PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for cutting 8/10 LF sheets to 5/7

Jan Normandale
12-Nov-2011, 12:29
I've just finished a disheartening search for 5/7 film and find only Kodak's Portra 160 in 5/7 sheets at B&H. Because of this I have decided I need to buy 8/10 and cut it.

Any suggestions regarding
cutting boards
cutters
methods
avoiding scratching the emulsion
etc etc

all comments and experiences are appreciated.

thanks, Jan

jayabbas
12-Nov-2011, 13:01
Rotatrim cutter -- polish all surfaces that can contact film for avoidance of scratches.

John Koehrer
12-Nov-2011, 16:05
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?q=sheet+film&rfnp=40&rfnc=404&mfg=all&catsel=all&

They gots some

Ron Stowell
12-Nov-2011, 17:23
Check out E-Bay just bought some there myself

winterclock
12-Nov-2011, 17:49
I haven't tried cutting any yet myself. The ebay seller is back to selling full rolls for over $200 and $6+ per sheet in a box of 50 sheets is out of my league. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes. I really would like to try some color film sooner or later.

Jan Normandale
13-Nov-2011, 01:07
Rotatrim cutter -- polish all surfaces that can contact film for avoidance of scratches.

I'll check the local hardware or artists supply shops .. thanks !

Jan Normandale
13-Nov-2011, 01:10
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?q=sheet+film&rfnp=40&rfnc=404&mfg=all&catsel=all&

They gots some

Hi John... I should have been more specific in my post.. I posted for colour film ie C41 or E6.. Freestyle doesn't have any colour unfortunately however I do order BW from Freestyle already. I can recommend the Efke. I regularly use Tri X and HP5+ as well as FP4+

thanks for the thought

Jan Normandale
13-Nov-2011, 01:13
Check out E-Bay just bought some there myself

Ron, my omission.. I should have stated I was looking for colour film.. not BW. I am well stocked for 5/7 by all the regular suspects on that front. Thanks

Jan Normandale
13-Nov-2011, 01:15
I haven't tried cutting any yet myself. The ebay seller is back to selling full rolls for over $200 and $6+ per sheet in a box of 50 sheets is out of my league. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes. I really would like to try some color film sooner or later.

I saw someone selling rolls of expired film for $200++ on Ebay. I don't think I'm a player for that. The curl on the last half of the roll will be horrific. I don't feel like dealing with seriously curled 5/7 film. It's one challenge more and I've enough of them already/.

Bill Suderman
13-Nov-2011, 07:48
I have used masking or duct tape on my paper cutter bed to cut film. The tape needs to be thick enough to be easily located and used as a jig in the dark and safely away from the cutter. Works well. Take the tape off the cutter as soon as you finish or tape adhesive will stick to the bed.

CAUTION: Be sure to dry your hands before touching the film emulsion! Moisture on your fingertips WILL leave fingerprints in/on the film. I always placed the film emulsion up. I imagined that I'd reduce scratches in the emulsion and, often, there is a slight curl in the film, enough to miss the edge of the tape.

Jan Normandale
13-Nov-2011, 22:30
@ Bill and X Phot.. thanks for those ideas. I think I'll start looking for a cutting mat and then set up some kind of jig. Are you doing this by "touch" in a darkroom with no light ?

Jan Normandale
13-Nov-2011, 23:04
Yep. When cutting film (normal & x-ray), I do this in total darkness. Using one cotton on one hand leaves the other hand free for the touchy-feely stuff. Once the film/paper is in a light-tight box, then I'll turn on the lights to change the cutter guide settings. For paper negatives I use the safe light for the whole process.
That's what I figured. Thanks

Frank Petronio
13-Nov-2011, 23:22
The hardest part is finding a 1x10 panoramic camera to shoot the leftover film with.

gary mulder
14-Nov-2011, 02:30
Here the same method as X.Phot. For marking the emulsion side I use a punch with some tape on it as guide. The punch makes a recess like the one left under.

Valdecus
14-Nov-2011, 05:42
The hardest part is finding a 1x10 panoramic camera to shoot the leftover film with.

The camera is not the problem: it is the 1x10 film holders that are hard to come by.

Frank Petronio
14-Nov-2011, 06:29
They just don't make the 1x10 holders like they used to, quality has really slipped.

Jan Normandale
16-Nov-2011, 16:23

I actually thought ... "wonder what you could do with that left over strip?" ;D

Jan Normandale
16-Nov-2011, 16:25
The camera is not the problem: it is the 1x10 film holders that are hard to come by.

Let me think about this...

Jan Normandale
16-Nov-2011, 16:27
They just don't make the 1x10 holders like they used to, quality has really slipped.

Wow... it's Horatio Alger time! I could be the one to make a better 1/10 holder. When I do the world will beat a path to my door. Success at last!
:-P
joke/humour

Jan Normandale
16-Nov-2011, 16:32
Here the same method as X.Phot. For marking the emulsion side I use a punch with some tape on it as guide. The punch makes a recess like the one left under.

Thx Gary, I was originally thinking of cutting on a mat with a Olfa blade but this sounds like I should go for a cutter. I'll keep your tip in mind when I start.

Kevin Crisp
17-Nov-2011, 09:15
Using a suggestion in an earlier thread I made a small fence on my guillotine paper cutter using strips of blue painter's tape. Two or three layers give you enough of an edge to line of the sheet. Hold the film down when you cut so it doesn't slip. I've had no problems with finger prints if I wash my hands first. The ridge of the tape is so slight you can use a paper cutter normal duties without taking it off. And I just take a little clip off the corner with a paper punch.

Skip Roessel
17-Nov-2011, 11:47
Hey pal,

if you want 5.x7 Ektachrome 64T, (EPY 6118, and Eastman Cat 120 8453) I have 26 sheets free for the postage, I guess about $15. Dated 9/2001 and last shoot was 2/04, which was perfect.

Let me know if you need any 5x7 Plus-X or Ektapan. Stocked up when Eastman dropped it in 2004.

Skip