PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat HD beginner

Peter Cast
11-Nov-2011, 02:44
Hello.

I am confused about several things concernig developing in pyrocat HD. I want to be sure before I start. Can you please help me?

My plan is to devolop 5x7 sheets of fomapan 100.

I intend to use it as a two bath developer. There are two points I dont understand. Concetration of solutions, that differ from one forum to the other between 1:1:10(20) to 1:1:100. Which is the right one? If this is the question of chemistry put in the solution than which recipe is the right one?
Second point is the time. Usualy listed times are 7-13 minutes for normal developing. Does it mean that for this formula - 1:1:100 - 10 minutes dev.time - I put film for 5 minutes in solution A and for 5 minutes in solution B, getting total developing time of 10 minutes?

Can Pyrocat HD be used as one bath developer?

If you could give me starting times and concetration for fomapan 100 I would be very thankful.

Feel stupid, but thank you very much for help.

Regards Peter Cast.

Rick A
11-Nov-2011, 04:08
While I've never used Pcat-HD as a two bath developer,I use it alot at 1+1+100 in a single bath. Mix ratio means to add 1ml of sol A plus 1ml sol B per every 100ml of water. Example would be start with 1L (liter) of water, add 10ml A then 10ml B and stir. Mix just prior to use and discard when finished developing. The tank I use requires 850ml of solution to develope four to six 4x5 sheets. I add 8.5ml each A and B to 850 ml water and pour into tank with films inside, develope for required time and pour down the drain when finished. I am almost always happy with the results I get with it, when I'm not is because I did something wrong, not the developer's fault.
Whatever you do, never cross contaminate the bottles with anything, I use two different syringes for measuring and marked with A on one and B on the other, do not confuse the caps either, you will kill the developer.

My time for Fomapan 100 is 15min @ 20c for Pyrocat-HD, your time may differ for your personal taste. You can consult the Massive development chart on Digitaltruth website for more info.http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Fomapan+100&Developer=Pyrocat&mdc=Search

Ken Lee
11-Nov-2011, 06:25
See www.pyrocat-hd.com (http://www.pyrocat-hd.com)

Curt
11-Nov-2011, 07:19
I put A and B on the caps with a felt pen. They should come that way.

Bob McCarthy
11-Nov-2011, 08:34
Does A kill B,

or B kill A

or both.

I've been using the same syringe with a rinse between. I would never carry B into A, but I suppose its possible to inadequately rinse from A to B.

never thought it was a problem, but maybe not.....

bob

While I've never used Pcat-HD as a two bath developer,I use it alot at 1+1+100 in a single bath. Mix ratio means to add 1ml of sol A plus 1ml sol B per every 100ml of water. Example would be start with 1L (liter) of water, add 10ml A then 10ml B and stir. Mix just prior to use and discard when finished developing. The tank I use requires 850ml of solution to develope four to six 4x5 sheets. I add 8.5ml each A and B to 850 ml water and pour into tank with films inside, develope for required time and pour down the drain when finished. I am almost always happy with the results I get with it, when I'm not is because I did something wrong, not the developer's fault.
Whatever you do, never cross contaminate the bottles with anything, I use two different syringes for measuring and marked with A on one and B on the other, do not confuse the caps either, you will kill the developer.

My time for Fomapan 100 is 15min @ 20c for Pyrocat-HD, your time may differ for your personal taste. You can consult the Massive development chart on Digitaltruth website for more info.http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Fomapan+100&Developer=Pyrocat&mdc=Search

Gem Singer
11-Nov-2011, 09:07
Pyrocat-HD part A solution contains the Pyro reducing agent. Part B contains the accelerator solution.

Mixing A and B together activates the developer solution, and it begins to oxidize. It doesn't matter which solution is added first.

When using the same measuring syringe or graduate for part A and B, as long as it is completely rinsed between the two, there is no chance of activation.

When mixing Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100, I find that diluting A with half of the the water, diluting B with the other half, then mixing the two together to make the total amount, works best for me.

Peter Gomena
11-Nov-2011, 09:24
You may find that using the 1:1:100 will give better results as you're learning to use this developer than the divided 1:10 process. I've found processing sheet film in trays with the divided developer nearly impossible due to mottling effects in skies and areas of smooth tones. I'm going to experiment with some other method to see if it works better, but in the meantime, I'm going to stay with the 1:1:100 dilution. This is my favorite developer these days.

Peter Gomena

gevalia
11-Nov-2011, 16:55
Does A kill B,

or B kill A

or both.

I've been using the same syringe with a rinse between. I would never carry B into A, but I suppose its possible to inadequately rinse from A to B.

never thought it was a problem, but maybe not.....

bob

Ralnphot is in my ballpark but as Ken suggested, use the link. There is a lot of info there and this has been discussed a lot. I'm not being short with you, there really is a lot there and I have used that info all along the way.

My technique is using an HP-Combi tank. Whether 4 or 6 sheets, I use the same mix. 10.5ml A + 10.5ml B + 1050ml water. This is your single bath - 1 time use of the mix. Unless I know I will have blown highlights and we all know when to expect them, I use the single bath. That's maybe 95% of the time. For two-bath I use
1+15 (you can start with 1+10 as the web site says) for bath A and the same for bath B. I do both baths (bath A and bath B) for 6 minutes for Efke 25 as well as HP5+ when doing two bath. You need to realize just how much two-bath will use in chemicals. I honestly believe it is overkill for most of my work and Pyrocat-HD 1+1+100 will last a lot longer.

But seriously, the web site refers to a few discussions on this forum that will give you all you need.

Good luck,
Ron