PDA

View Full Version : Tray development of old HP5+ negs in XTOL: recommendations?

Erec Grim
2-Oct-2003, 12:00
Last summer I shot some group portraits, then learned that the community college where I do all my developing & printing cancelled summer classes. Fall term has now finally begun, and I can develop the film. I have kept the filmholders in a freezer, in airtight bags, most of the time since the film was exposed.

I just bought some XTOL and would appreciate suggestions for starting times and dilutions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

And yes, I do plan to start building my own darkroom.

Mark Sampson
2-Oct-2003, 12:49
I don't have dev times for you, but XTOL works best diluted 1:1. You'll need at least 100ml of the developer per sheet of 8x10, although that shouldn't be an issue in tray development.

Walter Glover
2-Oct-2003, 14:17
Erec,

From my own experiences the HP5+ / Xtol 1+1 combo is pretty unbeatable and at 70ºF a reasonable starting place for negs of scenes of NORMAL brightness range would be 10 minutes. That gives me 8x10s suitable for contact printing with filter 2.5.

Jay DeFehr
2-Oct-2003, 14:18
Rather than guess at a development time and dilution, I would suggest that you choose your dilution (1:1-1:3) and develop your negs by inspection under a green safelight. This link:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/devinsp.html

gives a detailed explanation and instructions. Why risk even one precious sheet of 8x10?

William D. Lester
3-Oct-2003, 06:46
I would agree pretty much with Walter. HP5 EI 250 Xtol 1:1 11 minutes @ 68 Deg and a number 2 filter works well for me.

Ed Pierce
3-Oct-2003, 09:35
Only because it hasn't been mentioned, I'll say it...develop one and print it before developing the rest.