PDA

View Full Version : Ilfochrome discontinued?

Roger Cole
30-Oct-2011, 18:16
I saw these links on APUG. They certainly look like the half expected bad news. Can anyone confirm them?

I was thinking about getting back into Ilfochrome but even at today's prices much less with a 30% increase I can't stockpile any meaningful amount, and I'm not about to jump back into a process that will be gone by the time I practice with it a bit.

:( :( :( :(

If this is confirmed, there is now essentially no good, totally analog/optical way of printing from a positive color original.* You can scan and output with inkjet, which can look pretty good but not like Ilfochrome, or I suppose the scan can be reversed by software and output on something like a Lambda but conventional reversal printing is dead. You can reportedly also reversal process RA4 but again, not with the best of results.

http://noringcircus.blogspot.com/2011/10/death-of-analogue-photography.html

I don't read German but I'm sure someone here does:

http://www.aphog.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19218

Someone in Switzerland and thus probably closer to the source:

http://kodachromeproject.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7260&postcount=44

From the first link above

=======================

Dear Customer,
ILFOCHROME Classic has been a flagship brand within the ILFORD range of products for well over forty years. The importance of this range is underlined by the fact that ILFORD has continued to manufacture this product even though overall demand has decreased significantly over the last few years. The reduction in volume has led to higher production costs that have been further exacerbated by the dramatic increase in the cost of silver.
Unfortunately, the combination of low demand and higher raw material and production costs has left us no alternative but to discontinue the ILFOCHROME CLASSIC materials and related P3/P3X chemistry.
The affected products are:
ILFOCHROME CLASSIC
CLEAR DISPLAY FILM – CC.F7
TRANSLUCENT DISPLAY FILM – CT.F7
DELUXE GLOSSY MEDIUM CONTRAST – CLM.1K DELUXE GLOSSY NORMAL CONTRAST – CPS.1K
We understand the importance of these products to you and your business, and therefore, if there is sufficient demand, we are proposing a final production. We would like to offer you the opportunity to make a final purchase with the following conditions:
• An official purchase order will need to be placed by 30thNovember 2011.
• Will hold the pre-ordered rolls in storage until June 2013.
• ILFORD Payments for the order can be made in monthly installments.
As indicated, ILFORD has fully absorbed the high raw material and production and unfortunately we are unable to do this for the final production. Therefore, we will need to increase our supply price to you by 30% However, this price will be held
between now and June 2013 and covers all storage and inventory costs.
We would like to thank you for your understanding with this situation and if you have any questions or need any further information, please contact
Mr. Christian Neumann (Tel: +41 26 435 7504)
We look forward to continue serving you in the future Yours sincerely
Paul Willems CEO

=======================

*EDIT: Internegatives. Why didn't I remember internegatives? Some folks have mentioned making pretty good ones on Portra 160. Given the price of Ilfochrome that may prove to be cheaper if not as easy and still give pretty good results.

John Henry
30-Oct-2011, 18:29
Well, it's sad, but Ilfochrome/Cibachrome was a specialty type process from the beginning and so it was bound to suffer when it's user base evaporated. I have a bunch of paper, but no chemicals. I wish I could mix my chemicals from scratch just to use my old paper up or at least to see if it's any good at least. I should have used it all up in the first place, but other priorities came up and I didn't use my darkroom for anything except B&W for years. When I did do Cibachrome printing I found it much easier then what some people say and the results had a depth of color that just jumped off the paper. Ah, the good old days! JohnW

Roger Cole
30-Oct-2011, 18:33
Well, it's sad, but Ilfochrome/Cibachrome was a specialty type process from the beginning and so it was bound to suffer when it's user base evaporated. I have a bunch of paper, but no chemicals. I wish I could mix my chemicals from scratch just to use my old paper up or at least to see if it's any good at least. I should have used it all up in the first place, but other priorities came up and I didn't use my darkroom for anything except B&W for years. When I did do Cibachrome printing I found it much easier then what some people say and the results had a depth of color that just jumped off the paper. Ah, the good old days! JohnW

My experience too - very easy as long as the original was fairly flat and could be printed without masking.

A former Kodak chemical engineer has posted a proposed bleach formula over on APUG and said he could probably come up with a better one. The developer and fixer are regular black and white stuff, I believe. At least we used to buy just the bleach and use Dektol and rapid fix. Ilford changed the developer, supposedly with an ingredient that improved it, but possibly just so you couldn't duplicate it any more. I think black and white print developer will still work. It essentially IS a black and white material in a way.

John Henry
30-Oct-2011, 20:17
My experience too - very easy as long as the original was fairly flat and could be printed without masking.

A former Kodak chemical engineer has posted a proposed bleach formula over on APUG and said he could probably come up with a better one. The developer and fixer are regular black and white stuff, I believe. At least we used to buy just the bleach and use Dektol and rapid fix. Ilford changed the developer, supposedly with an ingredient that improved it, but possibly just so you couldn't duplicate it any more. I think black and white print developer will still work. It essentially IS a black and white material in a way.

Yes, the bleach is the bitch! Solve that problem and the rest should be easy. All I know is that buying the chemicals for the amount of printing that I do at one time is a "no go". I agree that the scene has to be fairly flat or things will get tricky with Ilfochome, but when you hit it right it is impressive.
Are you talking about PE (Photo Engineer) on the apug forms coming up with a bleach formula? I must have somehow missed it or forgot about it. I'll have to try and search it out again. John

Roger Cole
31-Oct-2011, 09:12
Yes, the bleach is the bitch! Solve that problem and the rest should be easy. All I know is that buying the chemicals for the amount of printing that I do at one time is a "no go". I agree that the scene has to be fairly flat or things will get tricky with Ilfochome, but when you hit it right it is impressive.
Are you talking about PE (Photo Engineer) on the apug forms coming up with a bleach formula? I must have somehow missed it or forgot about it. I'll have to try and search it out again. John

Yep. Here's Ron's post about it where he also says he'll look for info on a better, safer and more readily available, catalyst:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=866254

Drew Wiley
31-Oct-2011, 09:54
I'd just buy a complete starter set of P3 chem and mix per session. It keeps well. I'm
down to one batch of paper and chem. In the meantime I've be debugging Crystal
Archive supergloss as an alternative. Quite a bit easier and cheaper than Ciba, but
annoyingly, seems to be available only in 32 inch wide rolls. But even this kind of
project is dependent upon the suvival of 8x10 Kodak neg film. My main problem is just
time. I have a whole freezer of dye transfer printing film and can't do much with it yet.
It will indeed be a sad day if only blaaaah inkjet becomes the practical home option.
Crystal Archive itself has better display fading characteristics than Ciba but inferior
dark storage potential. But you can use all the same drums etc for RA4 as for P3.

Roger Cole
31-Oct-2011, 10:03
But you're talking printing neg film direct to RA4, correct?

Anyone have any experience getting good results from positive originals using internegs?

I just bought a bunch (thankfully, supposedly frozen, outdated, didn't pay much) of 120 Astia primarily with Ilfochrome printing in mind, plus that unopened box of 4x5 E100SW in the freezer. Oh well, it can still be scanned.

Mark Sampson
31-Oct-2011, 10:16
Kodak's internegative film 4325 has been discontinued for five years or so... killed by the film scanner and digital printing. Few mourned its loss.

dsphotog
31-Oct-2011, 10:49
I wonder how Christopher Burkett will print without Ilfochrome?

Roger Cole
31-Oct-2011, 11:03
Kodak's internegative film 4325 has been discontinued for five years or so... killed by the film scanner and digital printing. Few mourned its loss.

I know that. But Kodak recommends instead using Portra 160 and I've read reports of people doing so with good results, just not the details. I've never made an interneg. A paper easel backed with black paper maybe to prevent reflection back up through the film? Any tips on filtration and exposure etc?

Drew Wiley
31-Oct-2011, 11:54
Roger - I've gotten decent internegs using Portra films; but just like Ciba, for the best
results you need to know how to mask them. What I haven't tried yet is the newest
Portra 400, which looks like it might be a quality interneg film. Other than curve shape, contrast etc, it's a simple matter of a register contact frame and simple colorhead
balance to make RA4 internegs. Not that tricky unless you're working with something
off the wall in contrast like Velvia, where you can end up with some harshness to
certain hues (though not as gawd-awful as what most digital printers deliberately do).

Roger Cole
31-Oct-2011, 12:49
Ok, so you are contact printing them. I suppose I was thinking along the lines of enlarged internegs, projecting 35mm onto 120 film, or contact printing 120. Exposure I suppose would be initially by lots of trial and lots of error, but once you had it down you'd be "close in the ballpark" for subsequent ones.

I've been doing color prints (well back when I did them and will again) with filters in a condenser filter drawer but a color head or dedicated enlarger is on the "one day I'll get" list. No reason I can't do these with filters either, just more hassle changing.

EDIT: Of course this is the LFPF and contact printing would be the way to go for LF. I was thinking about 35mm slides because that's currently all I have in transparencies, but I have quite a lot of them.

Asher Kelman
31-Oct-2011, 13:16
Roger - I've gotten decent internegs using Portra films; but just like Ciba, for the best
results you need to know how to mask them. What I haven't tried yet is the newest
Portra 400, which looks like it might be a quality interneg film. Other than curve shape, contrast etc, it's a simple matter of a register contact frame and simple colorhead
balance to make RA4 internegs. Not that tricky unless you're working with something
off the wall in contrast like Velvia, where you can end up with some harshness to
certain hues (though not as gawd-awful as what most digital printers deliberately do).

Drew,

How large can one get the Portra film?

As far as the Cibachrome is concerned, if my tests go ahead fine, and I see myself doing quality work, I'll go ahead and order some large rolls enough until 2113. That essentially means 2 years of ultra large format work.

Do we know the lifespan of frozen Ciba? Of course the filtration might change, but what would be the extra useful life possible? One would have to have some guarantee that 50" wide processing will continue until 2113 or else one could have a wonderful hoard of useless material stored in Switzerland!

Asher

Roger Cole
31-Oct-2011, 13:27
2113? You can store it for 112 years? ;)

James Hilton
31-Oct-2011, 14:09
I know that. But Kodak recommends instead using Portra 160 and I've read reports of people doing so with good results, just not the details. I've never made an interneg. A paper easel backed with black paper maybe to prevent reflection back up through the film? Any tips on filtration and exposure etc?

Roger, I tried to do this with Portra 160VC some time ago. I had an old 35mm Agfachrome slide which I enlarged to 5x4. I have sketchy notes as it was not a total success despite several attempts, but I remember they were pulled during processing about 1/3 to 1/2 stop to reduce contrast (in other words I guestimated :rolleyes: ). I think where I went wrong was not balancing the enlarger light for daylight well enough. I put the Portra into darkslides which I then positioned on the enlarger base using a very simple wooden jig I made and used an old piece of film for focusing when setting up. Sorry I can't remember too much more.

In the end I sent it off for a drum scan and then had it printed by a lab on a lightjet onto FCA paper as I was just not happy with the results.

Daniel Stone
31-Oct-2011, 14:22
Drew,

How large can one get the Portra film?

Asher

As far as I know, any size you want. But you gotta "pay to play". MINIMUM orders usually START at ~$15k for a custom run. Not a small chunk o' change.

I'd say just shoot 8x10(which is a standard size in Kodak's book) and enlarge, or drum scan and digitally output. A friend of mine goes to 40x80 regularly from 5x8(cropped to 4x8) color neg film(cut down from 8x10 film to 5x8"). He also shoots 5x8 provia 100f(again, cut down for 8x10). He gets it drum scanned and output via lightjet to Kodak endura metallic paper. Stunning... all I can say ;). And I can barely start to make out grain at that size(about a 10x enlargment). Of course viewing distance is about 5-7ft, but I like sticking my nose to the print to see fine details(which are there) :D.

-Dan

p.s. Fuji also has their "supergloss" which many people have switched to digital output with to "mirror" the glossy, high contrast finish of Ilfochrome. Processing is MUCH cheaper than Ilfochrome, not to mention finding used RA-4 processors and spare parts is much cheaper, along with paper cost(about 1/3-1/2 the cost of Ilfochrome per sq. in)

Asher Kelman
31-Oct-2011, 15:21
I wonder how Christopher Burkett will print without Ilfochrome?
Who says he will be without Ciba? I understand 10 years ago he got a huge stor. So he could refresh it!

Asher

Drew Wiley
31-Oct-2011, 15:26
Roger - enlarged internegs are easy. You just have to have everything on plane and
beware of image orientation. I modified a metal 8x10 filmholder to accept vacuum so
the film stays perfectly flat (better than projecting thru glass). Then you'll need a
really good apo enlarger lens. I use a 240 Apo Nikkor. Everything dead level of course.
I do this with a YGB colorhead, so doubt if my personal cc specs would be applicable
to other setups. I'd take a "standard" chrome of a Macbeath chart and aim for clean
neturals. Of course, you have to balance to the C-paper itself, so it's takes a bit of
jockeying back and forth, but no big deal. My secret weapon is a ZBE cc reader,
which makes the average easel densitometer look like something from the Pleistocene;
but not many of these were ever made. But a color inteneg has a lot more inherent
prinitng latitude than an interpositive. Of course, nothing looks like a Ciba but a Ciba,
and it's some of the inherent reproduction idiosyncrasies which accomplish this. With
Fuji Supergloss you've got a new learning curve esthetically; but properly done and
you can still come up with something stunning.

Drew Wiley
31-Oct-2011, 15:38
Chris B. isn't a youngster, so his stash of materials should tide him for the better part
of his remianing career. I don't know how well Ciba keeps in the frozen state before troublesome highlt shifting (but I'll inevitably find out). So Asher - it might be a good
idea to start rethinking direct 8x10 film shots. Chromes can be printed digitally onto
Supergloss, but I don't know if the really big sizes of paper (wider than 32") will be
available in the future. Ordinary gloss Cystal Archive C-paper can be done quite large,
either digitally or directly from Portra negatives. "Reading" a negative takes some
experience - you can't just whip it on a lightbox and judge the color.

Asher Kelman
31-Oct-2011, 16:13
Chris B. isn't a youngster, so his stash of materials should tide him for the better part
of his remianing career. I don't know how well Ciba keeps in the frozen state before troublesome highlt shifting (but I'll inevitably find out). So Asher - it might be a good
idea to start rethinking direct 8x10 film shots. Chromes can be printed digitally onto
Supergloss, but I don't know if the really big sizes of paper (wider than 32") will be
available in the future. Ordinary gloss Cystal Archive C-paper can be done quite large,
either digitally or directly from Portra negatives. "Reading" a negative takes some
experience - you can't just whip it on a lightbox and judge the color.

Drew,

I'll be testing some Provia enlargements to Ciba. One step at a time! As far as widths of Fuji paper, it might have to be special ordered, but at least they are making the stuff!

Asher

rich caramadre
5-Nov-2011, 06:57
Drew,
Are you saying crystal archive ra-4 paper will last longer than ilfochrome?

ChrisFromFrance
9-Nov-2011, 04:20
Hi

Cibachrome is still alive ;-)
Just to let you know that Cibachrome/Ilfochrome will be discontinued (in France) in 2025 !

Roland Dufau continues to print Cibachrome in Paris ! More information can be found on its web site : rolanddufau.com (http://www.rolanddufau.com/en/index.php)

Chris

Sal Santamaura
9-Nov-2011, 08:59
...Just to let you know that Cibachrome/Ilfochrome will be discontinued (in France) in 2025...Roland Dufau continues to print Cibachrome in Paris...The link offers no insight into your claim of availability through 2025. Are you saying that Dufau is ordering sufficient material from the final coating to last 14 years at his current consumption rate? If so, how does he plan to obtain necessary chemistry in the future?

bob carnie
9-Nov-2011, 09:06
Sal

In the day when Ciba was colour king, many labs made their own chemistry's, using various black and white developers and Bleach options.
Their is no issue for this artist Europe to buy in bulk and make his/her own chemicals if they are so inclined. If I was this person I would tag my purchase of paper to the bleach formula.

I imagine this is exactly what Jeff Wall will do, He was at one point the largest customer for Cibachrome material in North America, making all commercial labs envious in his purchase power.

Bob

The link offers no insight into your claim of availability through 2025. Are you saying that Dufau is ordering sufficient material from the final coating to last 14 years at his current consumption rate? If so, how does he plan to obtain necessary chemistry in the future?

Wayne
9-Nov-2011, 22:15
Yep. Here's Ron's post about it where he also says he'll look for info on a better, safer and more readily available, catalyst:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=866254

2 years 2 months and counting since that. I stopped holding my breath a while back. There is another Apug thread about home brewed bleach where some people had promising initial results, but that fizzled out and it's all a moot point without anything to print on. In my experience it only lasts a few years frozen and I cant afford a 35 year supply (assuming I print well into my 80s ) so I'm out. But I've been pretty much out for a few years anyway, sadly. I sure loved it when it was available and affordable. :( :( :( :(

Wayne
9-Nov-2011, 22:16
I really think they should suspend the 4 emoticon rule for this thread. :( :( :( :(

Roger Cole
9-Nov-2011, 23:04
2 years 2 months and counting since that. I stopped holding my breath a while back. There is another Apug thread about home brewed bleach where some people had promising initial results, but that fizzled out and it's all a moot point without anything to print on. In my experience it only lasts a few years frozen and I cant afford a 35 year supply (assuming I print well into my 80s ) so I'm out. But I've been pretty much out for a few years anyway, sadly. I sure loved it when it was available and affordable. :( :( :( :(

Granted, I didn't notice the date. But he says the version he gives works fine if you can get the phenazine, and I'm sure he's forgotten about it. Someone could write him and ask.

I really think they should suspend the 4 emoticon rule for this thread.

I tend to agree. I wonder if it will let me quote more than four?

EDIT: No, it wouldn't. So I'll make an ASCII one that it won't recognize by including the nose: :-(

ChrisFromFrance
10-Nov-2011, 05:32
Why 2025 ?
Because the French government ordered to the Air Force Army (up to 2025) that photographs are printed on Cibachrome.
Chemistry for this paper should be available too to 2025.

But Roland Dufau expected to retire in 2 years ;-(

Here is a link of Roland Dufau interview (need to be translate with Google)
http://www.holdupphoto.com/club.php?id_n=91
or this PDF (english)
100% Ciba (http://www.rolanddufau.com/shares/roland_dufau_answers_photo.pdf)

MHMG
14-Nov-2011, 10:55
I guess we are getting down to the wire. It's been my intention for some time to benchmark Ilfochrome (the classic polyester base reflection base material) in the Aardenburg lightfastness database along with other "traditional color" processes. I've done Fuji Crystal Archive II already, but it would be great to have Ilfochrome (aka Cibachrome) benchmarked with a modern full colorimetric light fade test... for better guidance to be given to collectors and for the historic record of a grand photographic era.

The digital labs operating Lightjets and Lambdas all seem to have converted to Ciba look-alike products (Fujiflex, etc) already. That may leave only a few smaller labs printing optically (analog) remaining. Can anyone help me locate a lab that is still up and running with Iflochrome, preferably in the US or Canada?

I've got a lead on a lab in Burbank, CA called "The LAB-Ciba" but I haven't gotten a call back yet. Any other places you guys can think of? I'd prefer to go direct digital to a Lightjet, but will go from digital file to transparency to Ilfochrome if need be. Just need a satisfactory reproduction of my standard color test target on the Ilfochrome print material.

thanks in advance of any leads you can give me.

Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Asher Kelman
14-Nov-2011, 11:45
I guess we are getting down to the wire. It's been my intention for some time to benchmark Ilfochrome (the classic polyester base reflection base material) in the Aardenburg lightfastness database along with other "traditional color" processes. I've done Fuji Crystal Archive II already, but it would be great to have Ilfochrome (aka Cibachrome) benchmarked with a modern full colorimetric light fade test... for better guidance to be given to collectors and for the historic record of a grand photographic era.

The digital labs operating Lightjets and Lambdas all seem to have converted to Ciba look-alike products (Fujiflex, etc) already. That may leave only a few smaller labs printing optically (analog) remaining. Can anyone help me locate a lab that is still up and running with Iflochrome, preferably in the US or Canada?

I've got a lead on a lab in Burbank, CA called "The LAB-Ciba" but I haven't gotten a call back yet. Any other places you guys can think of? I'd prefer to go direct digital to a Lightjet, but will go from digital file to transparency to Ilfochrome if need be. Just need a satisfactory reproduction of my standard color test target on the Ilfochrome print material.

Mark

LAB-Ciba in Burbank is perfect for you. The take transparencies up to 8"x10".

Asher

Drew Wiley
14-Nov-2011, 12:10
I don't know how long Ciba paper keeps frozen. The chem are fairly stable unmixed.
Fujiflex and other CA papers are much more stable when thawed; but a batch of Ciba
has to be used within a few months or there will be significant color shifts. You've also
got the problem of importation. I doubt that alleged French govt specs are going to
change the destiny of any product line which is no longer commercially viable. The
good news is that Fuji seems to be providing more widths of current Supergloss again.
Of course, it can be printed with Lightjet or Chromira etc from chromes. But I'll print
directly from LF color negs, and can only hope that quality neg film itself will be around
long enough. I already have plenty of LF chromes on hand to print from, and will likely
just do a handful of them on my remaining dye transfer and Ciba materials. Crystal
Archive is just so so much cheaper to print, and in those large sizes intended for wll
display, seems more resistant to light fading too.

MHMG
14-Nov-2011, 13:28
LAB-Ciba in Burbank is perfect for you. The take transparencies up to 8"x10".

Asher

Thanks Asher, I just got off the phone with Frank at LAB-Ciba. He will have to generate a transparency from my digital target as an intermediate step since Frank does traditional optical enlargements, but he's the man. It's doable. I'm really excited about this project!

If anyone knows of any labs still running Ilfochome on Lambdas or Lightjets and can take my digital files directly, I'd like to hear from you. I'd also like to obtain an Iflochrome print direct-from-file to Lightjet or lambda output if it's still possible.

cheers,
Mark

Asher Kelman
14-Nov-2011, 14:54
Thanks Asher, I just got off the phone with Frank at LAB-Ciba. He will have to generate a transparency from my digital target as an intermediate step since Frank does traditional optical enlargements, but he's the man. It's doable. I'm really excited about this project!

Frank is an exceptionally devoted man and I'd trust him.

If anyone knows of any labs still running Ilfochome on Lambdas or Lightjets and can take my digital files directly, I'd like to hear from you. I'd also like to obtain an Iflochrome print direct-from-file to Lightjet or lambda output if it's still possible.

That would be good to know about as shooting negative color film is more forgiving than transparencies and then one does not have to add an additional step of making an 8x10 transparency before enlarging to the Ciba paper. Just wondering what the difference would be in scanning a tranny and printing to Coba via Lightjet or Lambda versus direct enlargement. Which would have the greatest MTF? Where are the weak points in each workflow chain of steps?

Asher

bob carnie
14-Nov-2011, 15:23
My Lab, Elevator was making Lambda cibachromes up till 2007 or so , you may want to try Hance Partners in Arizona.

Mark

Drew Wiley
14-Nov-2011, 16:31
Different controls, Asher. Scanning will of course allow you to manipulate the contrast
and range of the image without resorting to silver masking. But I definitely prefer the seamless look of an actual enlargement, which properly done, unquestionably will hold
more extreme detail in a Ciba printed from LF. But given the size you want to print, either method should be capable of superb results and look sharp if the original is. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a lot more important to find a good printer and work with whatever particular skills that are comfortable to him personally.

MHMG
15-Nov-2011, 10:05
My Lab, Elevator was making Lambda cibachromes up till 2007 or so , you may want to try Hance Partners in Arizona.

Bob, thanks. Hance Partners is one of the labs I called first. Their website indicates they are still offering Ilfochrome, but alas, no more. Weldon, also no more. Laumont in NYC didn't return my call nor answer my email, so it doesn't seem a likely source, either.

It appears that the labs with Lightjets or Lambdas (the two machines I know that have enough laser power to image onto Ilfochrome) have converted over to RA-4 compatible emulsions coated on reflection and translucent PET base. Mimics the look of Cibachrome, but it isn't!

Asher Kelman
15-Nov-2011, 10:24
The MAC group has taken over distribution of Ilfochrome, BTW. Rolls used to arrive in any condition including scuffed or bent at the end. Now they are packed, rather superpacked with great devotion with all sorts of protection, according to Frank of LAB Ciba.

Asher

bob carnie
15-Nov-2011, 11:13
We tried to hold on as long as possible, there is more desire to have prints on Ciba now than when I was offering the service. Lamount I believe is not doing it.
You are correct laser power was needed to make it work , I wish I could direct you to an operation using Lambdas and Ciba, I think it may be tough finding this combination as large city rent is tough to warrant a process not pulling its financial weight.
laser power is the same for the lambda fibres I am doing, there is more of a market.

Bob, thanks. Hance Partners is one of the labs I called first. Their website indicates they are still offering Ilfochrome, but alas, no more. Weldon, also no more. Laumont in NYC didn't return my call nor answer my email, so it doesn't seem a likely source, either.

It appears that the labs with Lightjets or Lambdas (the two machines I know that have enough laser power to image onto Ilfochrome) have converted over to RA-4 compatible emulsions coated on reflection and translucent PET base. Mimics the look of Cibachrome, but it isn't!

Lungeh
20-Nov-2011, 22:14
I remember hearing, also, that one of the Disney divisions was still committed to use of Ilfochrome and the largest remaining corporate customer.

The paper (unprocessed) is remarkably stable, if treated well and on the poly base. I actually mixed a batch in the CAP-40 last night and ran prints on several different papers. A package Cibachrome A-II (early '80s) printed well, while some later supplies on the paper base were nothing but mud.

OTOH I printed quite a bit in the late '80s (couldn't afford much then) and using current and new supplies was much more productive than fooling around with expired stuff...

The developer and fix can be replaced with Dektol and any fix, it's the bleach and its catalysts that is the trick.

Andrea Gazzoni
11-Jan-2012, 07:02
my color lab confirmed today that Ilfochrome will be available until Dec 2012.
2013 supply from Ilford is based upon the volume of requests...

ChrisFromFrance
12-Jan-2012, 03:54
You're right Andrea, everything changes very quickly these days. Roland Dufau, in direct contact with Ilford, will soon provide more information...

ChrisFromFrance
12-Jan-2012, 04:11
On this web site http://www.rolanddufau.com/interview.php you can find a recent interview about the last 2 handmade Cibachrome printers in France (in French)