PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 5x7 2 2D .. taking it apart

Richard Raymond
2-Nov-2011, 10:08
I have a Kodak 5x7 2 that was painted and needs to be stripped and refinished. Any hints on taking it apart? Also, it looks like the bellows are on a frame that is just screwed into the front and back of the camera ... is this correct? What is the best way of taking the tracks out of the grooves or should I just clean them in place?
Thanks for your advice.
Ric

Ken Lee
2-Nov-2011, 10:57
I have a Kodak 5x7 2 that was painted and needs to be stripped and refinished. Any hints on taking it apart? Also, it looks like the bellows are on a frame that is just screwed into the front and back of the camera ... is this correct? What is the best way of taking the tracks out of the grooves or should I just clean them in place?
Thanks for your advice.
Ric

Richard Ritter did some excellent restoration to my 5x7 2D. You could ask him. He's a great guy and he's in Vermont :-)

Jon Shiu
2-Nov-2011, 11:08
Yes, the bellows frames are easily unscrewed to remove the bellows. The tracks are fastened down with small pins/nails that you can see between the teeth.

Jon

Richard Raymond
2-Nov-2011, 13:55
Ken,
Thanks... but Vermont?? I thought Vermont was Closed :) We just got our power back from the last storm so New Hampshire isn't doing much better, I guess.

Jon,
Thanks. Do I just grab the rail with pliers and pull out or do I start at one end and gently pry the rail out?

Thanks
Ric

Jon Shiu
2-Nov-2011, 14:17
I have not taken the gear tracks out, but have noticed the pins, which are in the holes every few inches, sometimes come up. I personally would not take the tracks out, but careful prying would probably do it. Also, this is from experience with 8x10 2D, so 5x7 might be different.

Jon

Jim Michael
2-Nov-2011, 14:59
If there is an old time hardware store in your area they probably have those brass screws if any need to be replaced, and they should have those brads/nails.

I think I stripped my 2D with Formbys after taking it apart. I gave it several coats of tung oil, buffing with steel wool between applications. That's held up very well ca. 20 years.

goamules
2-Nov-2011, 15:30
Thanks for your advice.
Ric

I started stripping a 2D once. Just once....if your paint is as solid as mine it was quite a chore. I used gel type paint stripper. I left the tracks in place, and the cracks beside them are where a lot of paint remains. I'd like to know how to get all the paint out of the wood pores too, without sanding down to that level. The paint there will show after you finish it if you don't remove it.

Ken Lee
2-Nov-2011, 16:37
Ken,
Thanks... but Vermont?? I thought Vermont was Closed :) We just got our power back from the last storm so New Hampshire isn't doing much better, I guess.

Where I am in MA, we have no power and won't have it for at least another day. I'm doing this on an iPhone.

ic-racer
2-Nov-2011, 18:18
You may find some useful info in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29267

Richard Raymond
3-Nov-2011, 04:31
Ken,
I hope that you get power back soon. In these kinds of outages I keep learning more about how much my daily routine is tied to the grid and internet.

Folks,
Thanks for your advice. I read the posts you recommended. Looks like I will start with taking the bellows out. Then I will start removing the brass and get down to the wood parts. From there it looks like stripping the paint and refinishing.
I am going to the John Sexton lecture tonight. Folks from the group who are also attending have graciously offered to look at the camera and make some recommendations.
I will take photos of the process and post as I go along.
Continued advice is always welcome.
Best regards,
Ric

Tracy Storer
3-Nov-2011, 08:40
I would suggest that if the camera is mechanically sound, that you live with it. Removing the gear racks is a LOT easier than getting them back in perfectly aligned. In my opinion, most amateur refinishing jobs do more harm than good.
My two cents.
Peace,
T

Richard Raymond
3-Nov-2011, 09:53
The gears on the rear box of the camera are misaligned with the tracks on each side causing the brass sliders to jam in the groove. How do I get this back into alignment? Can I do it by loosening one side of the box and lifting the gear on that side or is this a "take it all apart job"?
Thanks
Ric

Jon Shiu
3-Nov-2011, 09:59
The gears on the rear box of the camera are misaligned with the tracks on each side causing the brass sliders to jam in the groove. How do I get this back into alignment? Can I do it by loosening one side of the box and lifting the gear on that side or is this a "take it all apart job"?
Thanks
Ric

You can slide the rear standard off the tripod mounting base. Need to push down on the spring loaded stop.

Jon

Tracy Storer
3-Nov-2011, 10:15
As Jon says, carefully roll the rear standard off the rail, noting when the gears disengage the rack on each side, then it'll be a bit clearer when you re-engage the gears with the racks. It may take a couple attempts to get them lined up just right. Hopefully the gears are firmly attached to the shaft, if they are spinning or wiggle at all, things tend to get rather chewed up.
If you've got offers from more experienced folks to look at it tonight at the Sexton lecture, one of them may be able to do it very handily on the spot.

Richard Raymond
3-Nov-2011, 10:35
Jon,
Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Tracy,
Thanks. I am sure that it is going to take me a few times and some practice to get the tracks and gears lined up. I appreciate the advice on this. For me, one of the joys of having a new camera is learning how it is put together and how it works. But I am old enough to know that I should listen to good advice. :)

Thanks again to everyone.
More later.
Ric