PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic questions - 4x5

Steve Goldstein
4-Nov-2011, 07:19
First question - According to the documents I found on the bristolviews web site, when loading one is supposed to push in the small sliding plate by the end of the felt strip. I believe this is the counter slide, #26 on the exploded view. This slide latches in place on one of my recently-acquired Grafmatics, but not on the other. Any ideas as to the degree of difficulty of repairing this?

Second question - How difficult is it to remove the counter wheel that projects numbers onto the film? I'm relatively new to Grafmatics and haven't yet decided if I want to keep this. If I do choose to remove it, I'd ideally like to do so in a non-destructive manner so it can be replaced when I'm too old and decrepit to haul around a 4x5 any longer.

Thanks!

BarryS
4-Nov-2011, 07:36
Grafmatics aren't that complicated, so if you have all the parts and they aren't broken--it should be fixable. The counter wheels are very easy to remove and replace--the trick will be not losing them over the years.

Bill Burk
4-Nov-2011, 08:06
First question - According to the documents I found on the bristolviews web site, when loading one is supposed to push in the small sliding plate by the end of the felt strip.

They are talking about the sliding plate that covers the red dot (that indicates whether film is in position ready for exposure, or covered so holder can be removed from camera.)

I've never had to think about it because it has always been where it belongs.

Same site has a service manual if you want to get into it...

The counter wheel often interferes with my landscape compositions, (for example I want to show one more tree-top) so you should make a decision quickly whether you want the wheel or not -- before you ruin any pictures.

On the plus side, it helps you verify your notes against your negatives proving when a picture was taken, or that the subject is what you remember.

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2011, 10:20
The counter wheel often interferes with my landscape compositions, ...

question -- how far into the image area does the number go?

Bill Burk
4-Nov-2011, 10:47
question -- how far into the image area does the number go?

Enough to go into the picture.

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/u10piranhas2.jpg

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2011, 11:05
Thanks, Bill... that really answered my question!

Neal Wydra
4-Nov-2011, 12:44
Dear Steve,

A tidbit of advice on using Graphmatics. Make sure the camera is relatively level when indexing. Indexing while pointing down has caused me all sorts of issues.

Neal Wydra

Greg Blank
4-Nov-2011, 15:06
Enough to go into the picture.

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/u10piranhas2.jpg

I liked the action but was compelled to edit :)

http://www.gbphotoworks.com/lfimages/u10piranhas2.jpg

Bill Burk
4-Nov-2011, 18:42
Thanks Greg,

I like what you've done.

Now I'm going to have to get some of that Grade 4 Galerie...

Neal,

If you bend the springs a bit, a Grafmatic can overcome gravity and snap the septum upwards. I had the problem you described and without tools I was able to fix it. But I did have to replace the bent septums and cringe every time I think about the gouged film.