PDA

View Full Version : schneider Tele-Xenar 270mm broken shutter...help

ghe67
17-Nov-2011, 09:35
HI guys,
first of all excuse my stupidity....:(
I've bought a tele-Xenar 270mm from a forum member, this morning I've received it.
So, I've read a lot of instructions about the right way to operate the Compur Dial shutter, setted to m, setted the time, cocked and...no way to release.
Uhmm...the release lever seems blocked so I've try to put just a little more force on it and...now it's broken, the lens is in fantastic conditions as the shutter, is really mint.:mad:
Now, there is no one in my town and maybe in Italy able to do some repair job on such an old and particular shutter and frankly I don't like the idea of a worldwide CLA saga so my choice for the moment is to replace the shutter with another one, maybe of a modern style.
The fact is that as you know the Compur of my lens is the Compur2-5/II so not so easy to find a replacement and also not all have the same measures, but found this link:
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps%20how%20re-shutter.html

and seems possible to re-shutter my lens with a copal 1 or Compur 3 with adapter rings.
So, what do you suggest?
In your opinion would be better to find an original 2 shutter or a moder shutter to fit?
Thanks for your help, I'm really really angry.
Giorgio

you can see my lens here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82499

Steve Hamley
17-Nov-2011, 11:18
My first inclination would be to fix the shutter, simply because that would likely be cheapest.

Second cheapest would probably be to find a complete similar lens with glass problems and swap them.

Having adapter rings made would likely cost more than the lens is worth, usually about $250 - $350 US at Lens-N2-Shutter or S.K. Grimes. Precision machine work is not cheap, and the glass needs to be the same distance from the iris, and you'll also need a new aperture scale for a new shutter is you can't find a direct replacement - about $40-50 US.

Cheers, Steve