PDA

View Full Version : Need some expert advice on using E100g and Fuji instant FP-100c45

meirronaldi
19-Nov-2011, 13:48
I am getting ready to start shooting a large architecture project with the 4x5 camera. It will be both interiors and exterior shots. I will only have one chance to get into most of the interior rooms before the hospital is open and off limits. It has been a while since I have shot architecture with the large format camera. I learned my work process many years ago from an architectural photographer who would set up the scene, meter it, and then shoot test shots with Polaroids to look for composition, lighting etc. The e100g and Fuji instant are both new films to me. As the price for the instant film is really expensive I will not be able to shoot as many test shots as we used to but will still be shooting one or two. I will be bracketing my shots but have little room for error so it is important that we get good images. The location is far away and as I said before I get one shot to get the photos. We hope to get around 30-40 images in total so I will likely be shooting 120 plus sheets of film. My question is can anyone tell me how close the performance of the E100g and FP-100c45 are to each other? If I meter for highlights and add supplimental light to keep shadow definition will the test exposre of FP100c look reasonably close to the final E100g at the same exposure? The 4x5 versions of the instant film are $$$$$ but the smaller size is much more reasonable so I could use those for checking to make sure that lighting and exposure are correct before shooting the e100g. Thanks

vinny
19-Nov-2011, 14:08
fp100c has horrible reciprocity compared to e100g. You'll likely need to shoot at a very large aperture to keep test exposures under a few seconds (if it's the typical hospital with overhead fluorescent lighting). That said, the two ought to be close enough in tonal range to give you an idea of exposure. I shoot provia, velvia, and various others and the instant matches pretty close with provia.

sully75
19-Nov-2011, 15:47
Could you use a cheap digital camera (an old Digital Rebel XT maybe) to do your proofing with?

I think regardless of what you use, you are going to want to invest money into testing your stuff before you rely on it.

John NYC
19-Nov-2011, 16:48
It has been a while since I have shot architecture with the large format camera. I learned my work process many years ago from an architectural photographer who would set up the scene, meter it, and then shoot test shots with Polaroids to look for composition, lighting etc. The e100g and Fuji instant are both new films to me.

I don't think that since you don't already know how these two films relate to each other that it will be any help to test with the Fuji. I would use a digital camera to scout and test. And I would use a light meter to meter my large format exposure and not rely on the test shots except for a sanity check.

John NYC
19-Nov-2011, 16:59
I don't think that since you don't already know how these two films relate to each other that it will be any help to test with the Fuji. I would use a digital camera to scout and test. And I would use a light meter to meter my large format exposure and not rely on the test shots except for a sanity check.

My better suggestion though would be to buy a used Canon 5D and a 24mm T/S lens and a 1.4x tele extender... Unless you are going to print very large.

Gene McCluney
24-Nov-2011, 07:44
I use the Fuji FP100C45 to test in my studio for shots I create on 4x5 transparency film. I have used E100G but I prefer Provia now. I find it gives a fairly good indication of what I can get on transparency...but I use strobe. The old Polaroid materials used to have reciprocity issues too!!....

I actually don't understand your concern for the cost of testing. Don't you pass on the materials cost to your client, separately from your labor quote?

So far I have not found it satisfactory to use a digital camera to test for film.