PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Still Own an 8x16?

Richard K.
5-Nov-2011, 19:34
Should never have sold this camera (Phillips 8x16)! :mad:

Does anybody still have one of these? Where do you get your film??

Daniel Stone
5-Nov-2011, 19:39
interesting format...

Was it formerly a size that was used commercially(like in the 40's or 50's, or earlier?), or is it one of those "homebrew" sizes for rich fellows with DEEEEEEP pockets :D?

I've enlarged 6x12 negatives(b/w and color) to 8"x16", and it was plenty sharp for ME, but I guess if you want to contact print, that's a different story...

-Dan

Richard K.
5-Nov-2011, 19:58
Dick Phillips made a half dozen or so of these and also arranged for a pile of Tri-X film for the format. I imagine that that was used up years ago. I suppose one could cut 8x20 but I'm wondering what actual 8x16 owners are doing for film now.

Here's one of my 8x16 Platinum prints - Holland Marsh, Ontario (sorry about the skewed angle, otherwise the flash would be dead center!) on my wall:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/8x16.jpg

BarryS
5-Nov-2011, 21:04
I was at a local art fair recently and was surprised to see a photographer (Joel Anderson) displaying beautiful 8x16 contact prints. Looked up his blog and found out he bought Dick Phillips (personal I think) 8x16 along with 12 (!) holders. He likely bought Dick's film stash as well.

Daniel Stone
5-Nov-2011, 23:53
I was at a local art fair recently and was surprised to see a photographer (Joel Anderson) displaying beautiful 8x16 contact prints. Looked up his blog and found out he bought Dick Phillips (personal I think) 8x16 along with 12 (!) holders. He likely bought Dick's film stash as well.

http://joelandersonphotography.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/new-photo-jekyll-island/

Picture of the camera "in action"
http://joelandersonphotography.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/photo-mar-23-5-48-56-pm.jpg

-Dan

Richard K.
6-Nov-2011, 06:45
Daniel, to actually answer your questions...

interesting format...

Yes!

Was it formerly a size that was used commercially(like in the 40's or 50's, or earlier?)

Not as far as I know. I don't think so.

or is it one of those "homebrew" sizes for rich fellows with DEEEEEEP pockets :D?

VERY few of these around. Not too many made (around 20 I think). It's for people (like me) that find the 8x20 proportion just too stretched. One can deepen one's pockets (for worthy acquisitions) if committed enough...:rolleyes: :) I wish someone who owns one would answer my question re film!

I've enlarged 6x12 negatives(b/w and color) to 8"x16", and it was plenty sharp for ME, but I guess if you want to contact print, that's a different story...

-Dan

It's not just about sharpness. People like the big negs to make direct contact prints in silver (Azo for example) or in a variety of alternative processes, platinum/palladium most commonly. Once you've made a biggish contact print on fine paper with a beautiful alt process, you'll see what I mean. (not to say that you haven't!)

Sal Santamaura
6-Nov-2011, 09:14
...is it one of those "homebrew" sizes for rich fellows with DEEEEEEP pockets...

...It's for people (like me) that find the 8x20 proportion just too stretched...
Actually, Dick developed the format for himself. It was his answer to 7x17, which he felt was too elongated. 8x16 was his own personal 'Goldilocks' format.

Michael Roberts
6-Nov-2011, 11:20
Richard,
You just need to trade your 10x12 up to 11x14 and use a 7x14 reducing back;)

Or have Chamonix make you an 8x16....

Having a hard time settling down with three formats? Need to keep experimenting? No harm in that!

Richard K.
6-Nov-2011, 12:30
Richard,
You just need to trade your 10x12 up to 11x14 and use a 7x14 reducing back;)

Or have Chamonix make you an 8x16....

Having a hard time settling down with three formats? Need to keep experimenting? No harm in that!

:) No I'm pretty happy with 10x12, that's all I'm using now. I've sold everything else, including my WP. I got a couple of reducing backs for it but I don't see using them much. The 8x16 is a format I really liked and I was probably too hasty in selling it. But no, I'm good now, no more experimenting. I should come clean and admit acquiring a Mamiya 7 II for when, you know.... but for now it's 10x12 all the way...um...unless an 8x16 falls into my hands...:rolleyes: No, no I really like 10x12!!

Uncle Jim
6-Nov-2011, 12:52
Hi Richard,

I have a 8.5 x 15 that I bought from a fellow in India. I have been experimenting with paper negatives in it, but plan on using X-ray film shortly. It will take half of a 14 x 17 piece of X-ray film. If you locate a 8 x 16 You could use the same thing in it for a slightly reduced format. Also 14 x 17 is a lovely format.

uncle jim