PDA

View Full Version : Linhof hand strap?

Darin Boville
13-Nov-2011, 21:17
Is this--the hand strap on this Linhof Master--a official Linhof part of something else?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=68971

--Darin

Frank Petronio
13-Nov-2011, 21:44
They sell it, it has a metal bracket and two fat-flat bolts to hold it. I had one and it is quite nice, certainly more compact than the ergonomic grip. I'm sure Bob S. will pop up with a part number soon.

TJV
14-Nov-2011, 00:08
I bought one from Linhof and Studio, UK. Very nice product. I'm pretty sure it's an official product but aren't certain.

Bob Salomon
14-Nov-2011, 07:32
Linhof only makes a strap for the left side of the body and an anatomical strap for the left hand grip. They do not make a strap for the right side of the body or for the Right Hand Grip. It would not be that difficult to modify the standard left strap and mounting plate to mount to the right side but using two straps would make setting camera controls rather tricky as one hand supports the camera normally and the other works the shutter, focus, darkslides, etc.

Noah A
14-Nov-2011, 08:42
Unless I'm missing something, the strap in the referenced photo was on the Left side. On the right side a plate was added to replace the RF, which is a different issue entirely.

My MT2000 came with a strap on the Left side. With no RF, I guess Linhof (correctly) thought that most photographers wouldn't be handholding the camera. The strap is smaller than the anatomical grip but it still gives you something to hold on to when mounting to a tripod, for example.

If you're not hand-holding, the strap is perfect. I don't know the part number, but as far as I know with the recent cameras and parts (Master Technika, MT2/3000, etc.), the strap is interchangeable with the metal dovetail mount for the grip.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious--is the metal plate that replaces the RF an official Linhof part, or must it be fabricated? If I ever find a beater V or IV I plan to remove the RF and I'd love a plate to cover it up.

I'd give Marflex a call, I'm sure martin can set you up with the strap if it's available. I don't think I've ever seen one on the used market. For a while I was thinking I'd replace my strap with a grip for occasional handheld use, but there's no way I'd sell the strap--it's great for travel.

Bob Salomon
14-Nov-2011, 08:57
Unless I'm missing something, the strap in the referenced photo was on the Left side. On the right side a plate was added to replace the RF, which is a different issue entirely.

My MT2000 came with a strap on the Left side. With no RF, I guess Linhof (correctly) thought that most photographers wouldn't be handholding the camera. The strap is smaller than the anatomical grip but it still gives you something to hold on to when mounting to a tripod, for example.

If you're not hand-holding, the strap is perfect. I don't know the part number, but as far as I know with the recent cameras and parts (Master Technika, MT2/3000, etc.), the strap is interchangeable with the metal dovetail mount for the grip.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious--is the metal plate that replaces the RF an official Linhof part, or must it be fabricated? If I ever find a beater V or IV I plan to remove the RF and I'd love a plate to cover it up.

I'd give Marflex a call, I'm sure martin can set you up with the strap if it's available. I don't think I've ever seen one on the used market. For a while I was thinking I'd replace my strap with a grip for occasional handheld use, but there's no way I'd sell the strap--it's great for travel.

It is a Linhof part.

Darin Boville
14-Nov-2011, 09:17
Anyone have a guesstimate on cost? I know, call Marflex, but other than that anyone know?

--Darin

Frank Petronio
14-Nov-2011, 10:03
I found one used but it was very well made so expect a new one to be expensive compared to other brands.

Having removed a RF from a IV with inelegant force, what remains are only a few gaps and holes, nothing you stick a finger through - just something to cover to keep dust out of the camera. If you are recovering the camera with new covering from cameraleather.com then be sure to get an extra piece you can trim to fit yourself - I'd run some clear tape on the interior of the body shell and use some auto body putty to fill the spaces. Sand and cover....