PDA

View Full Version : Worst Prints Ever! Any ideas???

Brent Long
16-Nov-2011, 21:40
I just printed my first print with Epson's Ultra Premium Presentation Matte paper, and I must say, it wasn't even close to what I had on my monitor. In fact, it wasn't even close to being close.

Now, I'm using the correct profile, am not a total newbie to printing with an inkjet (PX-5600, Japanese version of R2880), and usually get much, much better prints, even when I'm not trying. I can print without color management through the Linux Cups system and get closer. My monitor is calibrated, an older IPS from Dell (needs replacing but it's not that bad).

Let me run down how I printed initially and, hopefully, some of you kind and knowledgeable people can pick apart what, I assume, is user error (because it almost always is . . .).

1.) I edited the photo in PS CS (yep, first version of CS still), had several adjustment layers, etc.

2.) Merged as many layers as I was comfortable with, while leaving the underlying base image untouched. Nothing changed upon these merges; I always carefully check that the image remains as it should when flattening/merging adjustment layers.

3.) Saved the TIFF with the layers, at 360 dpi (but not resampled).

4.) Opened the image inside QImage, told it to print it to 13x19 (little less actually as I don't like the stretching that happens with printing borderless).

5.) Told QImage to let the print driver handle the color (image has embedded AdobeRGB1998 profile).

6.) Told the driver to print 1440x1440, Level 4 (which I've preferred with previous Epsons over the Level 5), choosing Photo Matte Paper/Pigment as Media Type (best option available with the PX-5600 driver), ***AdobeRGB1998 Input Profile, Relative Colorometric Intent, and SPR2880 UPrmMtte SprPhto.icc profile through the advanced ICM settings.

7.) I turned off sharpening in QImage and printed (should have left it on, but I've often gotten too much sharpening and so this was a little experiment . . . a very soft experiment).

*** I'm a little iffy on that setting. Is it correct that this setting should match the image's embedded profile? I'm not exactly clear on that.

And the problem with the print??? There was a whole band of a lower mid-tone that just fell off the chart. We're talking Amelia Erheart here. Gone without a trace.

Now, I see a couple of potential problems here. One, the image was not flattened completely, and so perhaps QImage isn't reading the file correctly. I'm 99% certain, however, that I've printed from unflattened TIFFs before from QImage without issue. The preview images look correct.

Two, the Input profile in the Epson driver. Should it really be the same as the embedded profile from the image? I don't know.

And three, the Media Type in the 5600 driver doesn't match the 2880 driver, but surely this is just the wording, right? The settings have to be equivalent, don't they?

Otherwise, a question. Should I just never use the Epson driver for color management when I don't need to? I could apply the profiles and whatnot from QImage if that is a better option. I have had success using the Epson driver previously, however.

Thanks for any thoughts you may offer.

Brent Long
16-Nov-2011, 22:11
Here is the photo. The top of the treeline went south and there is really no distinction in tones; it's just a blob across the print. The foreground tree experienced this somewhat also, but the reeds were worse, becoming extremely dull and lifeless. As you could imagine in a lower contrast/subtler image such as this, it wouldn't even be worthy of hanging in the dog house. The sky was moderately pleasing.

http://www.motobu-church.com/images/Web_Proof0001.jpg

MikeDote
16-Nov-2011, 22:54
I've never used Qimage, but I was always taught to have photoshop manage colors while printing... printer color management takes up more ink and also isn't as accurate

Brent Long
17-Nov-2011, 10:10
- Update -

I've printed the image again from Photoshop with pretty improved results. I did several things different, however, so I don't know for sure what accounted for the better print, or even whether it was a combination of things.

I'd still like to hear anyone's thoughts if you have any to offer.

Thanks again. And thank you, Mike, for your input. I'd never heard that about the printer driver using more ink. I think, generally, many printer drivers are indeed not as accurate as managing from color aware applications, but then the Epsons we're talking about here have all the options needed (although I noticed there is no "black point compensation" checkbox - but I assume that is performed automatically), so I figured the Epson driver was completely capable in this regard. Maybe not!?

Gem Singer
17-Nov-2011, 10:19
Brent,

Did you print with Epson Ultra-Chrome K-3 inks?

Did your printer choose the Matte Black ink and not the Photo Black ink?

Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte paper works best for me for B&W (incl. sepia toned) prints.

I don't use it for color prints.

Noah A
17-Nov-2011, 10:39
I also always use photoshop to manage colors. I also make my own profiles, however I've had great experiences with Epson's profiles when used with their papers. Again, I let PS manage colors, turn the driver's color management OFF and make sure I remember to choose the right profile.

Forgive me since I don't know that printer, but does it give you the option to choose between photo black and matte black? You may have to switch cartridges or just make a choice in the driver.

If you use photo black on matte paper you'll probably get the kind of results you're describing.

false_Aesthetic
17-Nov-2011, 10:56
I had another thought:

A few years ago I spoke with Walker from Black Point Editions. He suggested I send my images to the printer as Gray Gamma 2.2. Let the printer manage the color and then apply the toning in the advanced color options.

Dunno if you can do this with your printer (or if the images will tone as much as you want them to) but I got better prints that way.

Brent Long
17-Nov-2011, 20:34
Sorry everyone. I hadn't thought about the possibility that you wouldn't know about the R2880. I know many/most of you are on bigger machines. This is, basically, just a smaller version of the bigger, "professional", Epsons, using the K3 vivid magenta inkset. I've installed the matte black and selected that from the print driver. Other prints have been as expected.

Noah, I have to switch cartridges with this printer to go from matte to photo black. I then have to manually select which is installed in the driver. This was done, and I never touch the photo black, and therefore only have the matte paper options available in the driver.

False Aesthetic, that sounds interesting. Yes, I have that ability with the PX-5600/R2880. I may give that a shot.

Brent Long
22-Nov-2011, 08:30
Another update. I'm still not 100% sure why I had such a bad print, but I have since printed another image with very good results; the results I was expecting the first time. I printed it from Photoshop, turning off color management in the driver. I think I'll try the next one from QImage again, but do the color managing from QImage also instead of from the driver.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Robbie Shymanski
22-Nov-2011, 09:58
Quick dumb question here... did you print on the correct side of the sheet? Sometimes it is hard to catch with that paper in some lights.

Brent Long
22-Nov-2011, 20:20
Quick dumb question here... did you print on the correct side of the sheet? Sometimes it is hard to catch with that paper in some lights.

I'll recheck that. I'm usually very careful with that, however, so I doubt it. Now if I can remember where I put it . . .

Brent Long
23-Nov-2011, 14:24
Well, I'm getting really good results now. I still don't know exactly what happened before, but even printing from QImage is working quite fine. I'm getting better prints than I've yet experienced from an inkjet (the only printing I've done, however); really pleased.

The original, horrible, print was, indeed, printed on the correct side of the paper, by the way.