PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Bulbs For LPL 4500

rcjtapio
2-Nov-2011, 19:30
I am wanting to buy a couple backup replacement bulbs for my LPL 4500II enlarger that has the VCCE head.

The spare bulb that came with the enlarger has this number:

JER 82V200W

I also have a spec sheet for the enlarger that has this number for the recommended bulb:

200W, 82V Quartz Halogen (EYA)

I read somewhere that the difference was in the reflector...one smooth & one textured?

So here are my questions for all you LPL users:

1. What number bulb are you using?
2. Where are you purchasing your replacement bulbs?
3. What's the difference between a JER and EYA bulb?
4. Is either one better?

I also read that Office Max may carry something similiar (for ~$7-$20) and that camera stores have them for $50+....big difference.

Rick Tapio

Oren Grad
2-Nov-2011, 20:16
I've bought my EYA bulbs from B&H. They list the Omega-branded one for $53.95, but also offer that type under the Eiko brand for $24.50 and under the Ushio brand for $19.95.

The spare EYA that I have in my darkroom cabinet right now is an Eiko brand bulb. I also have Ushio-branded bulbs on hand in other bulb types needed by other lighting products that I use. No need to spend $54 for a bulb.

Leigh
2-Nov-2011, 20:52
There appear to be a number of different bulbs that use the JER designation.

The EYA is available through Amazon.com at prices from $7 to $27.

I usually buy Eiko, Philips, or GE bulbs, as being the most reliable, but there are other good brands.

- Leigh

banjo
3-Nov-2011, 10:59
will I can't help much as I buy bulbs from

http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=photo

but they don't list EYA

but they have good prices on of there bulbs

John Powers
3-Nov-2011, 11:40
As mentioned on the other forum, take a good look at why you need a replacement bulb. My VCCE blew a 250w bulb when I tried to block the light leaks in the heat relief path with black tape. I solved this by drilling out the top of a paint spray can lid and directing the light leaks off to a flat black wall. No blown bulbs for the two years until I moved up in formats to another enlarger (Durst 138 converted to 8x10).

John

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2011, 12:01
My GE catalog describes an EYA as 200W, 82V, 2" diameter, dichroic reflector, MR16 type, oval base 2 pin, CC-8 filament design, 50 hour life, 1.75" total length, 3300K color temp.

My Bulbman catalog describes an EYA as 200W, 82V, GY5.3 base, MR16 type, 50 hour life, 3300K. It shows the 4500 as using an EYA lamp.It does not list any substitute for an EYA.

My Bulb Direct catalog shows an EYA as 200W, 82V

EYA, as well as the other 3 letter bulb codes, is an ANSI code. All EYA bulbs will be the same. If you search you will find ANSI to imported conversion charts. These will tell you which imported lamp is the same as an EYA, if there are any, which there should be since you have a Japanese enlarger.

But no where was there an indication of a different reflector type for an EYA as that would be a bulb with a different 3 letter code.

rcjtapio
3-Nov-2011, 12:54
Thanks for all the information everyone!

So I found the ANSI specs at:

http://cn.100y.com.tw/pdf_file/FUJILAMP-EXR-82V300W.PDF

and it appears that the JER and the EYA have the same specs so either bulb should be fine with the LPL enlarger.

I called a big lighting store in my area & they do not carry that bulb. I read somewhere that an office supply store may carry them as part of their projection equipment supplies. I will let you know if I find any at Office Max.

It's also amazing that the prices are so different through the camera stores.

Rick Tapio

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2011, 13:04
Thanks for all the information everyone!

So I found the ANSI specs at:

http://cn.100y.com.tw/pdf_file/FUJILAMP-EXR-82V300W.PDF

and it appears that the JER and the EYA have the same specs so either bulb should be fine with the LPL enlarger.

I called a big lighting store in my area & they do not carry that bulb. I read somewhere that an office supply store may carry them as part of their projection equipment supplies. I will let you know if I find any at Office Max.

It's also amazing that the prices are so different through the camera stores.

Rick Tapio

Just go online and order from Bulb Direct or Bulbman. The catalogs listed them specifically as enlarger bulbs but they could have been adapted perhaps for digital projectors. But the one for the little Canon projector we have is very different from an enlarger bulb and costs over $400.00!

Here are the specs on a JER:

Watts 250
Volts 24
Base Type GX5.3 (2-Pin, Round Pins)
Bulb Type MR-16
Rated Average Life 50 hrs
Color Temperature 3400 K

Since an EYA is 82V and a JER is 24V they are not interchangeable. The 24V will blow out in an 82V circuit.

rcjtapio
3-Nov-2011, 15:04
hmmmm...this gets more confusing....

the bulb box that came with my LPL from the factory has these numbers stamped on the box:

JER
82V200W

That makes it sound like the JER is 82 volts?

Rick

Leigh
3-Nov-2011, 15:26
That makes it sound like the JER is 82 volts?
No.

The JER designation does not identify one single bulb. I don't know what it means. It's probably a Japanese designation.

There are several bulbs that use the JER designation, including at least 24V/250W, 82V/85W, and 82V/200W variants.

EYA is the ANSI designation for the bulb in question. I _think_ all ANSI lamp designators begin with 'E', but don't quote me.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2011, 15:38
No.

The JER designation does not identify one single bulb. I don't know what it means. It's probably a Japanese designation.

There are several bulbs that use the JER designation, including at least 24V/250W, 82V/85W, and 82V/200W variants.

EYA is the ANSI designation for the bulb in question. I _think_ all ANSI lamp designators begin with 'E', but don't quote me.

- Leigh

Not all. There are bulbs that start with C and D as well as well as some other letters. But EYA is the bulb the OP needs.

rcjtapio
4-Nov-2011, 07:09
Thanks again!!! I will stick with the EYA. As I researched the EYA last night for pricing, I noticed that there was at least 3 different surfaces in the reflector part...smooth, pebbled & little squares. I suppose that probably doesn't make any difference since the light all gets diffused anyway, but the pebble texture is what came with the enlarger. I probably will stick with that surface.

The EYA is available through lots of websites, a few that are already mentioned above. The pricing ranges from ~$12 to $24, with $16-$18 being about average. Of course, the higher pricing came from the photo sources. Then there is the Omega brand which is over $50.00.

Rick