PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Commercial 8x10 for $250?

Vascilli
17-Nov-2011, 19:14
Yes, no? :confused: No lens, but the bellows are good and the ground glass too. I've got a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 480mm f/9 on a Toyo board I can probably remount (What sort of boards does this take) and it comes with a holder. Nice price?

Jim Galli
17-Nov-2011, 21:54
Hard to say without a little more information. Is it the 1928 flagship eastman commercial View (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/eastcomm.htm)? Or is it the aluminum basically a Kodak 2D but made out of metal, and also called Eastman Commercial? If the bellows are good and it has an 8X10 back on it, easily worth $250, you should grab it.

Vascilli
17-Nov-2011, 22:47
It's the big ol' magnesium version.

I'm a bit worried about shooting on it and not screwing up. (It's costly, after all) I hardly shoot my Toyo 45G, in fact it's never left my house. However I'm in a different province for university so I'm currently LF-less. This is tempting. Very, very tempting.

Jim Galli
17-Nov-2011, 22:54

I'm a bit worried about shooting on it and not screwing up. (It's costly, after all) I hardly shoot my Toyo 45G, in fact it's never left my house. However I'm in a different province for university so I'm currently LF-less. This is tempting. Very, very tempting.

Sounds like the worst you could do is re-sell it here when you're done with it for a profit. Do some searches here about shooting Xray film. One way to beat the high cost of film and have some fun. It's fairly slow film which also works well with a 48cm barrel lens. Slow is good. Stop it down and use a black hat. :cool: Or better yet, the infamous Galli shutter (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/22200-jim-galli-shutter-barrel-lenses-drum-roll-please.html).

Vascilli
17-Nov-2011, 23:03
Ah yes, I forgot about x-ray film. It's especially easy for me as my mom's a dentist, so I presume I could just have her develop it.

Oh, there's also 4 boxes of Fuji 160 NPL and 2 boxes of 160 NPS (One with six sheets) for $150 available from a different seller. Also a good price? My 480mm came in a Copal 3 so thankfully I can use high speed film.

Maynaard
18-Nov-2011, 01:11
PM sent

E. von Hoegh
18-Nov-2011, 08:32

Don't be afraid of the 8x10. Just take your time, the most difficult part , probably, is loading the film. Practice this with a scrap negative / sheet of film.

The worst that can happen is that you'll end up reselling it - posibly at a profit.:) :)

John Kasaian
19-Nov-2011, 12:03
Go for it! AA had one. Does it come with any holders?

Vascilli
19-Nov-2011, 15:11
One. I think I will, it seems based on a quick Google that lensboards are fairly simple. (Maybe I'll just tape my 480 on and not bother removing it from the Toyo board)

Jon Shiu
19-Nov-2011, 15:29
I believe it uses a 6x6 metal board that is interchangeable with the wooden Kodak 2D lens boards.

Jon

eddie
19-Nov-2011, 15:55
Galli shutter (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/22200-jim-galli-shutter-barrel-lenses-drum-roll-please.html)[/I][/B].

EXCUSE ME!

THIS is what you need to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLG3HCDlhk

eddie

Jim Galli
19-Nov-2011, 18:03
EXCUSE ME!

THIS is what you need to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLG3HCDlhk

eddie

Hey, Eddie. FWIW, a bunch of Sally Mann stuff came up to view next after our shutter piece. That's got to be kind of good, eh? At least Google's got me and Sally Mann in the same wavelength. 'course I'll never photograph naked 10 year olds, so only one of us will ever be famous.

William Whitaker
19-Nov-2011, 18:45
Hey, Eddie. FWIW, a bunch of Sally Mann stuff came up to view next after our shutter piece. That's got to be kind of good, eh? At least Google's got me and Sally Mann in the same wavelength. 'course I'll never photograph naked 10 year olds, so only one of us will ever be famous.

Damn right, Jim. Women and naked 10-year-olds are OK. Men and naked 10-year-olds, not so much. You don't want that kind of fame!

Vascilli
18-Jan-2012, 21:33
Ah, so I finally got it. (And paid slightly less, in fact) As for condition.. pretty much everything works. The geared focusing isn't the smoothest in the world (My other camera's a Toyo 45G) but it works. One of the screws on the rear standard is missing, but it doesn't seem to be a special kind so that can be fixed eventually. The rail extension and tripod mount both work fine, too. The bellows are a touch stiff and show a few repair marks but the seller said they were light tight and my brief test shows the same. The ground glass is very slightly chipped on some of the edges but not far enough to show up during composition, and two of the clips holding it in are missing. That aside, the film holder is a bit ratty, it's a wooden one by Folmer Graflex Corp. Dusty and some paint wear, but solid.

All in all I'm pretty happy. Now I just need to get a lens (My Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 480mm? It's a few provinces away and on a Toyo board) and some film and I'm in business.

Will Frostmill
19-Jan-2012, 08:59
How on earth did you find a bargain like that? Inquiring minds want to know!

Will

Jay DeFehr
19-Jan-2012, 10:20

Really....really....tacky. As if the only thing between you and Sally Mann-level recognition is your moral superiority. Ach.

Vascilli
19-Jan-2012, 21:50
How on earth did you find a bargain like that? Inquiring minds want to know!

Will

Craigslist. :D It had actually been listed several times since late November.

I wish I had bought it then, (And had a lens and film) my grandfather died early this month and I was thinking about doing a LF portrait of him and my grandmother. Now my plan is to source a wide angle and get some interior shots of their house before it's cleared out of their stuff. (Grandma's moving to some old age condo thingy.)

Jim Galli
19-Jan-2012, 22:44
How 'bout some pictures of it.

unixrevolution
20-Jan-2012, 07:37
Craigslist. :D It had actually been listed several times since late November.

I wish I had bought it then, (And had a lens and film) my grandfather died early this month and I was thinking about doing a LF portrait of him and my grandmother. Now my plan is to source a wide angle and get some interior shots of their house before it's cleared out of their stuff. (Grandma's moving to some old age condo thingy.)

Never buy later what you can buy now.

William Whitaker
20-Jan-2012, 07:40
Photograph your grandmother. This must be a very difficult time for her. And having to leave her home for "some old age condo thingy" doesn't help. She'd appreciate the attention and you'd get a photograph that all your family will appreciate.

jp
20-Jan-2012, 08:50
Photograph your grandmother. This must be a very difficult time for her. And having to leave her home for "some old age condo thingy" doesn't help. She'd appreciate the attention and you'd get a photograph that all your family will appreciate.

Absolutely. Unless she's a picture of perfect health, elderly spouses sometimes don't last as long as you'd think after their companion is gone. I photographed a 90-ish year old woman from our church last month less than two weeks before she died. She loved the attention and the old camera.

Will Frostmill
20-Jan-2012, 10:50
Thanks!
Yes, I also agree with Will Whitaker.

Vascilli
20-Jan-2012, 19:49
That's the plan. There's no money left in my pocket for a lens, though. My Rodenstock 480mm is over a month away from being in my hands, and it's not wide enough for the interior shots I'd like to do. I really don't want to give up and go digital on images with such importance. (Although I'll definitely be shooting it to test composition and exposure, $20/shot sort of leads itself to that, at least for me.)

Vascilli
29-Jan-2012, 12:51
Damn, I must be lucky. 2 boxes of Fuji RDP II and a box of RDP III from between 1997 and 2001 for $10 each. 50 sheets in each one makes $0.20 per sheet. (I think one box has less) Plus a loose Horseman 7x loupe for $5 which I promptly managed to tighten up when I got home. :D

Jim Jones
29-Jan-2012, 13:31
While waiting for a lens, consider faster film and pinhole photography. For wide angle photography, it can produce decent images in 8x10 with fast film. Indoor photography with a LF pinhole camera presents problems unless you can leave the camera set up for perhaps hours.