PDA

View Full Version : 58mm/5.6 Super Angulon versions?

chassis
19-Nov-2011, 14:55
Hello all,

I did some searching, and looked on Schneider's website, but wanted to confirm what I found (did not find).

How many versions of the 58mm f/5.6 Super Angulon were made? I can only find one, which is the XL version with a 166mm image circle. Is this the only 58mm f/5.6 lens for 4x5 that Schneider made?

Also, when did this lens start production? Thanks.

neil poulsen
20-Nov-2011, 00:16
That's all of which I'm aware. (Not that I'm all that knowledgeable.) That said, not all of their models are listed in their vintage lens data. I recently saw an up-close photograph of a 53mm Super Angulon that's not listed.

There's a version of a Rodenstock 58mm Grandagon that was made some years ago. But, I believe it's prone to separation.

John Schneider
20-Nov-2011, 01:34
...not all of their models are listed in their vintage lens data. I recently saw an up-close photograph of a 53mm Super Angulon that's not listed.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/4-53mm.html

and

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/fachoptik_f.pdf

AKAIK there was only one 58XL version, unlike the 90XL, and also unlike the non-XL Super Angulons, which were made in 2 or 3 different versions.

chassis
20-Nov-2011, 08:21
Thanks gentlemen for your input.

Dan Fromm
20-Nov-2011, 08:24
That's all of which I'm aware. (Not that I'm all that knowledgeable.) That said, not all of their models are listed in their vintage lens data. I recently saw an up-close photograph of a 53mm Super Angulon that's not listed.
That one's for 6x9, Neil, not 4x5.

Phil Hudson
21-Nov-2011, 06:20
There are some very minor cosmetic variations between the earlier and later 58XL's.

The lettering style changed (like it did on across the whole taking lens like such as the Apo-Symmars) and the "110 degree" designation was written differently.

Earlier lenses appear to have an engraved serial number in a different font and size and location compared to later examples. The depth of the rim (where the writing is) has also changed slightly - it is wider on later lenses.

I don't know whether there was any optical tweaking at all during these changes; more likely they are purely cosmetic, perhaps owing to the use of newer machinery?

chassis
21-Nov-2011, 18:04
Thanks for your comments, Phil.