PDA

View Full Version : Printing negatives on a printer?

alex from holland
14-Nov-2011, 04:07
Halle,

is there anyone having any experiences with printing negatives with a normal large format printer ?

if yes, what transparent material are you using ?

thanks

alex

bob carnie
14-Nov-2011, 06:40
I am printing silver negatives off a lambda 76 printer for silver and alt purposes.
I am also printing inkjet negs off a epson 7800 for lith and solarization silver prints and alt purposes

for silver negs Rollie Ortho 25 and soon Ilford Ortho 25.

for inkjet pictorico

alex from holland
14-Nov-2011, 09:27
Hello Bob,

thanks for your reply. I have a 7600 and a 7800.
what transparent material are you using as base??
Pictorico is a white based film and i need a transparent material

Alex

cyrus
14-Nov-2011, 09:30
You can of course print negatives for contact printing on normal printers however probably not for enlarging unless you want to see pixels (or at least that was the case 2 years ago.)

D. Bryant
14-Nov-2011, 09:52
Hello Bob,

thanks for your reply. I have a 7600 and a 7800.
what transparent material are you using as base??
Pictorico is a white based film and i need a transparent material

Alex

Pictorico isn't necessarily a white film. The Pictorico White Film is good for making prints on silver gelatin paper. It's not good for processes that require a UV light pritner such as palladium/platinum since it is virtually opaque to UV light.

Pictorico OHP is what you are looking for:

http://diamond-jet.com/premiumohptransparencyfilm.aspx

Of course there are similar other products to choose from. All of these products are intended for contact printing not projection printing.

Don Bryant

alex from holland
14-Nov-2011, 11:13
The first thought is for enlarging. Not for contactprinting.
Any suggestion for material available in europe?

Alex

cyrus
14-Nov-2011, 15:22
I don't think you'll have a lot of success for enlarging a digital negative. There just isn't a printer out there whose drop size is the same as a film negative grain. Maybe try using a film writer, if you can find one that works and has the software.

sara_criss
12-Mar-2012, 07:19
You can't go wrong with the Epson 4870; worth every penny and then some! what say ?

jb7
12-Mar-2012, 07:38
The first thought is for enlarging. Not for contactprinting.
Any suggestion for material available in europe?

Alex

I've printed onto photographic film-
the emulsion side, if I remember correctly-
though it was Foma 400, which has a surface that can accept retouching, on the non-emulsion side.

I used an Epson R1800- with an unexposed/developed sheet of film.

I had more success with 8x10; there's a sheet of 4x5 still stuck in the printer.
I'm sure it'll come out when it's ready...

bob carnie
12-Mar-2012, 09:54
We are making silver negatives off the lambda, we doubt that any of them would be viable for high quality enlargement.
But we have made enlarger prints on Ilford Warmtone, then taken the same 4x5 negative scanned and made silver negatives via the Lambda to same size as the enlarger print.
Then we have contact printed the enlarged film on Ilford Warmtone... The results are extremely positive , and we see this as a great way of making silver prints with a basic contact setup..