PDA

View Full Version : Advice purchasing off of CraigsList

false_Aesthetic
3-Nov-2011, 16:53
Hey,

I've been speaking to the dude in New Jersey. I'm interested in purchasing some gear he had listed on Craigslist.

Unfortunately I'm in Los Angeles and none of my east coast friends are really close by this guy (closest friend is still about 80 miles away).

Is there a way to complete the transaction so that neither one of us gets screwed?

Thanks

Peter De Smidt
3-Nov-2011, 17:02
Not unless there's someone you trust who could go look at it. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

cdholden
3-Nov-2011, 17:02
The same way you buy something from any forum online: you pay, he ships. If he doesn't ship, you drive cross-country and rip out his toenails with a pair of pliers. You could also visit the swamps in NJ and see how the pros do it.
Plan B: Go on vacation to NY/NJ and buy it in person. If he doesn't show, you can still have a good time and are only out the time you waited for the no-show.

johnielvis
3-Nov-2011, 18:38
you're defeating the purpose of craigslist

it's SUPPOSED to be local...

most stuff on craigslist is either very very good or very very VERY bad...like much worse than any of the worst rip off artists would even consider selling

BarryS
3-Nov-2011, 20:58
I've gotten some good deals on CL at the expense of a lot of wasted time and sales that don't pan out for a myriad of reasons--no-shows, selling to someone else after committing to holding the item, refuse-grade equipment, price changes. I've tried a couple non-local CL deals and they were difficult. For all the problems on eBay--they have pretty decent buyer protection.

lenser
4-Nov-2011, 03:17
If he also sells on the bay, you might get his id from there and check his feedback. If good, feel more secure, but I suppose he could always lie and give you the name of someone else who does have good feedback. In any case good luck.

I've been fortunate in local Craig's list purchases, but long long distance is obviously less secure.

cowanw
4-Nov-2011, 05:07
I bought my first Kodak 2D 8x10 and a Cooke portrait lens from a women in New Jersey. I am in Canada.
She was worried about money orders from Canada. I had your concerns.
You just have to have faith in people.

SamReeves
4-Nov-2011, 08:23
Check the serials with the PD to determine if the camera is still hot! ;)

DaveAlbano
4-Nov-2011, 18:49
Use PayPal. I think might cover you. When I buy I always ask the seller to request funds to my PP account including description and where it was advertised. If no PP account or unwilling to ask for funds, I'd stead clear. Ask PP if they cover non-eBay transactions up to 2000.

Fred L
5-Nov-2011, 06:32
Personally, unless I knew someone in that city or locale, I'd skip the deal. Not worth the headaches and buying off da bay would be preferable to this.

tgtaylor
5-Nov-2011, 08:06
Well now you could hire a local courier with a digital camera to go over and shoot the gear and transmit the photo's to you over the web while he is there and if it looks good to you have him pick it up and ship it. Gonna cost that way!

Thomas

Kevin Crisp
5-Nov-2011, 08:35
Don't do it without someone local. Fraud is rampant on CL and some of the fraud is sophisticated.

c.d.ewen
5-Nov-2011, 09:19
Where in New Jersey?

Charley

Linn T.
5-Nov-2011, 10:03
FWIW, I have purchased several photography items (among other things) from individuals long distance off Craigslist. I have had pretty good luck so far. The items I have purchased usually end up not being items that have a big market, so seller has been willing to work with me. I have used Paypal to pay and usually spend some time on the phone talking to the seller and request lots of pictures. If I get a bad feeling about how the seller is representing the items, how he acquired them, or the life story of the seller, I walk away from the deal. I have found most people are pretty honest and most con artists are selling Iphones and other high demand items, not things they have a hard time marketing. Of course I have now probably just jinxed myself.

false_Aesthetic
6-Nov-2011, 11:10
Where in New Jersey?

Charley

Clinton area.