PDA

View Full Version : Shutter for Voigtlander

Two23
15-Nov-2011, 16:37
I just received an 1865 Voigtlander Petzval. It's spectacular! I can't wait to shoot with it. I got to thinking maybe I could have an adapter made and screw a shutter onto it. I have an Imagon with Copal 3, which looked close. However, I measured the rear of the Voigtlander and it's 68mm. Hmm. What shutter will fit that? How hard will it be to find? Is it going to look totally hokey on my Chamonix 45N and the little technical lensboards? :D I think if I put a shutter on it I'd use it a lot. Lens is ~180mm FL, very usuable on 4x5.

Kent in SD

domaz
15-Nov-2011, 16:59
The easiest thing would be to find a shutter to front-mount. You said the rear threads are 68mm but what about the front glass? If you could get a big old Ilex 5 on the front it could work. Personally I have a Sinar Shutter that I can mount snugly on the front of one of my Petzvals. It works but makes for a heavy not to balanced setup. You could also go the Packard shutter route but your lensboard size could be an issue there.

Louis Pacilla
16-Nov-2011, 09:27
Hey Kent, here's an idea. Start looking for a LUC or LUC type front mount shutter. LUC #5-7 will be useful sizes.

Here is a 6 "1862 Voigtlander Portrait lens with #6 LUC shutter. This size LUC will hit 50th -60th a sec in instant mode and a bulb mode many slower times may be created through the operators touch on the cable release.

I really dig my LUC shutter for simplicity of use They do NOT get out of working order easily and oh so simple to carry and mount. I have three sizes 4-6-9 that fit just about all my travel barrel lenses.

Here-

Two23
16-Nov-2011, 18:43
Hey Kent, here's an idea. Start looking for a LUC or LUC type front mount shutter. LUC #5-7 will be useful sizes.

-

That might work, and would be cheaper. What the hell is LUC though?

Kent in SD

Louis Pacilla
16-Nov-2011, 22:08
That might work, and would be cheaper. What the hell is LUC though?

Kent in SD

Luc was/is a company name. There where several manufacturers of front/rear mount simple leaf shutter.The Luc shutters were made in West Germany. I have one made by Trixale and manufactured in England.

BTW The name is in Luc and not LUC. So not an acronym. My bad.:eek: