PDA

View Full Version : Adding the Aero Ektar to the Speed Graphic

nonuniform
31-Oct-2011, 11:39
I've got the bug to find an Aero Ektar and add it to a Speed Graphic. I have a Crown Graphic, which I love, but wanted something with a longer lens.

Based on everything I've read, I guess the Speed Graphic is the way to go, rather than a Crown Graphic.

Is there a particular version of Speed Graphic I should look for? I know there were differences over time, but I'm not an expert.

Jim Jones
31-Oct-2011, 12:38
An Anniversary model, made from 1940 to 1946, should do well. The Pacemaker series Speed Graphic, made from 1947 to 1973, have a few improvements. Prior to the late 1950s they used a side-mounted rangefinder like the Anniversary model that can be adjusted to accomodate the Aero Ektar. From the late 1950s they incorporated a built-in top-mounted rangefinder that requires a cam to match the rangefinder to the focal length of the lens. This may be more difficult than adjusting the earlier side-mounted rangefinders. If it is just a longer lens you want, there are plenty available that are easier to adapt to a Speed Graphic or Crown than the Aero Ektar. Unlike the Aero Ektar, most will permit the front of the camera to close with the lens mounted. A search for Aero Ektar on this site or on google should lead to much more information.

nonuniform
31-Oct-2011, 12:52
Thanks for the information. I have both an interest in a longer lens, and in fact, have both 180mm and 240mm Schneider lenses, but also found myself really enamored of the look created by the Aero Ektar.

I started this process thinking about a longer lens option on my spare Crown Graphic with top RF, but the lack of a matched cam changed my mind. So, when I started researching the side RF, that lead me to the Aero Ektar, and...well, there you have it.

Lynn Jones
31-Oct-2011, 13:01
I have two, one in Nikon mount and the other for view cameras, I like them and have used them for at least 35 years.

Lynn

anglophone1
31-Oct-2011, 13:23
Anniversary has a bigger FP shutter speed range, Pacemaker better RF.
I prefer the Pacemaker with my Aero.
You can get a properly set up lens board for either at http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/aero/
lots more Graphic + Aero stuff here too.
Tell Jo I sent you!

Michael Cienfuegos
2-Nov-2011, 07:51
I have the Aero-Ektar mounted on my Pacemaker SG. I tried other methods, but finally bought the Jo Lommen lensboard. It works, I don't have to worry about the whole thing falling off the camera.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/5839816697_714434fb23_o.jpg

Corran
2-Nov-2011, 09:49
I don't remember what the Lommen board costs, but for $75 a local machinist made a retaining ring and cut a board to size for me. I sanded down the edges of the front standard and got the AE mounted easily enough.

nonuniform
2-Nov-2011, 15:08
Yep, I found that site, great info.

So, you are using the Pacemaker, FP shutter, and side rangefinder? Do you use the rangefinder to focus?

Anniversary has a bigger FP shutter speed range, Pacemaker better RF.
I prefer the Pacemaker with my Aero.
You can get a properly set up lens board for either at http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/aero/
lots more Graphic + Aero stuff here too.
Tell Jo I sent you!

nonuniform
2-Nov-2011, 15:10
Out of curiousity, has anyone used this combo handheld? I get that it's heavy, but, how heavy? I'm used to using my Crown handheld and getting good, sharp photos down to about 1/60th shutter.

Corran
2-Nov-2011, 20:24
I have but I get better photos with a monopod.

I really don't like the shutter trigger on the Speed - no matter how hard I try to press it lightly it jerks the camera a little when I release it.

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2011, 21:01
I hate to further the Aero-Speed hipster trendiness but there is a video out there from Photo Shelter that has David Burnett showing his set up... he uses the side mounted Speed with a Aero. I believe his has a milled Aluminum support block under the lens (SK Grimes made this for the one I had).

He had a Linhof 90-degree plastic-cased mirror finder attached to the Graflock. He said he doesn't use the rangefinder or ground glass but simply is head-down focusing, then inserting the holder and firing as quickly as possible. In another video I have seen him using a very cheap but lightweight Velbon-type $30 tripod - I suspect this only partially supports the camera but it provides a fixed point to focus from. Handholding at portrait distances means that both the subject and the photographer are slightly swaying, which makes it almost impossible to hit focus. In fact if you look at his portraits with it, most of the people are sitting, sort of like 19th-Century wet plate....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINHOF-TECHNIKA-4X5-90o-MIRROR-VIEWFINDER-NICE-CLEAN-/280766251203?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item415ef900c3#ht_3412wt_1096 This is one, his was black and it would need a little surgery to fit onto a Graflex.

I do like David's work with the Aero-Speed. That a cottage industry has sprung up around copying him should tell you something. Good luck.

Michael Cienfuegos
2-Nov-2011, 21:23
I tried shooting mine hand-held, but this old guy just can't hold it steady any more. It weighs nearly eleven pounds, I use a tripod.:(

anglophone1
3-Nov-2011, 01:33
Yep, I found that site, great info.

So, you are using the Pacemaker, FP shutter, and side rangefinder? Do you use the rangefinder to focus?

Sometimes.
Where possible I prefer to use a tripod an ground glass.
I have used the RF when working on quick portraits, either handheld or monopod( better) you need a fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake though,

anglophone1
3-Nov-2011, 01:35
I don't remember what the Lommen board costs, but for $75 a local machinist made a retaining ring and cut a board to size for me. I sanded down the edges of the front standard and got the AE mounted easily enough.
EUR 115 + shipping

nonuniform
11-Nov-2011, 00:21
It's funny, I'd never heard of David Burnett until I started looking for a longer lens for my Crown Graphic. One thing led to another and I was discovering the Aero Ektar, and then Burnett. The reason I like the lens is that it opens up to f/2.5. Otherwise, I'd slap my Schneider 180mm on a Speed Graphic and be done with it.

Wayne Aho
10-Apr-2012, 05:50
The Lommen lensboard is about $170 with shipping at the current dollar euro exchange. Well worth it, it is well made, and took about 5 minutes to set up and mount to the camera. It also balances the lens in the front standard, so no extra support is needed.

Wayne