PDA

View Full Version : any one know a good free image re-sizer for mac?

cosmicexplosion
12-Nov-2011, 17:57
As a certifiable Ludite, ( i still believe in the human soul)

i have been trying to upload pics on this site, but usually have probs, (it would be good to have an auto feature on an image based website!)

but, short of buying a program, like aperture, which i will do eventually, is any one using any good freebies.

i just tried to down load a couple but none seemed to work.

reminding me why i love being a ludite, and hate being caught in the maelstrom of stupid computers.

cheers

Andruski BaBa

Ken Lee
12-Nov-2011, 18:22
There is a very popular free program called GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) - and there are plenty of free GIMP tutorials on the web too.

J. Gilbert Plantinga
12-Nov-2011, 18:24
If you're on a Mac you can use Preview which is part of OS X

Leigh
12-Nov-2011, 18:28
The Phocus program from Hasselblad will do most image manipulations that the high-priced programs will do...

and it's free. Download from www.hasselbladusa.com

You need to register at the site, but that's free, and you get email notices of updates (also free).

Excellent program, and works with all standard file formats. The Mac version works with proprietary raw formats from most manufacturers.

- Leigh

cosmicexplosion
12-Nov-2011, 18:38
ok sorry am ludite...cant seem to work out preview whilst i down load gimp.

so, i have a screen shot i pulled from web, its to big for some reason, also a screen shot

to me it seems like a really small image but any way.

can you give a bit of a step by step

or is that asking to much?

Ben Syverson
12-Nov-2011, 18:48
Step 1: Go into Preview, and choose "Adjust Size..." from the Tools menu.

cosmicexplosion
12-Nov-2011, 18:58
ah i see the prob, the tools menu has light grey words for all the things i want not black so the mouse does not work on them!

thanks for your help, any last tips?

cosmicexplosion
12-Nov-2011, 18:59
oh i get it you have to open some thing first scratch that

thanks

cosmicexplosion
12-Nov-2011, 19:04
ok have just uploaded my phunny foto and you are all to blame!

Jeffrey Sipress
12-Nov-2011, 19:24
Yes, Preview is a good quick and dirty way to resize and do basic tonal adjustments. Resize first, then sharpen then save as jpg.

mdm
12-Nov-2011, 19:38
Picasa?

cosmicexplosion
12-Nov-2011, 19:42
i really dont know why billion doller iphoto does not do it.

The web and photo's have been synonymous for years, decades even, but like me and digital, we will catch up, eventually.

lenser
12-Nov-2011, 19:47
I don't know if this works on Mac, but it is incredibly simple on my Gateway.

resizr.lord-lance.com/default.asp

jackpie
13-Nov-2011, 05:15
iPhoto will do it when you use "Export".

cjbroadbent
13-Nov-2011, 14:26
Not quite free: K Studio Resize (http://kstudio.net/re.html)
I use it to get collections of jpegs to the same size for my web portfolio (http://www.christopherbroadbent.pro/).

cosmicexplosion
13-Nov-2011, 16:51
iPhoto will do it when you use "Export".

thanks very much

thanks every one

your a bunch of champs!

engl
13-Nov-2011, 18:59
One thing to keep in mind is that there is lots of software that does not resize images correctly. The problem is that they are not gamma-aware so they alter the brightness of the image by incorrectly assuming that output R/G/B intensities are a linear function of the R/G/B values of an image. When taking the average of a R255 G255 B255 pixel and a R0 G0 B0 pixel in a non-linear color space (including sRGB, AdobeRGB etc.), R127 G127 B127 would not be correct. You can read about the issue here:
http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html

I have no idea if iPhoto is correct, but I'd assume it is since the OSX image processing library is.

Ben Syverson
13-Nov-2011, 19:37
iPhoto and Preview do it correctly. The entire Quartz imaging pipeline is based on linear values.

However, I'm sure it's bilinear interpolation, which is not "ideal" for either reductions or enlargements. But it is GPU accelerated, and if you're really that picky you should own Photoshop anyway.

Wayne Crider
13-Nov-2011, 20:23
I always used iphoto and it did a great job.