PDA

View Full Version : Safelight question for Blue Sensitive Liquid Emulsions

DanK
8-Nov-2011, 20:17
Might someone shed some light on this...

I've been using Ag-Plus liquid emulsion, and have an old stock bottle of Kentmere I need to use pretty quick....

Supposedly they are both Blue sensitive...

The Ag-Plus recommends OC safelight or Red - I've always used OC with no ill effects...

The Kentmere recommends only a Red safelight....

If they are both sensitive only to blue, why would OC be ok for Ag Plus and not for Kentmere?

Probably a stupid question, but if they are both similar in sensitivity and iso - why the different safelight recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

dwross
9-Nov-2011, 08:39
I've never used Kentmere emulsion, but I'm guessing they are accounting for the exact sensitivity range of their formulation. ISO and spectral sensitivity aren't necessarily linked.

Red LED bulbs are pretty easy to come by. Might be smart to go with red. Hopefully, someone with real experience will give you a real answer, but in the meantime this is a pretty good little article:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/tl_safe_lights.php

DanK
9-Nov-2011, 23:01
ISO and spectral sensitivity aren't necessarily linked.

Thanks...Hadn't considered that, but it makes perfect sense now...

I have both Red and OC safelights set up, just more OC and prefer it for the space...used Red...

Thanks again,
Dan

Emil Schildt
10-Nov-2011, 07:38
I have used Kentmere (SE1) - Foma emulsion - Maco and so on.

I Always use red light. If not the papers turn grey rather quickly.

Some (Foma)papers react that way too, so I have eliminated all but red light in my darkroom.

DanK
10-Nov-2011, 17:36
I have used Kentmere (SE1) - Foma emulsion - Maco and so on.

I Always use red light. If not the papers turn grey rather quickly.

Some (Foma)papers react that way too, so I have eliminated all but red light in my darkroom.

Thanks

This was Kentmere Variable Contrast emulsion, and I was surprised at how thin it was compared to Ag-Plus...

Dan