PDA

View Full Version : New John Wimberley book. Check it out.

Robert Brummitt
7-Nov-2011, 18:02
Dear Friends,
It’s with great joy that I announce the publication of my new monograph. It contains the best of my work from 1970 until 1988 and is titled: “a metaphysic of Light.” Also included are a statement of how I photograph and a biography.
Please open the attached pdf file for more information. To open the file you’ll need Adobe Reader. If necessary it can be downloaded free from this link: http://get.adobe.com/reader/. Do order a copy soon, as it has received rave reviews and is sure to sell out quickly.
Sincerely,
John Wimberley
tjwimberley@charter.net
http:/www.johnwimberleyphotography.com

Eric Woodbury
7-Nov-2011, 20:55
Where is the link?

Merg Ross
7-Nov-2011, 21:01
Always a fan of John's work, congratulations! I look forward to seeing the book.

I had no luck with the link, or inclination to proceed.

Robert, thanks for posting.

Merg

Kirk Gittings
7-Nov-2011, 21:32
and the link is.........(drum roll)............

Robert Brummitt
7-Nov-2011, 22:23
a metaphysic of Light
photographs: 1970 - 1988 John Wimberley
Forty one years in the making, the long-awaited monograph of John Wimberley’s early work is finally available. Containing 69 photographs, many of which have never been exhibited, this beautifully designed and printed hardcover book is 13” x 11” in size with 80 pages. Publication will be limited to a single edition of 750 numbered and autographed copies. The first 50 copies comprise the “Collector’s Edition” and include a singed 13”x11” gelatin/silver print of Dunes and Horizontal Ripples, 1979.
a metaphysic of Light may be ordered directly from John Wimberley. Prices are as follows until Decem-ber 31, 2011:
Collector’s Edition (numbers 1-50) $225.00
Limited Edition (numbers 51-750) $120.00
After January 1, 2012:
Collector’s Edition (numbers 1-50) $250.00
Limited Edition (numbers 51-750) $140.00
Prices include postage and handling. Payment may be made by PayPal to tjwimberley@charter.net, or by sending a check to John Wimberley, 475 Ray Lane, Ashland, OR 97520 USA.
Published by Stone With Light Publishing, Ashland, OR, 97520 USA. Design by John Wimberley

Shailendra
7-Nov-2011, 22:37
a metaphysic of Light
photographs: 1970 - 1988 John Wimberley
Forty one years in the making, the long-awaited monograph of John Wimberley’s early work is finally available. Containing 69 photographs, many of which have never been exhibited, this beautifully designed and printed hardcover book is 13” x 11” in size with 80 pages. Publication will be limited to a single edition of 750 numbered and autographed copies. The first 50 copies comprise the “Collector’s Edition” and include a singed 13”x11” gelatin/silver print of Dunes and Horizontal Ripples, 1979.
a metaphysic of Light may be ordered directly from John Wimberley. Prices are as follows until Decem-ber 31, 2011:
Collector’s Edition (numbers 1-50) $225.00
Limited Edition (numbers 51-750) $120.00
After January 1, 2012:
Collector’s Edition (numbers 1-50) $250.00
Limited Edition (numbers 51-750) $140.00
Prices include postage and handling. Payment may be made by PayPal to tjwimberley@charter.net, or by sending a check to John Wimberley, 475 Ray Lane, Ashland, OR 97520 USA.
Published by Stone With Light Publishing, Ashland, OR, 97520 USA. Design by John Wimberley

Payment sent..

Robert Brummitt
9-Nov-2011, 07:05
I have had my copy of John's new book since mid October. It's a very, very fine book. A nice addition to my library. I wish I could show you what photographs are contained but best thing would direct you to John's website and see for yourself? It's john's greatest hits album. www.johnwimberleyphotography.com
John shared with me all the time he spent working on the book and it shows it. I would suggest you buy a copy, have a nice cup of coffee and sit and be quiet with the book and study all the wonderful prints there in. I think you'll agree.
What I also like to point out is this. This is John's first book of his photographs from a short range of time. This means there could be a second book and who knows a third book covering the rest of John's work!

h2oman
9-Nov-2011, 17:27
A little more information would be nice. Does the book include any of the "figurative" series, or are all images of the same nature as can be found in the "landscapes" gallery at his site?

I don't see how it could but help sales if at least a little bit more information was available. Perhaps you could encourage John to come up with a little bit more info about the overall nature of the images.

austin granger
9-Nov-2011, 20:50
Not too long ago, I saw a 16x20 print of "Landscape for Two Ravens" (see Wimberley's website) at the Lightbox Gallery in Astoria and I can tell you that it was a throughly humbling experience. An amazing picture amazingly printed.

Robert Brummitt
9-Nov-2011, 21:25
A little more information would be nice. Does the book include any of the "figurative" series, or are all images of the same nature as can be found in the "landscapes" gallery at his site?

I don't see how it could but help sales if at least a little bit more information was available. Perhaps you could encourage John to come up with a little bit more info about the overall nature of the images.

The book has five figure photographs. I will forward your request to John. I had asked him earlier today. He maybe out.

johnwimberley
9-Nov-2011, 22:29
My new book "a metaphysic of Light" does indeed contain the entire underwater figurative series I made in 1981-1982. Included are such images as "Descending Angel", "Realization of Anima", "The Gift of Power", "Surrender to the Light", etc. The book is divided into four sections and they are in the third, interspersed with landscape photographs. My intent was to present them as "anima mundi", that is, spirits of nature.
"a metaphysic of Light contains a total of 69 photographs, some of which have never been exhibited. It includes all of the landscapes from the period 1970-1988 for which I'm best known, plus a number never before seen. It was a wonderful (and educational!) experience to go back through thousands of negatives and select those for this book.
I worked full time for 4 months to tweak the image files for best possible reproduction and I think that was a very successful effort. This is an artist-designed, limited edition, signed and numbered monograph that is guaranteed to become a collectors' item. It is being introduced to the world later this month by Point Light Gallery in Sydney, Australia, who are honoring me with a major retrospective exhibition.
Please feel free to post any additional questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
Thank you for your interest,
John Wimberley

Darin Boville
9-Nov-2011, 22:39
I was about to ask you to post a jpeg of the collectors edition print--but then I googled and found this from your site:

http://www.johnwimberleyphotography.com/enlarge.php?image=JW-010

Is that the one you get for the fancy version?

--Darin

johnwimberley
10-Nov-2011, 07:50
Yes, that is the print. It is on archivally processed 14"x11" gelatin/silver paper, with my signature and numbered to match the book.
An interesting story about "Dunes and Horizontal Ripples, 1979, is that this image was used by computer programmers at George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic during the production of the Star Wars films. They put a print over their workstation as a perspective reference when creating computer generated imagery for the film.

h2oman
10-Nov-2011, 08:43
Thanks for the additional information, John.

ArtRosen
10-Nov-2011, 09:15
I was about to ask you to post a jpeg of the collectors edition print--but then I googled and found this from your site:

http://www.johnwimberleyphotography.com/enlarge.php?image=JW-010

Is that the one you get for the fancy version?

--Darin

wow....

breathtaking.

ghostcount
29-Nov-2011, 11:43
wow....

breathtaking.

I just got mine and the print is amazing!!! :eek:

Thanks John.

Brian K
29-Nov-2011, 13:13
Where's a link to the book itself? I want to see the images.....

Eric Woodbury
29-Nov-2011, 13:39
Brian, I couldn't find it either. I don't think it exists...the link that is.

ghostcount
29-Nov-2011, 15:39
Here's the link to the "a metaphysic of Light photographs: 1970 - 1988" in the book section on Wimberly's site...

http://www.johnwimberleyphotography.com/books.html

The Collector's edition includes the "Dunes and Horizontal Ripples". It's fantastic.

Robert Brummitt
30-Nov-2011, 08:13
Send the link to those who have you on their shopping list. Great gift idea!