PDA

View Full Version : Source of Plus-X in 5x7 ?

Chad Jarvis
25-Sep-2003, 10:35
Does anyone have a source for the apparently now discontinued Plus-X in 5x7?

Gem Singer
25-Sep-2003, 14:26
Hi Chad, It's probably time to switch to Ilford's FP-4+. A 25 sheet box is just under $30 at B&H. Try it. You'll like it!

Michael Pry
25-Sep-2003, 20:19
Yeah Chad-get with it man!

Chad Jarvis
26-Sep-2003, 15:42
Wow...what an idiot I am! I never would have thought to try a DIFFERENT film. Thank God I have others to do the thinking for me.

D. Kevin Gibson
26-Sep-2003, 16:02
"Wow...what an idiot I am!"

I think it was probably the fact you only just noticed it's been discontinued that might have given that impression.... :-)

Gem Singer
26-Sep-2003, 16:25
Chad,

I apologize if I insulted your intelligence. I assure you that wasn't my intention. Since Plus-X has been discontinued, any 5X7 Plus-X that may still be available is probably out-dated, as you realize.

I was merely suggesting my favorite film in the same speed family. Unlike Kodak, Ilford has made a commitment to large format B&W users. If we support them, they will be around for a while longer. I, for one, will be very dissapointed if Ilford eventually goes down the same path as Kodak.

Bob._3483
26-Sep-2003, 16:49
"Unlike Kodak, Ilford has made a commitment to large format B&W users"

Apart from discontinuing Delta 400 in sheet sizes over a year ago...

OK, to be fair Ilford are much smaller than Kodak and film sales are still a major part of their sales, but according to a news item some months ago, they expect half their sales to come from their digital products during this year and do not expect to invest any more money in new B&W films ever again (although they did record an increase in B&W film sales in the UK last financial year (as indeed did Kodak UK) but did not say by how much or in which sizes).

Gem Singer
26-Sep-2003, 17:10
Bob,

That's exactly what I meant. If we support Ilford's B&W large format efforts, they just may be around for a while longer.

I used Delta 400 in 4X5 sheets when it first came out. Evidentally many users began to realize that it wasn't very good. Ilford discontinued it in sheet film sizes, made the necessary improvements, and re-released it in 35mm and 120. I admire their integrity. Kodak would never admit when one of their products turned out to be a dog.

Jim Galli
26-Sep-2003, 23:12
Chad, I bought a 350 foot roll of Plus X aerial film on Feebay last year and like it very much. It's easy to chop and the 5" width is correct for the holders. It is different I suppose having a bit more red sensitivity but I'm enjoying my 7 cent negs. I can't tell the difference from the look but filter factors are different. I'm 51 now and hoping to get it used up before I'm too old to shoot. I like the aerial Pan-X too for dreary days. It pops. Just a possible option for you.

Chad Jarvis
27-Sep-2003, 07:04
Jim: that's a fine idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled. .07 negs would be sweet.

Eugene: No offense taken. My comment was directed toward that moron, Mike Pry.

Indeed I've been using FP4+ and HP5+, but I sill like Plus-X. I understand it well with D-76, and (not to be too arrogant) I can produce some fine negs well suited to Pt/Pd printing.

Anyway, terrific suggestions, and the really gret thing is that I did get an email from a guy who has a few hundred sheets in a freezer. Outdated shmoutdated - it's black and white.

James Driscoll
27-Sep-2003, 11:04
I apologize if I insulted your intelligence. I assure you that wasn't my intention. Since Plus-X has been discontinued, any 5X7 Plus-X that may still be available is probably out-dated, as you realize.

Kodak is still shipping plus-x in sheet sizes, "discontinued" means not being made anymore, not "unavailable".

Once the warehouse is empty, than it enters the realm of "unavailable", but not completley.

I called all over the country looking for discontinued in 1999 Kodak Recording Film type 2475. Found some in deep freeze in Orange County, CA.

Keep looking right now, and you will find sheet Plus-X in date, that you can freeze yourself.

I was merely suggesting my favorite film in the same speed family. Unlike Kodak, Ilford has made a commitment to large format B&W users. If we support them, they will be around for a while longer. I, for one, will be very dissapointed if Ilford eventually goes down the same path as Kodak.

If you want to go down the road of supporting companies, support companies like Bergger, Efke, Foma, and J and C. They are dealing on levels, that buying 20-50 boxes a year WILL make a contribution. Kodak and Ilford, have so many other intrests that the second certain products stop supporting others-they go away.

Gem Singer
27-Sep-2003, 12:54
Thanks for the correction, James.

I've just begun using Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100 in Quickload. Still using Ilford Ilfotec DD-X developer, as well as Ilford MGFB papers and chemicals, however.

I just don't feel comfortable regressing back to those "old fashioned" films and materials. I remember the "good old days". They actually weren't that good.

Chad Jarvis
27-Sep-2003, 13:54
Does Plus-X in D-76 qualify as "old fashioned"? If so, I'd prefer to live in the past.

Gem Singer
28-Sep-2003, 07:03
No, Chad, Plus-X doesn't qualify as "old fashioned", yet. It is still available in 4X5. D-76/ID-11 will be around for a while.

I was referring to the bold heading on the JandC Photo add in View Camera magazine. "old fashioned films".

James, Since you are sure that Kodak is still shipping Plus-X in 5X7, why not just tell Chad where he can locate the film instead of criticizing what I said.

Gem Singer
28-Sep-2003, 07:04
No, Chad, Plus-X doesn't qualify as "old fashioned", yet. It is still available in 4X5. D-76/ID-11 will be around for a while.

I was referring to the bold heading on the JandC Photo add in View Camera magazine. "old fashioned films".

James, Since you are sure that Kodak is still shipping Plus-X in 5X7, why not just tell Chad where he can locate the film instead of criticizing what I said?

James Driscoll
28-Sep-2003, 22:17
Eugene, I wasn't criticizing what you said....I just corrected you.

I have a friend who is a film salesman....he informed me that his store is still getting shipments of the now doscontinued Plus-X in sheet. Since the store never stocked 5x7, I did not direct Chad to the store.

As my post said....call around and you will find fresh Plus-X in 5x7. Just because B&H doesn't have it doesn't mean nobody else does.

There are still stores that have 4x5 Kodak HIE in the freezer....you just have to find them. (Central Camera in Chicago....)

tim atherton
28-Sep-2003, 22:23
Plus X Pan was discontinued a year ago in October 2002. I can't imagine they were pumping out a lot of 5x7 at that point?

tim atherton
28-Sep-2003, 22:34
James - Central Camera is still listing Plus-X 5x7 on their website....??