PDA

View Full Version : Atacama Desert

EdWorkman
4-Nov-2011, 09:14
I am considering a trip .
The thought of searing contrast didn't faze me for B&W, but then what happens to transparencies? I wonder that my Mojave experience will not suffice.
Will a UV filter keep the the exposures to just a matter of contrast concern, or will the thin, clean air and sky get me overexposed from UV- or was that just years ago?
Say 4000 ft up and up from that? gasp.
Any other advice is appreciated as well, but I don't plan on carrying a raincoat.
Antofagasta, Tocopilla, Calama?
Thanks a load
Ed

Scott Davis
4-Nov-2011, 12:34
UV filter, good compendium lens hood, and sunscreen. Don't forget the sunscreen. And shoot early and late in the day. Maybe a graduated neutral density filter as well, to help manage the foreground/sky contrast.

Jon Warwick
5-Nov-2011, 03:35
My personal view is that San Pedro de Atacama is perhaps the best base from where to start. It is approx 2 hours from Calama. From San Pedro, you have day-trip access to some of the most spectacular scenary imaginable, including the Valle de la Luna, the Tatio geysers, and into Bolivia to see the Laguna Verde and Laguna Colorada. By the way, when you wrote 4000 feet gasp, you probably mean 4,000 meters ....... Nearer to 12,000-13,000 feet.

EdWorkman
5-Nov-2011, 08:21
Thanks guys
I saw a San Pedro website- made it look too spa-ish- but I'll look deeper.
Calama seemed to be the airport to get to San Pedro- any advice for Calama?
As for feet vs meters, I did mean feet and LOTS up from there, figuring the air at 1300 metres would be sufficiently high and dry to start exposure problems, if any.
regards
Ed

Nathan Potter
5-Nov-2011, 09:19
I'll add to Scotts advice by saying that area is frightfully dry and dusty; almost as bad as TX. this year. If you could use Quickloads you would be in good shape for dust control. Also watch out for static charge - pull dark slides slowly.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.