PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry volume for Jobo 2551 + (2) 2509?

Sean Galbraith
16-Nov-2011, 11:12
I searched but couldn't find the answer... what volume of chemistry do I need to fully cover 12 sheets of 45 loaded in a Jobo 2551 (2 2509 film holders)? The tank only provided a volume for 8 sheets.

ndrs
16-Nov-2011, 11:23
Should be the same minimum for 12. Jobo recommended to leave middle groove empty for 2509 (but not for 2509n, the new version with wings). I usually pour the entire one-litre bottle in for this size tank. A litre is the maximum amount allowed for CPA2.
Try also this link: http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/instructions/instructions_misc_tank_and_drum_capacities.htm

Jehu
16-Nov-2011, 12:09
I've been using a full liter for a while now. I haven't had a problem. I did have some problems when I used 600ml. That was my method of getting an extra couple of batches out of my 4 liter kit by mixing smaller portions. It didn't pay.

Ari
16-Nov-2011, 19:03
I use 640 mL, it's perfect.
The sticker on the outside of the tank recommends 560mL of solution, but I use 640 mL since I use HC-110 dil H (1:63), that way it's easy to remember the quantities.

GeorgesGiralt
17-Nov-2011, 08:14
Hello !
First of all remember that Jobo printed quantities are absolute minimum to wet all film in the tank.
Depending on the chemistry you use, you may need more than that (i.e. PMK need 500 cc for one 135/36 film which is 4 sheets of 4x5, so if you process 8 they will get out baddly underdev.)
Last but not least, if you use a CPE (CEP2 or CEP2 Plus) the absolute maximum of load is 600 CC chemistry in the tank. It would be bad to destroy a un-replaceable motor...
Calculating the amount of chemistry is elementary math : Calculate the volume of the cylinder inside the tank and take half of it as you use the tank horizontally...

Sean Galbraith
17-Nov-2011, 08:16
Hrm... I guess I shouldn't have used 1200ml then. (I have a CPE2)

GeorgesGiralt
17-Nov-2011, 08:16
Hello !
First of all remember that Jobo printed quantities are absolute minimum to wet all film in the tank.
Depending on the chemistry you use, you may need more than that (i.e. PMK need 500 cc for one 135/36 film which is 4 sheets of 4x5, so if you process 8 they will get out badly underdeveloped.)
Last but not least, if you use a CPE (CPE2 or CPE2 Plus) the absolute maximum of load is 600 CC chemistry in the tank. It would be bad to destroy a un-replaceable motor...
Calculating the amount of chemistry is elementary math : Calculate the volume of the cylinder inside the tank and take half of it as you use the tank horizontally...

GeorgesGiralt
17-Nov-2011, 08:17
Funny, editing my post to correct typos, it gets duplicated...

Chauncey Walden
17-Nov-2011, 15:03
Georges wrote: Depending on the chemistry you use, you may need more than that (i.e. PMK need 500 cc for one 135/36 film which is 4 sheets of 4x5, so if you process 8 they will get out badly underdeveloped.)

I have never used more than 300cc of PMK per 8x10 equivalent with no underdevelopment. Actually, overdevelopment is more likely for me. I do use Gordon's recommendation of adding EDTA for rotary development.

GeorgesGiralt
19-Nov-2011, 10:05
Well Chauncey,
This recommendation came from the book by Gordon. I must admit that my copy is old,so maybe it has revised the capacity.
My advice was for hand processing, when using a Jobo I use half the amount for half the time, and switch developing solution at mid time.
Last but not least,there has been years I did not use PMK. These times, I use HC110.

Ivan J. Eberle
20-Nov-2011, 07:20
I don't have my processing notes handy but do recall two things about the JOBO recommended volume and my CPP2. First is that the minimum amounts to wet out film are stated and I've had to find and use the correct volumes from Kodak/Fuji/Ilford based on the total area of film instead. Another is that agitation is critical to a number of color processes--bleach (acid) in particular-- and too much chemistry interferes with rotary processing.