PDA

View Full Version : Current film availability - a review

duff photographer
7-Nov-2011, 07:01
Howdo all,

This thread has been started based on a number of threads asking for information on film availability, and through my own research on finding a particular 8x10 film I was looking for. I don't think there is a similar thread here but my apologies if there is and I'm treading on toes.

I have provided an Excel spreadsheet as a download with all films ranging from 120 upwards in size that are currently being made and are commercially available. It intentionally excludes old stock of any discontinued film which may be held by a retailer.

The information has been gleaned from the websites of the film producers themselves (albeit the information varies in quality) and from major retailers of film.

I have given areas where the film is available - UK, US, Europe, Global and is in accordance with the information gleaned from websites based in those areas (all happen to be located in those areas). This is the one area where I foresee much amendment and correction. Nonetheless, anyone in the world should be able to order from any major film retailer in these countries/areas or from their own.

It is unlikely to be exhaustive so it would be good to correct and/or update this spreadsheet as and when more knowledgeable photographers have contributed to provide a 'one-stop for all'. You can PM me or post here if you can provide more information or correct what is already there. If you do, please ensure that, assuming you are not the film producer, you can back this information up with reference to the film manufacturer's current up-to-date website or similar source.

Being a large format forum I have obviosly excluded 35mm (so some manufacturers are excluded). The only information pertaining to film that I have provided is whether it is black-and-white, colour, infrared, or instant. I can provide processing type if people feel it would be useful but I don't want to over-complicate the spreadsheet.

I haven't gone into detail as to where the film can actually be obtained, i.e., from retailers. This can be done by web search or through posting here.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve.

ic-racer
7-Nov-2011, 07:20
FP5 should probably be HP5?

duff photographer
7-Nov-2011, 07:25
FP5 should probably be HP5?

Oops, spreadsheet amended and re-uploaded. Many thanks.

Nathan Potter
7-Nov-2011, 09:15
duff, very handy, thanks.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Richard K.
7-Nov-2011, 09:23
Thanks for this.:) Haven't read it all but I notice that Acros in 120 is listed for UK only? B&H carry it (and fairly cheap!).

duff photographer
7-Nov-2011, 16:25
Thanks for this.:) Haven't read it all but I notice that Acros in 120 is listed for UK only? B&H carry it (and fairly cheap!).

Thanks Richard. I went by the Fujifilm USA website which just listed 35mm but have just noticed that they only list 35mm anyway. As I said, some sites have better info' than others! I'll add it the amendment list.

I also see that B&H list a load of sheet film from Efke (read Adox in the spreadsheet) as well as Fuji. I shall amend this incredible oversight! With regard to Fuji I should be able to get some information next week very close to source as regard to what's still available and what is on its way out or in.

Would be interesting to know if B&H order from the manufacturer themselves (as they do in the UK). If so, then hypothetically all the films listed can be ordered in wherever there is a retailer big enough to order in bulk.

Steve.

jackpie
7-Nov-2011, 17:08
Wephota NP22 (100 asa) and NP15 (25 asa)

Black & white film in many sizes inc 2.25 x 3.25", half plate, ULF.

Available in Germany.

http://www.lumiere-shop.de (http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=330&xe466c=k2244bde0l073i5dovn5psc3p55d6f3a&next_page=1)

Oren Grad
7-Nov-2011, 18:04
Tri-X (TXP) is available from stock in 5x7 and 8x10 in the US. Also, check the Canham website for information on occasional special orders for various Kodak sheet films in a range of non-stock sizes.

r.e.
7-Nov-2011, 19:02
This is a great idea. Perhaps it could be made a sticky with occasional updates?

Robin876
8-Nov-2011, 02:44
Great thought you have use under your signature Richard K.

duff photographer
8-Nov-2011, 05:49
Thanks for the corrections and additions.

I have attached the first revised version (Nov11-1) of the Excel spreadsheet. This to replace the original. I haven't bothered to show what the exact revisions/additions were at this early stage as it'll be too much hassle; best to compare spreadsheets if one is so inclined. However, I have included data on Wephoto, added a few more areas where film is available, and added a few more Rollei films which I overlooked. I've also included the country of the film manufacturer.

It's still a work in progress and and some point I may well change the style of the presentation to make it easier to follow. I will also add ISO number at some point as it's not always clear from the film name what it is.

I'll leave the next revision until the end of this month (November 2011).

Cheers,
Steve.

edp
8-Nov-2011, 05:59
Wephota with an A. I don't know who coats it; is attributing it to Foma or Fotokemika more than just speculation? It comes in ORWO packaging.

duff photographer
8-Nov-2011, 06:30
Wephota with an A. I don't know who coats it; is attributing it to Foma or Fotokemika more than just speculation? It comes in ORWO packaging.

Thanks edp. Just managed to re-edit the post in time to correct the error. I have also removed the blurb as it's unlikely to be relevant anyway.

Cheers,
Steve.

Domingo A. Siliceo
8-Nov-2011, 07:03
Orwo (ORiginal WOlfen; Wolfen is a german village) has its own factory and it's made by Filmotec GmbH (http://www.filmotec.de/?cat=23&lang=en&lang=en).

Rollei RPX is Kentmere Film. If you want 35mm film, buy Kentmere; if you want rolls in 120 format, buy Rollei RPX. And you can buy it in all europe.

Helen Bach
8-Nov-2011, 08:45
I'm guessing that 'Tmax 320' is a typo for T-Max P3200 (an EI 3200 film - not ISO 3200, hence the 'P'). To the best of my knowledge it has never been available in anything other than 35 mm.

duff photographer
8-Nov-2011, 13:59
Thanks Domingo. I know of Orwo but as far as I'm aware after looking at their website a while back they don't do anything larger than 35mm but I stand to be corrected.

Helen. Yup, a typo and a brain slip all at the same time. TMax 3200 was not available in 120 or larger (at least not any more) so I've removed it from the spreadsheet. Thanks.

Steve.

Andrew O'Neill
8-Nov-2011, 18:31
So, why can't I open this file??

ROL
8-Nov-2011, 18:56
So, why can't I open this file??

Perhaps you have a Mac? It is a .xls (MS Excel spreadsheet), which will translate with macLink Plus if opened in AppleWorks.

ROL
8-Nov-2011, 19:06
Thanks for posting. However, looking down the equine oral cavity, I found the format a bit unfriendly. Perhaps the info could be restructured as a universally readable PDF file or a web page on your site?

FYI – I posted a not nearly as extensive article (Film (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/film)) some time ago on monochrome films of all formats I have personal experience with, including brief comments and examples where possible.

blevblev
8-Nov-2011, 22:13
If you have Numbers (part of the iWork office suite) on the Mac, it opens fine.

edp
8-Nov-2011, 23:09
Also with LibreOffice (formerly OpenOffice).

duff photographer
9-Nov-2011, 02:49
Thanks for posting. However, looking down the equine oral cavity, I found the format a bit unfriendly. Perhaps the info could be restructured as a universally readable PDF file or a web page on your site?

The reason it was posted as an Excel spreadsheet was that some of the information spilled out from the page boundaries. Making a pdf would cut off some of that information. However, I have rejigged the table and reduced the size of some of the font in places and have attached a revised pdf version, along with version Nov11-2 of the Excel spreadsheet.

Please note everyone that this is a working copy and the more complete version will be neater and more rational in layout.

Cheers,
Steve.

duff photographer
13-Nov-2011, 05:02
Howdo all again,

I have slowly been doing a bit more work collating data and have included Bergger and Ultrafine as well as few areas where film is available (I'll post update version Nov11-3 when the info' request below is confirmed).

Does anyone know if Gigabitfilm still do their 4"x5". The reason I ask is that their website is a bit naff and doesn't seem up-to-date, http://www.gigabitfilm.com/html/english/menu.htm.

By the way, the list of manufacturers that have stopped making film include at least Classicfilm, Forte, DNP and Konica while those who don't/didn't do anything larger than 35 mm include Kentmere, Lucky, Ferrania and Mitisubishi.

Ta.
Steve.

neil poulsen
13-Nov-2011, 09:40
What an excellent idea!

It mystifies my why Fuji Pro 160 isn't available in this country, when it's available in both the UK and Germany. Does anyone know why this is the case?

duff photographer
13-Nov-2011, 16:50
It mystifies my why Fuji Pro 160 isn't available in this country, when it's available in both the UK and Germany. Does anyone know why this is the case?

Certainly 120 rollfilm is available and after talking to a Fuji rep' recently, sheet film is also available if requested, at least in theory. It's my (feeble) guess that it's up to the retailer to decide whether it's economically viable to order any in but I stand to be shot down in flames on that one. I'm sure there's a market for it though.

Steve.

duff photographer
13-Nov-2011, 17:12
Howdo all,

After a little further investigation it appears that Gigabitfilm is no longer produced although I cannot find official word on that anywhere. Judging by the poor state of their website I'm pretty sure they're defunct.

I have rejigged the spreadsheet and converted it into a pdf which Macs as well as PC's should recognise.

Any suggestions for amendments will be greatly appreciated as usual.

I should also state once more that films may be available in a country through their distributor even though it may not be carried by any retailers. Fuji and Kodak are examples. Anyone can, of course, order in from overseas if needs be - most retailers will post abroad, at a price.

Cheers,
Steve

bluejeh
14-Nov-2011, 10:40
Hi Steve
I've been looking for something like this for our Darkroom Group. The information is really helpful and I know it took some work to do this. Thanks. J.

Armin Seeholzer
14-Nov-2011, 12:49
Hi Steve

Would it not make sence to put also Japan on the list, as far as I know even Quickloads are still there in Japan!
Just have a look here: http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=196

Cheers Armin

duff photographer
14-Nov-2011, 16:23
Thanks bluejeh- glad it's been useful.

-------

Armin. I agree. I always felt it looked a little imbalanced without an Asian representative, i.e., Japan.

Meanwhile, much of what is available in Japan I've put under 'Global' as even the Quickloads can still be ordered in, at least in the UK, as a bulk order; this being the most economical means for retailers as opposed to buying in on spec'.

Nonetheless, I'll add a 'J' for film only available for Japan. Thanks for giving me a nudge. Expect the update in a week or two's time.

...and I ought to include a footnote for Quickloads in the list.

Cheers,
Steve.

Armin Seeholzer
14-Nov-2011, 17:05
Thanks for your work, Armin