PDA

View Full Version : Options for 4X5 Ultrawide

John Conway
14-Nov-2011, 17:01
I have been considering the 47 SA 5.6 but can't seem to find any other options. I have read somewhere that someone said they used the 38 SA on 4X5 without moves. But according to the specs, the image circle is not big enough. But I can't figure why someone would lie about something like that. Either it covers or it does not.There doesn't seem to be anything else in the ultrawide choices for 4X5.

briand
14-Nov-2011, 18:14
Hi John,
To the best of my knowledge the 48XL is the wides lens you can use on a 4x5, I have one on my Ultra Wide, you could only use a 38XL if you had a roll film or digital back on the 4x5.
Hope this helps
Cheers Brian :)

rdenney
14-Nov-2011, 21:46
The Super Angulon 47/5.6 XL has coverage for 4x5. Nothing shorter does. The 47/5.6 SA (non-XL) is intended for 6x9 and does not cover 4x5 at all.

Rick "who uses a 47/5.6 with 6x12 with some vignetting" Denney

neil poulsen
14-Nov-2011, 23:11
An early issue of View Finder magazine (pre-XL) days demonstrated using a 47mm S.A. f5.6 for an architectural photo of a dining room. It works, but the corners are a little shaded from the fall-off.

Lachlan 717
14-Nov-2011, 23:31
Any wider than 47mm and you'll be seeing your own bum when you look at the ground glass...

It is very, very wide.

Gary Tarbert
15-Nov-2011, 00:48
I have used a 58xl recessed boards ,bag bellows ,centre spot filter ,All required and very little movements ,quite frankly i think anything wider than 58 would be a giant pain the A!!!.
Just my 2 cents worth Regards Gary

rdenney
15-Nov-2011, 22:50
An early issue of View Finder magazine (pre-XL) days demonstrated using a 47mm S.A. f5.6 for an architectural photo of a dining room. It works, but the corners are a little shaded from the fall-off.

That's how I describe the effect I get using a pre-XL 47/5.6 with 6x12, and the diameter of 6x12 is 125mm, only 2mm larger than the stated coverage of the lens (123mm).

I guess I'd like to see that picture to see what you mean by "a little shaded". I'm thinking it must not illuminated quite a bit of the corners of 4x5 at all. That's a lot of shade.

Rick "who really needs the officially correct center filter for that lens" Denney

Ivan J. Eberle
16-Nov-2011, 11:46
Does the IC improve significantly enough with any of the other non-47XL lens at hyperfocal distance to provide better format coverage (or at least adequate)?

rdenney
16-Nov-2011, 21:32
Does the IC improve significantly enough with any of the other non-47XL lens at hyperfocal distance to provide better format coverage (or at least adequate)?

Not likely. In this 6x12 frame (which I've used before because I have it on the web and can link to it), the lens was sharply focused on the nearest point of the cannon wheel, which is no more than four or five feet from the camera. I corrected the image substantially (in Photoshop) for vignetting, but you can see where vignetting became extreme enough in the corners to defy correction. This is pretty close to a hyperfocal distance situation, though I did not specifically focus it that way.

http://www.rickdenney.com/images/Niagra_cannon_scan19-20_lr.jpg

This image was made using a non-XL 47/5.6 Super Angulon at f/22.

Even for 6x9, a center filter might be helpful when using narrow film (Velvia) as in this case.

Rick "who'll someday spring for the XL" Denney