PDA

View Full Version : Stripes on the negatives

Guenther
10-Nov-2011, 12:47
Hello all,
I need your help. I have stripes on my negs in the longitudinal direction from the development. My workflow is:
Developer: pyrocat hd 1+1+100/ 400ml
developing time: 20°C
rotation in a Jobo CPE slow speed (1), Jobodrum 4530
Film Fomapan 100 13x18 cm
What is wrong and what can I do?

I would be appreciate to get some help.

Best regards
Günther

bob carnie
10-Nov-2011, 12:52
Show a jpeg of the problem and we can help.

Hello all,
I need your help. I have stripes on my negs in the longitudinal direction from the development. My workflow is:
Developer: pyrocat hd 1+1+100/ 400ml
developing time: 20°C
rotation in a Jobo CPE slow speed (1), Jobodrum 4530
Film Fomapan 100 13x18 cm
What is wrong and what can I do?

I would be appreciate to get some help.

Best regards
Günther

Andrew O'Neill
10-Nov-2011, 13:25
Kind of hard to say without a visual.

Guenther
11-Nov-2011, 12:07
Hello,
here now my negs. It would be nice to get any coment whats wrong.
Thanks,
Guenther

Brian C. Miller
11-Nov-2011, 12:18
Is the 4530 tank really a film tank? From a picture, it looks like a paper drum. The other problem is that you are using a Pyro developer for trays or dip-n-dunk tanks. You should be using Rollo Pyro for that application.

The streaks may be caused by the ribs in the drum.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Nov-2011, 12:30
I think Brian is right about the tank being for paper. That could be your problem. On the otherhand, Pyrocat-hd is prefectly fine for continuous agitation in drums or BTZS tubes.

Guenther
11-Nov-2011, 12:33
Hello Brian,
yes this is an paperdrum. I haven´t a filmdrum for 13x18cm. I fill in the negs cross to the stripes. The stripes are in the longitudinal section. I developed some negs in this drum without any stripes.

Best regards
Guenther

bob carnie
11-Nov-2011, 12:36
This is a plus density on the print which IMO would mean some type of light leak during loading.
Or
a very large issue with photoflow dripping, which would be obvious on the film.
This does not look like mottling due to insufficient agitation.

Hello,
here now my negs. It would be nice to get any coment whats wrong.
Thanks,
Guenther

Andrew O'Neill
11-Nov-2011, 12:36
Guenther, are the stripes in there to allow developer to get to the back of the film?

Guenther
11-Nov-2011, 13:11
Hello Andrew,
I have no stripes behind the film. Maybe the neg stick on the wall from the drum.
Is there a nother methode to develop the negs?

Bob Salomon
11-Nov-2011, 13:42
Hello Andrew,
I have no stripes behind the film. Maybe the neg stick on the wall from the drum.

CombiPlan T

ROL
11-Nov-2011, 15:54
Hello Andrew,

CombiPlan T

Tray.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Nov-2011, 18:29
BTZS tube... or if you have a darkroom, trays are great.

Fred L
11-Nov-2011, 20:00
I used to process in Simma drums without issue so doubt the drums are the problem. I have a CPP2 and run it at 3 or 4 and up myself so 1 would be a bit slower but I don't know fi the speeds are the same.

and just to be clear, is the film going in lengthwise or widthwise ? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how you're loading the film, sorry.

Guenther
12-Nov-2011, 07:44
Hello all,
first thank you very much for your comments.
Andrew, I think the BTZS tubes are not available in Gemany.
I have a darkroom so I´ll try the trays, but it is a long time in darkness.
Fred, I load the film widthwise in the paperdrum. In my opinion it is a little bit stupid, because I load the film widthwise in the drum and the stripes are lengthwise. I dindn´t quit understand that.

Best regards
Guenther

Andrew O'Neill
12-Nov-2011, 15:55
Hi Guenther,

Ya, I know it's a long time in the dark but worth it. Which format are you working with? I prefer one sheet at a time. You will probably have to adjust your development time a bit longer as you will be going from continuous (drum) to intermittant (tray).
Have your favourite music going to help pass the time!
By the way, I talked to a friend of mine who is a Jobo user and mentioned that there are separater clips which have wings on them that may cause uneven turbulence. Are you using them?

Guenther
13-Nov-2011, 02:54
Hello Andrew,
I work with 13x18 cm and 4x5" negs. For the 4x5" negs I have a special tube and no problems.
If I develop in trays, how long must I extend the developing time?
Can you describe the process in trays please?
At the moment I use 10´30" speed 1 for (N) in the Jobo CPE2.
I have also a separate clip for this drum, I´ll try this first.

regards
Guenther

Fred L
13-Nov-2011, 09:17
having one of those morning Guenther, sorry ;)

recap=the stripes on the film are perpendicular to the direction of the rotation ?

Andrew O'Neill
13-Nov-2011, 21:38
Guenther, I can't really say how long but with HP5 my development time in tubes is 10:35. In trays it's 12:00, 21C. I let the sheet sit for one minute between agitation cycles of 5 sec each. I Use 3, 8x10 trays, one each for development, stop, and fix. I do one sheet at a time, but many do more than one sheet using the shuffle method. Make sure you wear gloves.

Cor
14-Nov-2011, 07:19
Günther,

Previously I processed my 8*10 negatives in a Jobo paper drum and a CPE2 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=71624&highlight=Cor+paper+drum+jobo). Hp5+ and PyrocatHD. I had trouble with that combination, which I could only solve by switching to a Patterson Orbital tank (one sheet at a time).

I also had added densities on 4*5 with PyrocatHD on the Jobo this time with the 2509N reel. Switching to a Expert 3010 Jobo drum solved that (at the cost of loosing the handy CPE2, I use a roller base now).

On a side note: I am slowly switching away from PyrocatHD. It's advatages do not overcome the drawbacks In my hands.

good luck,

Cor

Guenther
15-Nov-2011, 12:23
Hello all,
Thanks again for all the help. On Sunday, I hope, I found my mistake. The driving ring of my Jobo CPE2 had hanged himself firmly, so I only had one turn, and no 1 3/4.
I´ll post here the results.

regards
Guenther

Fred L
15-Nov-2011, 12:38
terrific news Guenther !