PDA

View Full Version : Toyo-View 45CX 4x5 View Camera

fernando1212
19-Nov-2011, 19:24
Hello Everybody

I'm about to purchase my first 4x5 view camera for studio work, its a Toyo 45 CX, I'm looking for suggestions on lenses, accessories I may need to get with the camera and perhaps any other options. My work right now is 100% digital, I do product photography for magazines, internet and advertising material. thank in advance

FL

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2011, 20:48
Do you plan on using a digital back or film with that camera?

If film, you will need a film scanner to scan your images into the digital realm.

The Toyo CX is an entry level plastic camera. Not the best choice to hold a large, heavy weight digital back.

If you are going to use film, make certain that you have a reliable photo. lab. to process it for you.

tgtaylor
19-Nov-2011, 21:30
Fernando,

If you will be doing studio work with the camera, then you may want to consider the Toyo/Omega 45C which has more extensive movements with the focus, rise, and shift movements being geared on both standards. Having geared movements as opposed to manual movements are important if you will be using a digital back (no creep). The 45C was recently discontinued but they may be found at bargain prices - about the same as the CX. Here's a link to the 45C's manual which also contains suggestions for focal lengths with respect to application:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/toyo_view_45c.pdf

I recommend using two tripod plates - especially for studio work.

Thomas

jnantz
19-Nov-2011, 21:49
hi fernando

i have and use a toyo cx but not for studio type work ( mostly architectural / site photography ). while it is carbon fiber
it is sturdy, and when everything is locked down it is rigid.
the only drawbacks to the cx that i have found ( i've had mine for almost 10 years )
while it is a toyo and modular ( sort of ) like most of the other toyo view cameras,
you can't get a longer rail or bellows, so if you want to shoot a long lens you might not
even be able to focus at infinity. ( i have a 210/370 symmar and it won't focus at 370 ).
the other problem is that if you are too forceful in tightening your focus &c
you might crack the carbon fiber focus blocks &c.

so, if you plan on using longish lenses, or don't know your own strength, you might consider a different camera.
other toyos ( not the tech field cameras ) allow you to change rails, and use long bellows,
and allow you to swap parts / accessories with other cameras in the toyo family.

good luck !
john

B.S.Kumar
19-Nov-2011, 22:23
A used Toyo G would be better and probably cost the same.

Kumar

Gem Singer
20-Nov-2011, 07:41
The Toyo CX is a nice 4x5 camera for the price.

However, in this case, it is the wrong tool for the job.

Previously owned metal 4x5 monorails are selling for a song these days.

The OP can probably find a 4x5 Sinar, Cambo, or Horseman monorail for approx. the same price as a new Toyo 45CX.

fernando1212
20-Nov-2011, 08:51
Thank you all of you for the suggestions and comments

Answers:

Gem Singer: I'm planing to use it with film, I do own a Epson V700 scanner which I use it for scanning my 35mm negatives, I think it will work with the 4x5 negatives as well.
Do you also recommend a Lab here in the US?
Any suggestions on where to find other 4x5 used like the Cambo, sinar or horseman

TG Taylor: any ideia where I can find a 45C, right now I do have a brand new 45CX for $500. thanks

tgtaylor
20-Nov-2011, 09:05
Used Toyo/Omega 45C's as well as other Toyo models regularly pop up on the usual sites. But if you already have the CX I'd use and equipt that before purchasing another camera. The nice thing about sticking with Toyo is that most of the parts are interchangeable. For example my AX and CF weren't equipped with a revolving back but the C and Robos were so I just swap backs if I will need a revolving back on the field camera (It's about a half pound heavier); all of the lensboards/adaptors are interchangeable, etc.

Thomas

fernando1212
20-Nov-2011, 09:20
A used Toyo G would be better and probably cost the same.

Kumar

Hello Kumar
thank for the suggestions. Now I do also have a 45G available to me for much less than the CX, you have a G can you tell me the main advantages and why you preffer the G versus CX?
thanks again
Fernando

B.S.Kumar
20-Nov-2011, 09:58
Hi Fernando,

The G has geared rise/fall and shift, extremely useful for studio work.
The lensboards are larger, in case you want to use larger lenses.
The standards are beefier, and front and rear standards are identical, so you can "reverse" them.

The WA bellows are specific to the CX, and more difficult to find.
It has a fixed monorail, so using WA or long lenses is a bit difficult.

But if you got it for a good price, don't worry too much. If you wait for 30 days, you'll have access to the Buy/Sell forum, and you can pick up a G if you want.

Best,
Kumar

fernando1212
20-Nov-2011, 10:06
Hi Fernando,

The G has geared rise/fall and shift, extremely useful for studio work.
The lensboards are larger, in case you want to use larger lenses.
The standards are beefier, and front and rear standards are identical, so you can "reverse" them.

The WA bellows are specific to the CX, and more difficult to find.
It has a fixed monorail, so using WA or long lenses is a bit difficult.

But if you got it for a good price, don't worry too much. If you wait for 30 days, you'll have access to the Buy/Sell forum, and you can pick up a G if you want.

Best,
Kumar

Thank Kumar, really appreciated

Gem Singer
20-Nov-2011, 10:15
Fernando,

The best places to look for a previously owned Toyo G, Cambo, Sinar, Horseman, etc., metal 4x5 monorail:

The classified section of this forum.
Midwest Photo Exchange.
Badgergraphics.
KEH Camera.

The worst place: eBay.

As for film processing: Color or B&W? Do a Google search for a photo lab. in your area that is capable of handling 4x5 film.

Check out Praus Productions in Rochester, NY

Ari
20-Nov-2011, 10:16
I second the G.
The standards are indeed reversible, but there is a slight difference in their design; one is clearly a front standard, the other is clearly a rear standard.
The accessories for the G are endless and pretty cheap, and it is a very modular, uber-solid camera.
I had the 45G and the 810G, and, except for the weight, I kind of miss them.

fernando1212
20-Nov-2011, 14:11
does anybody here ever heard about this company http://www.eplevine.com ?
they do have pretty good prices

Gem Singer
20-Nov-2011, 14:18
Levine does not have a large inventory of previously owned LF gear.

His prices are on the high side.

See: www.keh.com

KEH has a huge inventory of LF gear. Check out their used 4x5 monorail cameras.

fernando1212
20-Nov-2011, 15:46
Levine does not have a large inventory of previously owned LF gear.

His prices are on the high side.

See: www.keh.com

KEH has a huge inventory of LF gear. Check out their used 4x5 monorail cameras.

Thanks Gem
KEH is selling a "4X5 TOYO VIEW GII (250MM RAIL) WITHOUT RAIL CAPS LARGE FORMAT VIEW CAMERA BODY" for $399, what do you think about that?