PDA

View Full Version : Adapter for Graflex lensboard

boris
3-Nov-2011, 12:56
I have a Linhof Technika 5x7 with an adapter for technika 4x5 boards. till now i use smaller lenses in technika 4x5 lensboards. so far so good.
Now i decided to convert my toyo metal field into a 5x7. the toyo uses graflex bords. Now, i would like to mount all my lenses into the graflex boards. as far as i know no adapter was made from linhof, so i have to make it myself...

i know that toyo made an adapter for the graflex board and i think that calumet did one too.
for an easy conversion it is best to have a flat adapter ( i just trim it to the right size and fix it with 4 bolts to a linhof 5x7 lens board ). as far as know the toyo isn't flat on the rear side, don't know about the calumet.

what i would like to know is: who made an adapter for the graflex 4x5 with a flat rear side.

thanks, boris

jackpie
3-Nov-2011, 16:06
A Pacemaker Speed or Crown Graphic front standard can be bolted to a sinar board to make a great adapter. I've done it but I don't know if it would fit on a 5x7 Technika board.

Graphic View to Pacemaker Graphic board adapters are also common. The Graphic View board is 4" square with a light trap ridge on the back. The light trap can be rebated into a larger board. I've done it into an Arca board. These adapters work well with small lenses, but the clip snags larger shutters, like Betax 4 and 5, not sure about Copal 3.

There are also Toyo brand Toyo View 158mm to Graphic adapters that are nice steel Graphic adapters bolted to the aluminium Toyo board. These are easy to fit to other boards.

The reason I know about this is because I am also a Toyo Field Half Plate user.

banjo
3-Nov-2011, 16:28
there are 2 kinds of Graflex lens boards
BUT I have done on some is get the lens standered off of an old speed & just screw it to the board of the camera that I need to use it on. I use black Velet between the two

boris
4-Nov-2011, 05:00
A Pacemaker Speed or Crown Graphic front standard can be bolted to a sinar board to make a great adapter. I've done it but I don't know if it would fit on a 5x7 Technika board.
the linhof 5x7 lensboard is smaller and the locking mechanic eat at least 1,5 cm from the 13cm square . don't think it is possible :confused:

Graphic View to Pacemaker Graphic board adapters are also common. The Graphic View board is 4" square with a light trap ridge on the back. The light trap can be rebated into a larger board. I've done it into an Arca board. These adapters work well with small lenses, but the clip snags larger shutters, like Betax 4 and 5, not sure about Copal 3
i am not sure if i understood... i will add an attachement of what i belive to be a "Pacemaker Graphic board adapter"
if i found the right picture it will not work with the linhof 5x7:( the locking device will need too much space in the the front standart.

There are also Toyo brand Toyo View 158mm to Graphic adapters that are nice steel Graphic adapters bolted to the aluminium Toyo board. These are easy to fit to other boards.
do you have a picture of this one?

thanks, boris

jackpie
4-Nov-2011, 12:03
I've thought of another adapter that might work, the Rittreck to Pacemaker Graphic adapter. However I don't like mine much because the Graphic boards don't fit so well. They always seem to become loose. Also the Rittreck is larger than a Graphic View board.

Boris, your photo of the Graphic View to Pacemaker Graphic adapter is the one I was suggesting. I'm not familiar with the front standard of your Technika 5x7, but I wonder if you had a spacer plate between the board and the adapter it might leave room for the locking slides or mechanism.

I'll find the Toyo adapter and post some photos later.

boris
4-Nov-2011, 12:52
I'm not familiar with the front standard of your Technika 5x7, but I wonder if you had a spacer plate between the board and the adapter it might leave room for the locking slides or mechanism.a spacer could resolve the problem but it is ugly :) i would prefer a neat solution.
waiting to see your toyo lensboard adapter.
boris

jackpie
4-Nov-2011, 18:56
waiting to see your toyo lensboard adapter.

The steel Graphic adapter is attached from the back by 10 small screws to the aluminium board. It can easily be removed but does have a raised light trap baffle that fits into the cut out on the Toyo board.

boris
5-Nov-2011, 05:08
o.k i see... but need still some help :o
could you please measure the dimensiones of the graphic steel adapter? the linhof board ist just about 129 mm square, so not much space will be left to play with
where from can i get a steel graphic adapter? what was it made for? is the rear side flat?
thank you, boris

jackpie
5-Nov-2011, 06:27
I've disassembled the Toyo Graphic Adapter.

I now see that the Graphic part isn't made of steel, it's a die cast alloy. It measures 122mm wide x 117mm high. The back sits flat on the Toyo board, but there is a 1mm raised lip around the centre, that fits inside the hole in the Toyo board and acts as a light trap.

I've also had a look at the adapter I made from a Graphic front standard. The Graphic lens holder that I attached to a Sinar board is only 110mm wide x 112mm high.

boris
5-Nov-2011, 11:50
two days ago a was a total ignorant, but now i beginning to see the light.
thank you very much !!!
boris

Misko
26-Aug-2013, 02:20
Not the question is - where to find a Graplex Front Standard?

Liquid Artist
26-Aug-2013, 06:19
I am having 2 Graflex lens boards made up at this very moment, by a company in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, using jets of water to cut all the metal. One of them is supposed to be recessed, although I really can't say how that one will turn out.
If anyone would like, I could pass along their number.
Just the 2 is honestly quite expensive, at around $150.00. However they may drop your price while they are set up making mine.

I would avoid getting them to make a recessed board, until after mine is completed. Just because I haven't the faintest idea how it will turn out.

Dan Fromm
26-Aug-2013, 08:39
LA, are your Graflex boards for a Graflex SLR or a Graphic (made by Graflex) press camera?

I ask because Graflex SLRs use wood boards, as do older (pre-1946) Graphic press cameras. Later Graphic press cameras (Pacemaker Graphics, in Crown and Speed flavors, 1947-on) use metal boards.

The wood boards aren't difficult DIY projects, the metal boards are stock items at a number of camera stores etc., for example mpex.com and skgrimes.com

Graflex never offered recessed boards for Graflex SLRs or Graphic press cameras. None for the SLRs because there are no lenses that can use them to advantage and none for the press cameras because it isn't all that necessary. 4x5 Crown Graphics' minimum extension is 52.4 mm, 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphics' (these are the later ones with flat boards) is 66.4 mm.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Liquid Artist
26-Aug-2013, 14:04
Thanks Dan,
My camera is the Graphic View #1, so it's the metal board alright.
The reason I want the recessed board is because I also use the boards on me Calumet, which can't quite hit infinity with my 90mm.

The camera stores I've found in Canada have problems getting their hands on any large format gear. Plus by the time I bring it up from the US stores I've almost paid the same price as getting the items machined.So I figured that I would just try this machine shop, and see what they can do this time.
Besides, I may be building up a classic car soon, so I want to check out their craftsmanship

Jon Shiu
26-Aug-2013, 14:09
Not the question is - where to find a Graplex Front Standard?

I may have a Crown/Speed Front Standard, if that is what looking for.

Jon