View Full Version : Ilford 4x5 Pinhole Camera

Capocheny
16-Nov-2011, 16:49
FYI...

http://www.youtube.com/user/harmantl

Cheers

cosseboom
16-Nov-2011, 17:39
Looks like a nice little kit. Kind of expensive at $245.

Joanna Carter
17-Nov-2011, 02:56
The cameras are made by Mike Walker http://www.walkercameras.com/index.html, so you know they've got to be good :)

Phil Hudson
17-Nov-2011, 05:52
In know what you mean but how "good" does a pinhole camera need to be?! :eek:

Scott Walker
17-Nov-2011, 08:40
In know what you mean but how "good" does a pinhole camera need to be?! :eek:

If you want good, reliable, and repeatable results, you need a good camera.

Pawlowski6132
17-Nov-2011, 11:28
If you want good, reliable, and repeatable results, you need a good camera.

You need a good enough camera. Nothing more.

E. von Hoegh
17-Nov-2011, 11:37
A sheet of 1/4" MDF and some tinfoil; tape, X-Acto knife, pin.

All that's needed to turn any LF camera into a pinhole camera.

Ben Syverson
17-Nov-2011, 11:53
I'm happy to see a new film camera, and even happier to see a new LF film camera. And I love seeing new pinhole products.

But $245 is pretty steep. I'm planning a similar but slightly more complex ABS 4x5, and it should come in at under $100.

jp
17-Nov-2011, 13:17
Their video has gotten quite a few views in two weeks for a large format product.

I'd buy one.

While I'm capable of building one, I've got too many projects going to actually do it. And I'd need a few hundred dollars in woodworking tools to do it the right way. The dual tripod holes and levels are a big bonus. I could also build cones for it to take normal shuttered lenses, helicoids, for cheap zone focusing or casual aerial work.

Looks a lot more suitable for beating up than the very pretty wooden ones.

Matus Kalisky
17-Nov-2011, 14:03
I find the design really interesting - in particular the way the film holder acts as a film back. Price? - Well - you get box of Delta 100 and 2 boxes of paper too. And the camera probably weights next to nothing (I can imagine that one could use it with some compact table top tripod).

In any way - kudos to Ilford. It is rare to see some new LF products actually produced in Europe.

Mablo
18-Nov-2011, 04:14
One Harman prep wrote somewhere that they are absolutely excited by the huge amount of interest they have seen so far. The first production batch was sold in a week or two before anyone had actually seen the camera. Now more 4x5 cameras are in the pipeline and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 8x10 version one day.

I'm going to buy the 4x5 version and would probably buy a 8x10 version too.

jp
18-Nov-2011, 07:28
It'd be fun to have an 8x10 one to shoot paper!

Capocheny
18-Nov-2011, 18:59
I find the design really interesting - in particular the way the film holder acts as a film back. Price? - Well - you get box of Delta 100 and 2 boxes of paper too. And the camera probably weights next to nothing (I can imagine that one could use it with some compact table top tripod).

In any way - kudos to Ilford. It is rare to see some new LF products actually produced in Europe.

Hi Matus,

Well put!

Like you, I'm just happy to see another camera manufacturer in the market... and, hopefully, this will cause an increase in film sales, which is good for ALL of us LF shooters!

I'll most likely look at picking one up... hope they come out with a 5x7 version. :)

Cheers

cjbroadbent
19-Nov-2011, 13:39
Looks just right for a plastic ready-load film holder. Less fuss.

Lightbender
19-Nov-2011, 19:49
These look like a great kit! Hopefully the price will come down a little. I'd love to donate one to a local high school here that still teaches film and had a darkroom.
Maybe as more are manufactured, the price will come down. This would be perfect at 99$. I'd buy 2.

Once
20-Nov-2011, 05:53
These look like a great kit! Hopefully the price will come down a little. I'd love to donate one to a local high school here that still teaches film and had a darkroom.
Maybe as more are manufactured, the price will come down. This would be perfect at 99$. I'd buy 2.

Your post made me think - why would somebody wanting to take pinhole camera pictures wait for the price to lower when there are plenty of different and cheap price pinhole cameras doing the same job in the first place? And why don't you want to donate a good cheap price pinhole camera to the school in the first place? What am I missing? In my opinion this pinhole camera is a gimmick rip-off for what it can do.

Robert Brummitt
20-Nov-2011, 08:32
I think Ilford is trying to market it's new direct positive paper and get folks interested in large format. I can see a high school program interested in the camera. The one I volunteer at, the instructor is always looking for a way to get her kids outside the norm.
I wish that Ilford had offered a verity of kits. One that they are marketing now. One that was strickly for film and one one that uses the direct positive paper only. I truly can see kids getting excited about wet photography with this one. I can recall my feelings doing pinhole with regular paper negatives. Watching the image come up in the developer.
Once it did, I was hooked and wanted to know more and got into film.

jp
21-Nov-2011, 08:16
Your post made me think - why would somebody wanting to take pinhole camera pictures wait for the price to lower when there are plenty of different and cheap price pinhole cameras doing the same job in the first place? And why don't you want to donate a good cheap price pinhole camera to the school in the first place? What am I missing? In my opinion this pinhole camera is a gimmick rip-off for what it can do.

Right!

B&H shows wooden pinhole cameras starting at $58.95.

Nothing's stopping me from getting one, except I live in a very humid area and would be concerned that a cheap wooden camera might not last well stashed in my car or bad-weather shooting situations.

The Ilford camera looks to be more rugged for my uses and resellable if I change my mind.