
QC department -- Approved! Content and scope -- great. Nice blog -- will follow for future knowledge.

Mark Woods
20-Nov-2011, 12:04
Sweet!!

Mark Sawyer
20-Nov-2011, 13:39
Most excellent! And I agree with Dan; the image Descending... at the blog's title page shows the atmospherics of the old lenses in a timeless and wonderful way..

dsphotog
20-Nov-2011, 14:06
Yes! I did the same thing to mount a Verito lens to a Pentax 67.

Two23
20-Nov-2011, 14:49
I have a Nikon D300 and have been considering doing something like this with an old Nikon macro bellows. Think it would work?

Kent in SD

papah
20-Nov-2011, 15:28
Thanks, Mark. That lens is my Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality M.P. lens. It really is a wonder!

Most excellent! And I agree with Dan; the image Descending... at the blog's title page shows the atmospherics of the old lenses in a timeless and wonderful way..

papah
20-Nov-2011, 15:35
Hi Kent,

It will work well with the sliding back, but I find that the full-frame sensor size is better for the bellows-style mounting without a sliding back, because it covers more area.

The APS size is actually better for the Camerafusion back, because the mirror box doesn't throw shadows like the full-frame D3 sometimes does at the edge of the 4x5 image area. I use the D3 in the DX crop mode often on the Camerafusion back, which avoids the shadow problem.

I have a Nikon D300 and have been considering doing something like this with an old Nikon macro bellows. Think it would work?

Kent in SD

D. Bryant
20-Nov-2011, 17:50

Best,
Dan

Very cool Bruce.

Jim Galli
20-Nov-2011, 23:38
Nice to see this. A great start Bruce. Thanks.

Harley Goldman
21-Nov-2011, 16:00
That first image, Descending, is outstanding!!!!!!!!!

Donald Miller
21-Nov-2011, 17:49
Wonderful Bruce

papah
22-Nov-2011, 20:32
Thank you all, very much. Much more to come!

Ken Lee
15-Dec-2011, 05:21
This thread appears in several different forums here. This one is closed.