PDA

View Full Version : Hama Rubber Lens Hoods

wiggywag
2-Nov-2011, 13:42
Hi!

Im looking to buy Hama Rubber Lens Hoods for my LF lenses.

For my 210mm and 600mm this would fit:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90020-REG/Hama_HA_929_67_67mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html

For my 300 and 450:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90013-REG/Hama_HA_929_52_52mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html

Will these work well with 4x5 and 8x10 camera?

Thanks for helping :-)

Ari
2-Nov-2011, 17:48
I have one for my 210 and it works well.
I rarely use it, though.

Doremus Scudder
3-Nov-2011, 02:40
The problem with fixed lens hoods and LF is that you can easily vignette when using any movements. If you never use movements, then fine. If so, then you need to be careful of vignetting. You can always remove the hood when movements interfere.

If you use a shorter lens hood than optimum to avoid vignetting when using movements, then you are defeating the purpose of using a lens hood in the first place to a certain degree. Often, however, it is only necessary to keep the light source out of the lens' field of view.

A compendium bellows is the "proper" solution, but often unwieldy in the field. If you can find one of the old Voss gel filter holders with the adjustable barn doors, this is a good solution for field use (what I use).

Of course, there's always your hat or the darkslide, both acceptable solutions, but also likely to vignette if you're not careful :-)

Best,

Doremus Scudder

wiggywag
3-Nov-2011, 07:35
The problem with fixed lens hoods and LF is that you can easily vignette when using any movements. If you never use movements, then fine. If so, then you need to be careful of vignetting. You can always remove the hood when movements interfere.

If you use a shorter lens hood than optimum to avoid vignetting when using movements, then you are defeating the purpose of using a lens hood in the first place to a certain degree. Often, however, it is only necessary to keep the light source out of the lens' field of view.

A compendium bellows is the "proper" solution, but often unwieldy in the field. If you can find one of the old Voss gel filter holders with the adjustable barn doors, this is a good solution for field use (what I use).

Of course, there's always your hat or the darkslide, both acceptable solutions, but also likely to vignette if you're not careful :-)

Best,

Doremus Scudder

The Voss Gel filter holder looks interesting :-) Will check it out!

Doremus Scudder
4-Nov-2011, 02:31
Wiggywag,

Yes, the Voss is a good compromise for field work. Unfortunately, they are getting harder to come by on the used market. Be sure to get the one with the barn doors (there's one without too). Good luck finding one, I keep looking for a spare and have had no luck lately.

Best,

Doremus