PDA

View Full Version : Farmer's Reducer from existing Toning Bleach Solution - Possible?

DanK
13-Nov-2011, 17:19
Can I make a Farmer's Reducer Solution from an existing (already mixed) mixture of Toning Bleach?

If so, how?

I know it's a combination of fixer and bleach - but what proportions, and does it have to be sodium thiosulfate, or will ammonium thiosulfate suffice?

Thanks

jeroldharter
15-Nov-2011, 14:00
You should mention what you mean by "toning bleach" in terms of brand or chemical composition and also state your purpose for needing Farmer's reducer specifically.

DanK
15-Nov-2011, 14:29
You should mention what you mean by "toning bleach" in terms of brand or chemical composition and also state your purpose for needing Farmer's reducer specifically.

Thanks...it's a mixed formulary bleach - but, it has seen prints through it...

Originally a 1 liter solution with -
Potassium Ferricyanide 50 g
Potassium Bromide 10 g
Sodium Carbonate 20 g

As far as use of the Farmer's reducer, selective bleaching of highlight areas of FB BW prints - post initial fix, prior to toning - Experimenting with some outdated fogged paper

Thanks again,
Dan

Doremus Scudder
16-Nov-2011, 07:10
Dan, what you have is a rehalogenating bleach (for sepia toning I assume, although I'm not sure why the carbonate...).

At any rate, this will bleach prints all by itself. No need to add fixer to it. I use a similar rehalogenating bleach (just ferri and bromide) for most of my print bleaching and find it quite easy to work with. Plus, bleached areas can be redeveloped if need (which is not possible with Farmer's reducer). Be sure to refix and wash after bleaching.

Best,

Doremus Scudder